Author Topic: HomeOS - Microsoft reinvents LinuxMCE  (Read 15716 times)

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: HomeOS - Microsoft reinvents LinuxMCE
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 09:08:02 pm »
kyfalcon,

do you need any more pointers to start?

Kyfalcon,

Me thinks you've been "volun-told"...  ;)

/Mike

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17:45 pm »
The point here is: There is no excuse. Anybody can go ahead, make a copy of the current scenario screens of the Basic UI from the web orbiter for example, get a skin from a different project, and use GIMP/Photoshop/Paint/Whatever to redraw the LinuxMCE screen using the style of the other skin. The ONLY thing that is needed is *time*.

Everybody has 24hours most of the days (two days may be excepted from this rule), so get your priorities straight, and instead of bitching about and making clever suggestion, go and start doing it. Start for example with the regular DVD remote control and make it nice using a different skin as a design idea.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 09:42:50 pm »
To put a fine point on it...

People often ask how they can contribute, and skins are where non-code happy folks often end up... HADesigner was no joke for your average designer though... so a lot of folks became disheartened over the years.

This is very different. This is "So easy a mac user could do it."™  :P
It just takes time.

How cool would it be knowing not only that everybody was using your skin, but that you personally helped LMCE overcome its longest held detraction of "ugly UI"? I have always been very utilitarian in my UI needs... but the traffic that XBMC draws (and with traffic comes developers) just because it's pretty... Help! Do! No more stalling! No more promises!

DO!
I never quit... I just ping out.

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 10:05:49 pm »
Posde don't get me wrong, I am in no way upset at your suggestion. You are correct about time being the only thing needed. I will try and get something together when I have time. My first priority is my family. Then second is to get the MD working in my kids room, which I am having the HDMI sound issues on. Once that's done I will take a look at putting something together. I'll try and research some different HTPC skins that are out there and come up with something. The sad thing is I used to work at 2 companies where I had access to some very talented Graphic Designers that really could have put something snazzy together, Me I am a developer which automatically makes me graphically challenged.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 11:57:24 pm »
Somehow this thread seems to have gone 'off topic' in a big way... the topic it drifted into is an important one of course... but it would be better moved elsewhere ;-)

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 12:23:56 am »
Keeping in mind HomeOS is only a research project at this point... they have not decided to go forward with productization. I for one, hope they do move forward.
I never quit... I just ping out.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 03:39:23 am »
Keeping in mind HomeOS is only a research project at this point... they have not decided to go forward with productization. I for one, hope they do move forward.

That said, I have heard devs refer to THIS project as a "research platform".  There's a fine line I suppose...