Author Topic: Question: Adding 1360x768 resolution to video setup or other way?  (Read 6527 times)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
I finally got to the point where I am setting up my MDs. My living room MD took a little bit of manual reconfiguration. The (1080i/p) TV, through it's VGA port wasn't picked up in the video/audio setup, so I had to manually edit the entry in the web admin, the xorg.conf, and tell the web admin to order a rebuild of the MD. Then it re-ran the setup on reboot, picking up the resolution. Same for SPDIF optical sound output. Now working fine (actually stutters habit on 1080i live TV, but that'll be the subject of another thread).

The MD in our master bedroom has TV out out to that TV through VGA as well. But that TV's native resolution is 1360x768, and doesn't seem to work through the video/audio setup. I tried 720p, which is the closest thing to that 1360x768 native resolution, but no dice. Through the KDE desktop, I CAN get the native resolution working.

Is there any way to add an 1360x768 option to the video resolution setup options, and how?? Or, alternatively, how do I manually change the resolution without messing up LinuxMCE's features like Orbiter generation, making the system change them automatically, messing them up, at the video/audio setup stage, etc??

PS: This is a 10.04 net script install. I spent a lot of time manually fixing channels up, so I'd just as soon stick with it, and not try a DVD install.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:04:13 pm by JaseP »
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Adding 1360x768 resolution to video setup or other way?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 07:17:10 pm »
Never mind,...

I found my own answer to this here:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Custom_Display_Resolutions#Adding_new_resolutions_to_the_A.2FV_Wizard

But, I might still ask for help if I get stuck.

OK, I do have a question,...

Since 1360x768 is included, but flagged not visible,... Do I have to enable EDID, or can I just render its visibility flag to the visible setting?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:34:40 pm by JaseP »
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:54:23 pm »
Enable the visibility flag in the config file. Has nothing to do with EDID.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:29:03 pm »
Got it working,...

I don't know what parts of the following did it, ultimately,... but:
  • I edited the Web Admin.
  • I edited the Resolutions.conf & the AVWizard-Common.sh files. (I ended up turning on EDID, as it seamed like my monitor timings on the VGA for the TV were ... just... off... )
  • I deleted the current xorg.conf
  • I re-ran the AV Wizard.

Seeing as resolutions of 1366x768, 1360x768, 1440x900, etc. are getting more common on smaller (under 42 inches) LCD TVs with VGA inputs, do you think it would be a good idea for future snapshots of LinuxMCE to have them marked as visible in the Resolutions.conf??
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:36:04 pm by JaseP »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:18:56 pm »
No idea. I personally don't think that people will utilize a lot of none 1080p displays.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 01:55:02 am »
I don't know,... but I've noticed that the less expensive and smaller TVs with VGA ports are usually 720p vs. 1080p. Pretty much anything at 36 inches or less, and under $500 retail, isn't likely going to have a (TRUE) 1080p mode, even if it has a VGA port. Some of them have a 1080p mode that is just a scaled 720p, but it's not natural resolution. But then you end up with a fuzzy picture, scaling effects, and margins that don't quite match the edge of the screen.

I agree that for most people's main TV (and maybe one other) they'll have one that's 1080p capable on its VGA port,... but for additional TVs (kitchen, kids' bedrooms, rec room, man-cave, etc.) people tend to opt for something in the 26 - 36 inch range. My plan, for instance, is to have 6 MDs (have 3 so far). When done,...only two of the TVs are likely going to be 1080p capable. I have 3 TVs now that are 36" or under and only have 1360x768 or so natural resolution,... not including the cheap, $86, 14" TV that I use for the monitor on my Core (I think that one's even less than 1360x768). Two of them don't even have VGA ports,... only HDMI and composite (besides coax).

I think as a lot of people upgrade components, they'll tend to shift their older MDs out to the kids and the other areas of the house where it would be nice to have LinuxMCE functionality. But that doesn't necessarily mean dropping $700 - $800 (or even $400 to $500) on a big and capable TV for those areas, when a $250, 30 inch one is a better physical fit and can do the job fine.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:23:56 pm by JaseP »

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:35:07 pm »
I agree. I'm not a resolution wiz but I the little reading and planning I've done suggests to me that there's a screen size above which you will see the benefits of 1080p (not sure exactly what and it depends whether you're reading an e-book or watching a movie too). The point that JaseP makes, though, certainly aligns with my planned use case- smallish MD screens for some locations... and the smaller size really won't benefit from the large format IMHO.

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:14:15 pm »
The other issue is that you can get different resolution support over different inputs.  VGA inputs will sometimes only support "computer" resolutions, and not true 720p or 1080p, whereas DVI/HDMI will support more.  It all depends on the firmware for the TV's, and the quality of the ASIC's and display engines built into the TV's.  Usually, the less expensive TV's (which are usually the smaller models too) will not have the same capabilities as a more expensive (name-brand) TV.

Just my experience from shopping around...

/Mike

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 10:37:37 pm »
Submit patches and I will throw a little testing time at them, but I am focused on stabilizing what the DVD does now, not throwing more into expansion atm. I am so sick of this section of code I throw it up in my ever rarer dreams. I will not use the hidden interlaced modes, they look like poop.

I am focused on some sort of happy medium between the newer GPU chipsets requirements of a new ALSA version/nVidia driver, and squashing the remaining bugs in the snapshots, so I can move to qOrbiter full time.

So if you want it, make it and submit it. If it causes unforseen problems don't be upset if it is removed. Keep in mind, we have to generate modlines for these resolutions. Depending on the GPU, that could have some unforseen consequences.
I never quit... I just ping out.