Author Topic: Any way to change or add additional keyboard commands???  (Read 5757 times)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Any way to change or add additional keyboard commands???
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:11:50 am »
Is there any way to change the default or add additional/alternate keyboard commands on an MD??

I have a handful of these ipazzport trackpad/keyboards (see attachment), and they have no function keys...

I have some rii Wireless Keyboard/Trackpads with built in IR remote coming (3 of them), but it would be nice to keep or get the other ones working.

See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to change or add additional keyboard commands???
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:18:09 am »
You will need to use xev to figure out what the keys produce and create a template which maps those keys.

See the wiki on creating a remote.
I never quit... I just ping out.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:28:12 am »
These are actually full (well, almost full) keyboards with a wireless USB dongle which broadcasts/receives at 2.4GHz. So, it's basically mocking a regular USB keyboard and mouse. The key codes it's sending are the same you would get from any USB keyboard. They just don't have all of the keys you do on a regular keyboard. And, certain keys require a modifier key to be pressed (number keys and non-letters mostly). But, that is transparent to the underlying computer.

Does LinuxMCE identify and handle inputs from specific devices separately/differently than inputs from other devices in the same class? In other words, can I create a key map that treats the key presses of this particular keyboard/mouse combination different from any other keyboard/mouse combination? I do know that these keyboards identify themselves specifically by name in their USB IDs. However, there are multiple models of these devices, some of which are not like these and include function keys that are available by hitting a modifier key. I don't know how specifically they ID themselves (i.e.: model number, etc).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:06:45 pm by JaseP »
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:00:35 pm »
I've abandoned my efforts to get the ipazzports to work, in favor of the latest arrivals, 3 rii 6i mini keyboards with IR remote,...

They are absolutely the singularly BEST HTPC keyboards in existence, and reasonably priced... (see pic below). Compact, easy to use, functionality galore (you can simulate a mouse scroll wheel by hitting the function key and scrolling your finger up and down on the touch pad, ... unbelievably awesome for scrolling through channels in live TV mode).

Enough of my unpaid sponsorship, though,... I would still like to explore how the keyboard shortcuts are assigned in LinuxMCE. Remapping them may become a feature we might want to explore, and one I would like to pursue in my (fleeting) spare time. How are the keyboard shortcuts defined??
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:03:11 pm by JaseP »

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 05:36:12 pm »
IIRC in Designer you assign the Keybord shortcuts for each object.

Thom pls correct me if Im wrong.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 11:27:47 pm »
I've abandoned my efforts to get the ipazzports to work, in favor of the latest arrivals, 3 rii 6i mini keyboards with IR remote,...

They are absolutely the singularly BEST HTPC keyboards in existence, and reasonably priced... (see pic below). Compact, easy to use, functionality galore (you can simulate a mouse scroll wheel by hitting the function key and scrolling your finger up and down on the touch pad, ... unbelievably awesome for scrolling through channels in live TV mode).

Enough of my unpaid sponsorship, though,... I would still like to explore how the keyboard shortcuts are assigned in LinuxMCE. Remapping them may become a feature we might want to explore, and one I would like to pursue in my (fleeting) spare time. How are the keyboard shortcuts defined??

Ok look at a template.
http://192.168.80.1/lmce-admin/index.php?section=editMasterDevice&model=2165
This is one I need to fix come to think of it.

Depending on how the thingamadoodle works, take a look at these.
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4901.msg28630#msg28630
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Creating_a_Device_Template_for_a_Remote_that_uses_the_kernel_input_subsystem
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Add_support_for_new_remote_controls
I never quit... I just ping out.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:44:57 pm »
Thanks,... I'll take a crack at it...

valent

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • /kernel_reloaded/
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 09:19:26 am »
Thanks,... I'll take a crack at it...

Any updates?
LinuxMCE - If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!!
My setup - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Valent