Author Topic: MD5 Checksum for Download Boot Disk ISO  (Read 3754 times)

new2linux

• View Profile
MD5 Checksum for Download Boot Disk ISO
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:46:47 pm »
Hello all,

I have downloaded the LinuxMCE ISO (a few times now) and burnt it to a DVD (using Nero)...but every time time I try to boot up my machines (yes, I've even tried numerous PCs), the disks are just ignored (as though they aren't bootable disks) and the computer instructs me to load a boot disk to continue.

Now, in each of the same machines I've tried booting the PCs with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, Debian, LinuxMint and even Windoze and all of those work just fine. It's just LinuxMCE which doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas guys? Is there something special/different I need to do (in order to get a good boot disk for LinuxMCE)?

I've seen suggestions that I should check/verify the MD5 Checksum, but I don't see one provided anywhere on the site.

Appreciate any and all help to get me started with LinuxMCE.

Thanks guys!

CeeDee

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: MD5 Checksum for Download Boot Disk ISO
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:52:30 pm »
Firstly Hi and welcome to the Forums.
  • What version did you download?
  • Where did you download the snapshot from?

You can download snapshots from http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/

Karel

bushtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:59:19 pm »
Welcome ;D

Are you burning at the slowest speed?
Core:Asus P8H77-V, Intel core i3-3240 LGA155, Inno 3D Nvidia 240 GT (DVI+VGA+HDMI), 4Gb ram, 125Gb SSD
MD: Zotax Zbox ID41

new2linux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:18:35 pm »
Much thanks (both for the warm welcome, as well as the very quick replies)! This place is awesome!!!

To answer the questions directed at me...I downloaded the ISO from the download tab/page of the LinuxMCE website....but the link provided by DragonK suits the bill perfectly....and I'm now downloading a file from there (let's see how that goes - fingers crossed).

With regards to burn speed...I did not burn the ISO at the lowest speed, but rather at a mid-point speed. Could that be an issue? I just tried burning another disc (at the mid-point speed again) and this time I was able to boot up, however, I see the following message, and I'm not sure what to do next:

>> ISOLINUX 3.63 Debian....blah blah blah....Copyright ....blah blah blah....H. Peter Anvin
>> boot:

If I type anything at the boot: prompt, I receive a message that says "Could not find kernel image _____"

Is there still a problem somewhere/with something...or is this normal behavior?

Thanks again,

CD

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:19:16 pm »
Just press <enter> at the boot: prompt. Don't type anything. Does that help?

new2linux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:49:20 pm »
No, it didn't help....and matter of fact, pressing [Enter] was actually the very first thing I dd as well....and all it said was "Could not find kernel image Linux".

Any other thoughts/ideas?

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 08:03:51 pm »
Sorry to continue with the obvious questions but.... confirm that you did actually "burn the image" to the DVD, and didn't just copy the file to the DVD?

Also, perhaps post the snapshot version (filename of image) in case others have the same problem.

new2linux

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 10:20:56 pm »
All's well that ends well - or so I hope!

I had the same thing happen (being shown a "boot:" prompt) with another disc that I just created (from a snapshot download), but as it turns out I just turned away (and let it be for a while) and next thing you know the installation had proceeded and I saw the LinuxMCE logo.

So now it's at the stage of formatting/partitioning the HDD.

Hope it all goes well from here on (fingers crossed).

Thanks for all the help.

CD