Author Topic: How to - Aeon Laps Energy Meter (Clamps) with Datalogger Plugin  (Read 3487 times)

Brainless

• View Profile
Hi,

is there somewhere a "how to" to get the Aeon Laps Energy Meter working. I´ve searched the forum and find some topics but could not get really into it.

The Energy meter is registered as a Z-Wave climate sensor and I´ve installed the Datalogger Plugin so far . . . but what have I to do now?

Thanks for your help! ;-)

Axel
-----------------
LinuxMCE 10.04
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:09:59 pm by Brainless »

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Re: How to - Aeon Laps Energy Meter (Clamps) with Datalogger Plugin
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:24:16 pm »
I don't believe that there are any how-tos  for that device. I'm not even that sure that anyone has tried creating scenarios around the device either. That means that you might have a lot of work cut out for you, fleshing out a device template, if none exists, creating scenarios (probably advanced scenarios) for it, etc.

How familiar are you with how z-wave devices work (parameters) and talk to each other (how scenarios care triggered, by different classes of devices)?? And how familiar are you with how LinuxMCE handles scenarios?? I would check out the wiki on these and related topics.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

Brainless

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:53:58 pm »
Hi Jase,

I'm not very familiar with LinuxMCE. Tried to get LinuxMCE working with Version 7.10 but without successs  :-[!
Now I've installed 10.04 and nearly everthing works fine. So I will give LMCE a second chance  ;D.

In the Wiki I've found this: "Aeon_Labs_Energy_Meter" (not allowed to post links)?
So ist seems to me that LMCE support this Power Clamp.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:40:08 pm »
Here's the thing with LinuxMCE's Z-wave support... Devices only get supported when somebody gets one and creates a device profile, and or asks for assistance with that. That means users creating the device profiles. I honestly don't think there are a lot of people using LinuxMCE for energy management.

If you want to do this the "Easy Way"©®™ ... and I might get stoned for suggesting this,... and do what I did, which is getting a Micasaverde Vera, and using LinuxMCE as a secondary Z-wave controller. MCV Vera's thing is being "green," after all, and setting up scenes (what they call scenarios) is relatively simple on a Vera.

What you can do is get a Vera Lite, and an Aeon Labs USB stick. And then you simple follow the setup (Sarah) for activating a Z-wave controller. It means deleting your Z-wave system and rebuilding it on the Vera first,... But, It might ultimately cost you less in terms of headaches and stress. Vera definitely has support for the energy monitors and other stuff.

I've never had an issue using LinuxMCE as a secondary Z-wave controller to the Vera's primary. In fact it was the easiest thing to set up in LinuxMCE for me yet. All my work on the Vera just copied over...

Now, LinuxMCE is fully capable of doing what you want without doing it my (cheating) way,... and you'll learn a lot more going the straight LinuxMCE route,... But, my way you can save your aggravation and effort for Video or something else.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

Brainless

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 11:41:11 pm »
Ok,
now I've added "Power Usage Changed Edit #85" to the multilevel sensor Template and wenn I look at the Datalogger Plugin I can see the Power consumption but the scale is Kilo Watts and Not Watts!

idea?

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:46:06 pm »
So there's a template?!?!  That's good! That's more than I suspected. Hmmm,... You might not need to do it my way...

Oh,... about the kilowatts vs. watts,... yeah, divide by 1000,... or multiply by 1000, depending on which way you're going...  ::)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:50:25 pm by JaseP »