Author Topic: Failed to setup X - Intel GMA 3650  (Read 7816 times)

Brainless

• View Profile
Failed to setup X - Intel GMA 3650
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:22:08 pm »
Hi,

I tried to install 10.04 (DVD install) an a D2700DC Board with GMA3650 graphic - but stuck at the start of the AVWizard with "Failed to setup X" (when I login to ALT+F1 and startx everything is fine)

Im searching the forum and found some topic´s, one with the description of the back port drivers. I follow the found instructions but never the less without luck.

I want to build my new core with that board, so I could do a headless install - but it would be nicer to have a hybrid install.

So any tips for handling this problem?

Thanks
Axel

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Re: Failed to setup X - Intel GMA 3650
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:14:40 am »
Could be a resolution or driver issue,... Try to contact l3me,... Video detection & setup is his shtick...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:31:24 am »
Hi,

I tried to install 10.04 (DVD install) an a D2700DC Board with GMA3650 graphic - but stuck at the start of the AVWizard with "Failed to setup X" (when I login to ALT+F1 and startx everything is fine)

Im searching the forum and found some topic´s, one with the description of the back port drivers. I follow the found instructions but never the less without luck.

I want to build my new core with that board, so I could do a headless install - but it would be nicer to have a hybrid install.

So any tips for handling this problem?

Thanks
Axel

I am making a lot of changes just now. I think I know what the problem is, I will let you know when there is a build with the changes, and you will update/upgrade... I will give full instructions at that time.
I never quit... I just ping out.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 02:40:05 am »
Ugh,... That chipset is another PowerVR based solution, like the GMA500 & GMA600,... And, by the way,... all PowerVR graphics chipsets are apparently EOL (end of life) on Intel,... .Intel's apparently dropping them from their line-up.

Best trade in that MoBo or re-purpose it as an MS box...

That is,... unless L3ME wants to work on getting PowerVR chipsets like the GMA500 working in LinuxMCE,... It'd make LinuxMCE unique among Linux distros...

PS: We'll be taking up a collection for L3ME's psych meds if he attempts it... The GMA3650 only has experimental Meego drivers in Linux...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:46:29 am by JaseP »
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:02 am »
Axel, just a comment regarding headless install- I've had my first headless core running and I'm super happy with it. As commented elsewhere, why give the core anything more to do than necessary. You just have to get the hang of accessing the core from another machine on the network (via ssh and/or admin website). I'm still working through that but in general, I've found it to be the way to go. Although I can understand wanting to get the graphics working.... I did the same with my sandy bridge chipset before re-installing as headless.

Brainless

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:54:49 am »
Hi,

now I´ve done a headless install and can connect via ssh+http. Now I tried to setup with the first MD but now I get the same Message (failed to setup X). This MD has an Geforce card and it worked before. . .

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Axel

btw: there is no xorg.conf file in the diskless directory (usr/pluto/diskless ...)

. . .  the same happens with the other MD´s . . . seems to be a problem with the core??
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:51:46 pm by Brainless »

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:10:32 pm »
You probably need to wait for l3mce to finish off the changes he's busy with and then update/upgrade certain scripts. The xorg.conf gets created when the configuration scripts run... it will only be there when they run successfully, and there are a lot of changes being made at present, I understand... so the version(s) you have will probably need to be updated and then re-run. In the meantime, it might be worth posting
Code: [Select]
lspci | grep VGA
[code]
run from the MD with the geforce.
[/code]

Brainless

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 02:52:09 pm »
Hi Jamo,

I looked also in the /etc/X11 folder on the core and the xorg.conf is missing

Result of lspci on the MD:
00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a] (rev a2)

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 03:15:33 pm »
I looked also in the /etc/X11 folder on the core and the xorg.conf is missing
That's quite correct if it's headless. The xorg.conf is created when the video card is configured for X which won't happen with a headless core. Will wait for l3 to get back to you regarding when to upgrade your scripts or anything else. If you get a chance, drop by IRC and he can guide you through it... make sure you have ssh access to your machines - preferably connect to IRC from a separate machine so with all the reboots and stuff you can carry on chatting!

Brainless

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 07:03:08 pm »
Hi,

now I'm a step closer to the target ...

The MD come's up and I run through the AVWizard. Everything fine so far. But when the onscreen Orbiter is loaded it only uses the half of the resolution. Looks like the window is not set to full screen!

??? :)

Ok, in the xorg.conf the driver ist set to "fbdev" - when I change it to NVIDIA the "failed to setup X" error is back ....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:35:27 pm by Brainless »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 02:26:49 am »
Hi there. This is interesting. Can you please give me ALL of the output of lspci -nn | grep 'VGA' 
I wonder if you have another onboard GPU showing and the stuff I have written to address the optimus hw is kicking up and working backwards.

I will give you more to do once you give me the output of that. Please don't change anything so we can see if I can fix whatever the problem is in the future without anyone having to do anything.

Thanks.

Brainless

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 10:29:46 am »
Hi l3mce,

lspci of the MD is:

root@moon35:~# lspci -nn | grep 'VGA'
00:12.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a] [10de:053b] (rev a2)
after running through the wizard the "Device section" of xorg.con on the core (usr/pluto/diskless/35/etc/X11) looks like this:

Identifier      "Card0"
        VendorName      "Unknown Vendor Name"
        BoardName       "Unknown Board Name"
        Option          "LinearAlloc"           "16384"
        Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "true"
        Option "renderAccel" "true"
        Option "NoDDCValue"
        Option "UseEDID" "true"
        Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
        Option "NoBandWidthTest" "true"
        Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, AllowInterlac$
        Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
        Option "UseEvents" "true"
        Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
        Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
        Driver  "fbdev"
        Option  "NoLogo"        "True"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
        ### [arg]: arg optional

The core is now a headless one with the installer from the DVD - and seems to be working fine.
dcerouter_1029014:~# lspci -nn | grep 'VGA'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:0be2] (rev 09)

Thanks
Axel
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:31:22 am by Brainless »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »
That makes no sense. Nothing else returned from that lspci on the moon? You didn't just give me the output you felt was relevant?

On the MD
Please give me the last few lines of:
cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.confThen:
apt-cache policy nvidia-glx-260 | grep 'Installed'
. /usr/pluto/bin/Utils.sh; CheckVideoDriver

Note the period and the space after it. Watch for a yellow line which says what driver it finds for which card. Assuming you are ssh'ed you should be able to copy it.

This would go a lot faster if you dropped into IRC...

Brainless

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 08:25:00 pm »
Hi L3mce,

you're right would be faster in IRC!  ;D And yes that was all what was returned on the command line.

But now I've deleted every MD - after that I do a apt-get update & upgrade and then rerun the DisklessCreateTBZ.

Till now everything looks extrem fine. The MD come up with the right resolution (fullscreen) ....

;D  ;D