Author Topic: HDTV in LinuxPCE  (Read 5978 times)

ChiefQualakon

• View Profile
    • 4FreeFile Productions
HDTV in LinuxPCE
« on: March 25, 2007, 01:16:00 am »
Would LinuxPCE be able to encode, decode and output high definition signals similar to MythTV with a few hacks and modifications?  It'd be cool to be able to output in 1080p to a HDTV.  I found a couple websites that show how to do it with MythTV but I'm unsure if I should try it for LinuxPCE.  Any thoughts or information would be great.  Thanks in advance.

ouie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: HDTV in LinuxPCE
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:39:51 am »
I guess this depends on what version of mythtv linuxmce is utilizing. I know the PCHDTV cards where working as early as 2004 with myth. Finding the modlines while not frying your hdtv would be the biggest concern I guess. But that is already a concern with mythtv. So it seems on the surface that any concern would be the same as the concerns in myth because it is myth + Asterisk+zoneminder..etc

ChiefQualakon

• View Profile
    • 4FreeFile Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 01:44:55 am »
Could we then, just upgrade mythtv to the latest version and grab the drivers and encoder card and install it all?

Hmm I guess we won't know this until we get a working version on LinuxMCE up and going...  But theoretically it should work.  Even if we have to do it by source, it SHOULD work...

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 04:51:37 am »
I use the default media player (Xine) player all the time with 1080i content.  It's fine, except the open source de-interlacers aren't as good as the windows counterparts.  I haven't tried 1080p.

You can change in the database which media player to use for which type of content.  There's also a wrapper for VLC, and I'd like to add one for Gstreamer and others.  Adding a LinuxMCE wrapper for existing software is pretty easy; it's just a matter of linking the DCE library to get socket control.  But at the moment, only the xine wrapper is tested.