Author Topic: HSM100 sensor sensitivity  (Read 8685 times)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
HSM100 sensor sensitivity
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:59:43 pm »
Does anyone know how sensitive the HSM100 multi sensor's IR motion detection is?

For example,... would a large-ish cat set it off?

See below for smart home's page on the sensor I'm talking about:
http://www.smarthome.com/12677/HomeSeer-HSM100-Z-Wave-Multi-Sensor/p.aspx
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: HSM100 sensor sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 04:17:15 pm »
afaict most of the PIRs support a sensitivity setting. Look at the manual, the HSM has one iirc.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 06:44:30 pm »
Thanks,... I see that now,... 0-255 for IR motion detection sensitivity (255 = most sensitive). Does anyone have experience with a pet friendly setting? The only thing I saw was a pet "immune" setting of 10. But I don't want it Great Dane immune (and hence preschooler immune), just 15-20 lb cat immune. I'm guessing I'd be OK with a setting of 25-35,... but anyone know?
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:59:09 pm »
Worst case, spend a Sunday afternoon with your cat empirically finding the ideal sensitivity...

...and then report back because I have the same device and question   ;D

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:07:56 pm »
My question is... How big's your pet?

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 07:26:59 pm »
My question is... How big's your pet?
* davegravy removes mind from gutter.  ;)

15-20lbs sounds about right.

Funny how the standard descriptor is weight. What if my animal was light as a feather but had jumbo-afro fur!

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:44:34 pm »
The fur doesn't set off the IR motion detector, it's the body underneath that does,...  ;)

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 11:42:06 pm »
The fur doesn't set off the IR motion detector, it's the body underneath that does,...  ;)

Ok, i'm being overly persistent here, but: what about two equal weight animals, one of which presents a much larger surface area in one dimension... like a flounder!

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 03:46:18 pm »
The sensor detects movement. If you're a 1200 lb draft animal but don't move an inch, you very well may not set it off,... But if you're a 200 lb man jumping up because of a touchdown, you will. I don't know the exact engineering behind it...

By the way,... I can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust the sensitivity (I use a MCV Vera1 running UI2). There's no setting that says "sensitivity," at least not in the Vera's interface,... and nothing like that in the LinuxMCE web admin screens either.

I'm at a loss,... and this is a secondary concern right now. I'm actually more interested in how to turn my Wowwee Rovio into a surveillance camera...

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 04:10:04 pm »

By the way,... I can't for the life of me figure out how to adjust the sensitivity (I use a MCV Vera1 running UI2). There's no setting that says "sensitivity," at least not in the Vera's interface,... and nothing like that in the LinuxMCE web admin screens either.

I'm at a loss,... and this is a secondary concern right now. I'm actually more interested in how to turn my Wowwee Rovio into a surveillance camera...

there should be a command that can be issued to the zwave interface which included the nodeid, parameter# and parameter data...

Parameter data is the sensitivity setting 0-255... Not sure what parameter# is correct tho.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 04:19:36 pm »
There is a string of comma separated numbers in the one field under the advanced tab of the MCV Vera interface. I read something about it being the first variable. I don't want to break anything by monkeying around though. Besides, I think my HSM100 might be offline, though. I'm getting a red "gear" icon in the MCV screens,... The batteries may have died.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 01:30:57 pm »
from http://www.expresscontrols.com/pdf/EZMotionOwnerManual.pdf

Configuration Settings:
Parameter Number 1, Sensitivity, Default 200, Valid values 0-255

Sensitivity sets the amount of motion required for EZMotion to detect motion. A higher value makes it more sensitive and a lower value makes it less sensitive. Note that values above 200 are not recommended when EZMotion is battery operated. Recommended values:
10 = Pet Immune
100 = Medium sensitivity for hallways
200 = Highly sensitive for rooms where people are sitting still
0-255

RTFM!
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 04:14:33 pm »
I found that,... But I use a MCV Vera as my primary controller,... It has no isolated "sensitivity" setting for the device,... And in the advanced tab, it just report a few fields,... one with a string of comma separated values... I don't want to go changing things willie-nillie... So, for the time being,... I'm S-O-L.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 05:47:23 pm »
I found that,... But I use a MCV Vera as my primary controller,... It has no isolated "sensitivity" setting for the device,... And in the advanced tab, it just report a few fields,... one with a string of comma separated values... I don't want to go changing things willie-nillie... So, for the time being,... I'm S-O-L.

Chop the Vera out of the loop and let LinuxMCE do the job and you're all set ;-... or just do the PIR config on the device as there is usually a way to do that too.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 08:38:47 pm »
Vera gives me an external connection without a third party IP service,... So, I'm not cutting it out. Can't find any references for doing a PIR config for this device on a Vera, so I'll just have to experiment... So much for the feature lists for this device that say its sensitivity can easily be adjusted for pets... I guess that means for Z-wave developers...