Author Topic: Dianemo S: Big Fonts in LMCE Launch Manager  (Read 7945 times)

murcel

• Guru
    • View Profile
Dianemo S: Big Fonts in LMCE Launch Manager
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:11:30 pm »
After installation of the dianemo s, i got following behaviour, that the lmce launch box and all website, i start under "computing" have very big fonts, so that it is nearly not usable.

All other things are normal. means the UI and also the desktop is fine.

This is only on the Core. On the media director its quite normal, but resolution is only 1024x768 while on the core we have fullHD

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Re: Dianemo S: Big Fonts in LMCE Launch Manager
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:20:22 am »
Sounds like the dpi is not set right in KDE... This was a very common issue with Intel graphics chipsets with older versions of Kubuntu... I think it's possible to edit the KDE configs manually with nano or view... Check the Ubuntu forums, or if someone else here can jump in, on fixing the dpi settings for Kubuntu for the version that your Dianemo installation's using...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

murcel

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:29:54 am »
Its funny because its only happening in all lmce related boxes and not on ubuntu desktop.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 05:26:34 pm »
Hmmm,... Don't know how the KDE desktop components of LinuxMCE are configured,... But it's possible that the desktop KDE, and what LinuxMCE uses are stored in two different places,... In other words, it's possible that the KDE screens you are seeing is something like a switch user as opposed to just loading the previously suppressed full desktop with the same user authority that LinuxMCE is running at... where it would be using the same KDE settings, in desktop and normal modes.

Of course, the alternative is that the Orbiter setups are using the wrong DPI or font size for the stuff that's not pre-rendered. But Dianemo diverges from a normal LinuxMCE, doing something custom on the UI front, doesn't it??

Keep in mind that Ubuntu & Kubuntu are different in the font display arena. Earlier versions of Kubuntu had trouble with Intel graphics chips, while the Gnome based Ubuntu of the same version did just fine. There was something about the way KDE did its font rendering as it related to i915 chipset family compatibility.

If you are saying that a normal Ubuntu (Gnome-based) installation differs from a KDE installation of the same version, then that is expected. It was only KDE, and I think XFCE that were plagued by this problem. Gnome handled the Intel graphics chipsets fine.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 04:34:51 pm »
The DE is not the issue. Folks should really stop guessing, not understanding the system, especially with Dianemo customers.

That being said :P, I would GUESS that that window is supposed to maximize, and it didn't. I am sure one of the helpful folks at Dianemo will have an answer in short order.
I never quit... I just ping out.

murcel

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 04:41:01 pm »
That being said :P, I would GUESS that that window is supposed to maximize, and it didn't. I am sure one of the helpful folks at Dianemo will have an answer in short order.

Yes i ask them several times, but they are just guessing it has someting to do with resolution :-)
But like always at lmce, rule no. 1, be patient !

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 06:59:30 am »
Someone in this office found a fix, and his email reads like this:

Adding the following to xorg.conf fixed the font display for the LMCE Launcher.

Code: [Select]
        Option "UseEdidDpi" "false"
        Option "DPI" "96 x 96"

This applies to the "nvidia" driver, but might work with others too. I haven't verified it though.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 08:15:03 am »

murcel

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:35:01 am »
Someone in this office found a fix, and his email reads like this:

This applies to the "nvidia" driver, but might work with others too. I haven't verified it though.

Hey Uplink, brilliant, that fixed it.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 01:50:29 am »
So it was the DPI issue... That's what I thought. But I was thinking it was wrong in KDE settings... XFCE has settings to change it in it's configs,... I only recently started using KDE again, after 5-6 yrs. with Gnome...

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:27:42 am »
Hey Uplink, brilliant, that fixed it.

The DPI reported in EDID from your TV is incorrect... we've seen it with a few TV's.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 05:43:47 pm »
It's actually fairly common. It started showing up in early KDE 4 implementations in Kubuntu, and one of the main reasons I dumped KDE for Gnome,... That and the lack of the full KDE 3.5 feature set in KDE 4.0... Now that Gnome has crapped the bed, it's looking as though I'll be coming back home to KDE as my DE for the foreseeable future...

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:30:43 pm »
It's actually fairly common. It started showing up in early KDE 4 implementations in Kubuntu, and one of the main reasons I dumped KDE for Gnome,... That and the lack of the full KDE 3.5 feature set in KDE 4.0... Now that Gnome has crapped the bed, it's looking as though I'll be coming back home to KDE as my DE for the foreseeable future...

What's wrong with Gnome? I'm using it all the time. I'm even getting used to Unity (the 2D flavour) now.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 03:44:08 am »
Uhmmm,...

Rather than me casting stones,... I'll let Linus Torvalds to it...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/05/linus_slams_gnome_three/

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:47:24 am by JaseP »

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 04:03:27 am »
Uhmmm,...

Rather than me casting stones,... I'll let Linus Torvalds to it...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/05/linus_slams_gnome_three/

So I'm not using Gnome 3 then, since I do have icons on my desktop. What's an "activities" menu mode? Is he talking about the "Gnome shell" bit of Gnome 3? Because I'm not using that. I'm using just the GTK 3 stuff, when apps are linked to it, and it seems to be working as well as GTK 2 (that is: not extremely well yet). I'm on either Unity 2D or Gnome Panel, depending on the phase of the moon, not Gnome shell. And my Unity 2D experience is similar to Gnome panel, except for the task bar - which doesn't bother me. Looks like I'm using all the good bits of Gnome 3 and none of the bad bits? Is that it? :) I'm on Unity 2D right now because it moves all the menu bars into the top panel for maximized windows, so except for the top bar, the entire screen is MINE, ALL MINE :D

We're talking about apples and oranges here, aren't we? Just drop the screwy Gnome shell and use something sane if you don't like it. GTK will be there for you whatever you choose to use. Even if you drop compiz/metacity for xfwm4 (like I do when those first two decide to slow down), GTK will STILL be there. I'm pretty sure Unity 2D won't mind the new window manager. If you want KDE, well... unless you use a Qt app, you STILL have GTK tailgating you, even though you're not running Gnome :) GTK is just stupid at rendering - since forever - even before, and during the time when Linus dropped KDE for Gnome.

Am I feeding a troll here? I feel like I'm feeding a troll :)