Author Topic: Need Help with Media Database  (Read 7464 times)

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Need Help with Media Database
« on: April 26, 2012, 04:47:25 pm »
Hi all, So I had an issue where all of my music showed up twice in the pluto_media database because of the RAID array being mounted twice. In any event, i fixed the raid problem by removing the RAID array from the Web Admin page. I then followed these instructions: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,6408.msg70571.html#msg70571

Everything appeared to work correctly, however, as I watched the UpdateMediaDaemon, it would find music for example, it would show up on my orbiters, but when I went back the next day, there was nothing in the orbiters, and the web admin page for Media Sync showed that none of the directories were in the database.

Any help on how to trouble shoot this?

DoTheDog

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Need Help with Media Database
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:02:23 pm »
Rule #1 is important here. If you want to assist UpdateMedia leave a shell open in a dir on the RAID.

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:17:11 pm »
posde,
Thanks for the reply. So just to confirm. Just open a term and cd /home/public/data? I'm not sure how this helps? Also, any thoughts on why "Synchronized" files would disappear?

Just to clarify, my raid array is mounted to /home, it had been showing up as a link in /home/public/other/Software RAID [100] but I removed it through web admin by deleting the item in devices under Core.

DoTheDog

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 04:13:03 am »
Posde,
Indeed Rule #1. So I got back from work today, rebooted the system and it looks like it has sync'd through the C's in my music directory. But it is playing in Orbiters now. So I guess I just need to be Patient :)

DoTheDog

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 06:02:26 pm »
iirc it took UpdateMedia a week or more to work through a 25k mp3 collection...

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 02:18:06 am »
I understand that it takes a while to get all of them, but I guess what was confusing me was songs would show up in both the orbiters and the web admin, then a couple of hours later would disappear again. Letting it run over night and it stuck. Any idea why it would display that behavior?

DoTheDog

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 10:02:58 am »
Because the Automounter unmounted the drive as not being needed anymore. That made UpdateMedia declare the files as unavailable. Unavailable files don't show up on the Orbiter. Changing into the directory itself, ie the one with the name of hdd in it, will stop automounter from unmounting the drive.

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 10:49:18 pm »
Posde,
Thanks for the help on this. So now I have just added two albums to my raid array that is mounted on /home. For whatever reason, if I go in through the web admin and resynchronize the directory it will show up in the orbiters, but after a while, it disappears again. Also, when I go back into the web admin media file sync menu, ALL of my directories are showing up as "Exists Only on disk". Even though they are showing up in the orbiters. I have gone to my Core and on CTL-ALT-F2 I have logged in and cd /home/public/data/audio. Is that what you mean by changing to the raid dir? Or do I have to do it in a Term?

DoTheDog

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:56:41 am »
Just make sure their is something occupying the directory of the hdd device. i.e. not public/data/audio, but public/data/audio/[name of hdd-deviceid]

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 05:54:01 am »
Posde,
Thanks for the reply but I think I'm not understanding. On my core, I have 3 TB RAID 5 array /dev/md0 that is mounted on /home. So using the normal LinuxMCE structure, it looks like /home/public/data/audio/Artist/Album/. On every reboot, it does try to create a /home/public/data/other/Software RAID [xxx] which is linked to /dev/md0. The problem with that is, the Update Media Daemon now finds two of every file and every song shows up twice on the orbiters. So to fix that I went into the web admin, Advanced->Configuration->Devices and deleted the Software RAID from the Core/Hybrid.

So the issue is the behavior is a little odd. If I go into the web admin Media Files Sync. All the directories are in /home/public/data/audio are shown as "Only Exists on Disk". The directories and files below that are fine. However, the new files that I put in, two new albums, the files show that LinuxMCE doesn't know what to do with them and I get a "Select File Type". If I select LinuxMCE Audio File it goes in and shows a checkmark in web admin. But it doesn't show up in the Orbiters. If I go back to  web admin, the check marks are all gone again. This is really odd. Any way we can trouble shoot this?

DoTheDog

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 06:30:22 am »
I am sorry. You have decided to manually setup the mounting.

I have no knowledge how to work with thta.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 06:49:45 am »
Yeah, you have officially fucked up. Especially since LinuxMCE can handle mdraid stuff natively from the web admin.

-Thom

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 08:57:33 am »
Both tschak and posde are correct, when you decide to do things on your own (mount a RAID on /home) you are doing things the system does not expect. When I first started using LMCE I also had my share of problems because I decided to get smart. Now I have learnt to do it the LMCE way instead. Much easier  :D

When that is said, you could try to disable the RAID device in the web admin. Not sure if it helps, but its worth a shot.

br,
sambuca

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 11:16:26 pm »
Ok, so I have been doing it this way since the pluto days, guess I missed the part about the software raid stuff. So I guess the question is, How can this be fixed? If I remove the mount to /home (copy over all the relevant . directories to the new /home) clear the database as per these instructions http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,6408.msg84357.html#msg84357, and let linuxmce find the files, do you think that will work or am I looking at a full reinstall?

Thoughts?
DoTheDog