Author Topic: Update: Update2 diagnose why Hauppauge HDPVR will not install in 8.10  (Read 6781 times)

sedgington

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi,
Update2: From looking at the templates for the hdpvr device in lmce and the some instructions for compiling the driver from the mythTV wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR) , it seems like I may have been hit by the need to update the driver to 4903 instead of 4902 or 4901--which are currently listed in the template. Compounding that, the changes in the sources.list for the downloads of the ivtv-utils may be affecting some of the scripts that are supposed to load ivtv-utils at boot. (if it can't download it, it can't load it.)

Has anybody some insight into if this might be the case and how to fix one or both? It seems like the first step to testing this would be to recompile the hdpvr driver  with/for dkms. Having never done this, it would be great to get a confirmation that this is (could be) the problem.

first update here:

Update: after searching around on the web, it appears that the reason I'm not getting a /dev/videox when the hdpvr driver is loading is because the driver is loading improperly or is outdated.

I went through the drivers that interacted with hdpvr one by one and found that the cx88-dvb.ko driver, even though it showed that it was present in the dkms directory (/lib/modules/2.6.27-17-generic/updates/dkms/) where all the other drivers were loading from, would not load:

root@dcerouter:/lib/modules/2.6.27-17-generic/updates/dkms# modprobe cx88-dvb
FATAL: Error inserting cx88_dvb (/lib/modules/2.6.27-17-generic/updates/dkms/cx88-dvb.ko): No such device

So my question is, not being familiar with how dkms works in LinuxMCE, can I move this directory so that the other drivers I have compiled with the kernel (see below) will work as is suggested by mythtv wiki:

"In Ubuntu, the module may fail to load and refer you to the dmesg command. If this happens, reboot and see if the error resolves itself. It is also possible that Ubuntu is prioritizing another, older copy of the v4l-dvb modules above the one you just installed, and the hdpvr will fail because the two versions do not match. Try a command like:

locate cx88-dvb.ko |grep `uname -r`

This will search for the cx88-dvb kernel module, which is provided in the Hg tree you just built, and also in default Ubuntu installs. If you see more than one copy of this file, you may need to move the older versions out of the way. In at least one case, alternate versions of all the modules were located in "/opt/ltsp/amd64/lib/modules/kernel version number/ubuntu/". The symbol mismatch was solved by moving the "/opt/ltsp/amd64/lib/modules/kernel version number/ubuntu/media" directory into a backup directory in the user's home, then rebooting. " from http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR

Or, will that kill LinuxMCE? Alternatively, is there a way to replace the driver that does not load? Just copying it in give me a whole series of mismatches in dmesg.

Any help greatly appreciated. This is killing me that the driver loads with very little trace of why it will not create the /dev/videox link I need to get this thing working. It seems so close...

Original post begins here:

Emboldened by this link that says it works:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Hauppauge_HD_PVR

I manually created a device from the template and followed the instruction in the wiki for enabling S/PDIF

I then went to the MythTV wiki page which was a link in the Wiki:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR

From there, I updated the firmware to 1.5.7 as suggested and for good measure, installed and tested it on Win XP. Everything worked fine. BTW, my unit is rev. F1

I then went to the section on HD-PVR Driver Compilation Howto and looked through the directions. Since I had previously had problems compiling and installing an updated network driver I thought I would just see if an existing driver could be located.

running
modprobe hdpvr
it installed with no problems that I could detect so I did a

modinfo hdpvr

and got back that it was in the dkms folder under updates

filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.27-17-generic/updates/dkms/hdpvr.ko
description:    Hauppauge HD PVR driver
author:         Janne Grunau
license:        GPL
srcversion:     FA2DE51489C7F30C23989B9
alias:          usb:v2040p4982d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v2040p4902d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v2040p4901d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v2040p4900d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
depends:        usbcore,videodev,v4l2-common
vermagic:       2.6.27-17-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 586
parm:           video_nr:video device number (-1=Auto) (array of int)
parm:           hdpvr_debug:enable debugging output (int)
parm:           default_video_input:default video input: 0=Component / 1=S-Video / 2=Composite (uint)
parm:           default_audio_input:default audio input: 0=RCA back / 1=RCA front / 2=S/PDIF (uint)
parm:           boost_audio:boost the audio signal (bool)

when I went to dmesg I got:

14519.552800] usb 5-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
[14519.716586] usb 5-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

and

[11655.462505] usbcore: registered new interface driver hdpvr

lsusb

Bus 005 Device 006: ID 2040:4903 Hauppauge

all seemed like this was going to be the easiest install ever until I ran

ls -l /dev/video*

ls: cannot access /dev/video*: No such file or directory

Which indicated to me that even though modprobe loaded hdpvr and it was registered, the driver was not loading properly

Thinking something was either missing or being duplicated I did:

locate cx88-dvb.ko |grep `uname -r`

/lib/modules/2.6.27-17-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko

suggesting there was only one copy installed

So, I thought that the kernel did need to be updated after all and followed the directions on the mythtv wiki:

sudo apt-get install build-essential mercurial linux-headers-`uname -r`

hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb

cd v4l-dvb
make
sudo make install

sudo modprobe hdpvr

hdpvr loaded, but when I did modinfo I found it was the same hdpvr that was loaded initially.

So...going back to first principles, I went to the LinuxMCE template for the HDPVR and found that the file Name and path script had apparently not run

sh /usr/pluto/bin/CaptureCards_SelectInput_HDPVR.sh

gave me the error that /usr/pluto/bin/CaptureCards_SelectInput_HDPVR.sh: line 18: v4l2-ctl: command not found

running v4l2-ctl gave me

The program 'v4l2-ctl' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
apt-get install ivtv-utils
bash: v4l2-ctl: command not found

But wait, didn't LinuxMCE tell me it was starting ivtv-utils during the messages at start up?

Sure enough modprobe ivtv loaded

Thinking I needed to install a newer version I did the

apt-get install ivtv-utils

I got these error messages, apparently because I had changed the sources.list to old-releases where ever there was an "archives" or "security" in the URL as per  this post:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=10901.0

But I have no idea where to get ivtv-utils or even if this is the problem at this point so I did not pursue it.

So now I am in a loop where I get no /dev/video loading apparently because v4l2-ctl is not installed, even though ivtv-utils is installed, but is not upgradeable.

Anyone who has installed hdpvr or knows how the ivtv-utils is supposed to work in loading the /dev/video or anything else I've missed willing to give me some ideas how to get this to work?

Many thanks in advance. Hopefully, once I get this sorted, I can put these instructions in the wiki for others to follow.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:10:11 pm by sedgington »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Update: Update2 diagnose why Hauppauge HDPVR will not install in 8.10
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 06:27:59 pm »
hmm.

we had dealt with this over 8 months ago, to add HD PVR as plug and play with LinuxMCE, along with the needed driver packages.

Is the system even detecting it in the Orbiter? You guys are making this _WAY_ more difficult than you ever should.

-Thom

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 03:45:12 am »
Just my 2 cents...    I have had no problems with the HDPVR (other than it doesnt autodetect so I had to add it to the Media Director on the admin page).

Ive moved it around a couple times because at one point MythTV stopped working... shortly after I added a gyration (DELL) remote.   I could get MythTV to work if I removed the USB receiver from my MD.   I intend to investigate further but the holidays make time very limited.

Dennis

sedgington

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 06:21:37 pm »
The solution to this is that my new HDPVR had a different id than what is detected by the plug-and-play scripts. Because this ID is different, LMCE refuses to install or use the device even if you try to install it manually--at least for me. I came up with a work around that I can write up if anyone needs it. I had assumed that this would be fixed in a future release (it is a matter of accepting the last digit of the ID as different from those specified in the script) and since no one else seems to have encountered this problem I hesitated to throw it into the mix.

Once installed, HDPVR works great and I can highly recommend it. Excellent HD playback with all commercials removed if you elect to post process.

However, there still seems to be a bug in playing back the h264 files that mythtv generates when you record a program if you try and use the LMCE player--mplayer I am assuming--to play it back. On my system, with VDPAU enabled, you get video but no sound. Plays back fine in mythtv as they have their own player.

Also plays back fine in XBMC if you use LMCE as a UPnP server. Given the problems in playing back these files as well as .m2ts files with LMCE I've been wondering if one could install XBMC as an application on the core and create an XBMC plugin--like the hulu plugin--that would play all your recorded media until these file playback issues get sorted in LMCE.

If anyone has a solution to the sound problem in LMCE playback of mythtv recorded files--please let me/us know. It would be greatly appreciated. I've tried all the hints I could find but I am still learning...

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 06:25:57 pm »
Yeah, the Xine Player can't currently play the transport streams created by the HD-PVR.

At some point, I or someone else will have to sit down, and write a replacement for the aging Xine player.

Any takers?

-Thom

qvindesland

• View Profile
Hi sedgington

I also have a Hauppauge HD PVR that I want to use with lmce would you mind write a little information on what you did to get it configured?

Regards
Per