Author Topic: Marantz SR over RS232  (Read 18550 times)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: Marantz SR over RS232
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 07:09:01 pm »
Hello fellow Marantz SR users,
I've got an SR7500 that I've been tinkering with.  I was wondering if the "SR Series RS232" device template that shipped with 0710RC1 is up-to-date.  Here's what I have found about that template:
  • Some of the code in the Ruby rectangles is conspicuously less sophisticated than what is described in this thread.  For example, volume control just the straightforward <$"@VOL:2\r"$> style. 
  • the template doesn't have any av inputs.
  • something in that template causes video and music to stop playing immediately after it starts (you hear audio for about 1/4 second)

the code was updated in later releases. But I can confirm that video/music stop playing problem. Dunno where it comes from..

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 12:50:15 am »
Hari - pls pls pls can you comment on when the pnp script for this template will be available? I just don't seem to have any luck setting up the template manually - can't even get it to communicate, can't get the pipes working properly, etc. Although after tinkering for a while once, I started noticing that the SR6001 was periodically turning itself off when I wasn't around, so I assume something was getting through, but it certainly wasn't "controlling" it. Will the pnp script be pushed out in an update? Does it already exist somewhere i can download and execute manually?

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 03:16:06 am »
Hari - Thanks for confirming the video/music stop playing problem.  I'll try to track it down or roll my own SR series template. 

colinjones - once I get my SR7500 working completely, I'll post my steps in my sample setup wiki page here:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Alx9r%27s_Sample_Setup

Hopefully that will help you along if you don't find a solution before then.

Cheers,

Alex

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 05:46:28 am »
Thanks heaps alx9r! Just out of interest, I have a:

ATEN International Co., Ltd UC-232A Serial Port [pl2303]

USB to serial converter to connect to the Marantz and can see it using lsusb, do you use something similar? Did you need a null modem converter? It doesn't seem likely I need one if there was even 2 instances were something switched off the amp within 24 hours of me setting up the template when it has never done that before in the 6 months I have owned it - so I assume it is able to communicate, just the template isn't working in the way I have set it up... but worth asking just in case!

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 04:35:38 pm »
Hi colinjones,
I use breakout cables from my motherboard, so I don't have that layer of complication.  I had the backpanel space and I found them to be cheaper.

To control my SR7500 you need a DB9 female to DB9 female straight through (i.e. NOT Nullmodem) cable.  This is an uncommon cable.  The easiest way I was able to accomplish it was to use a DB9 female to DB9 male extension cable (which is straight through) and a DB9 female to DB9 female gender mender.

I also recommend testing the serial connection separately by connecting to the receiver using a terminal program and typing commands manually, like I did here for my Aquos TV:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Alx9r%27s_Aquos_TV_Setup#Setting_TV_to_Respond_to_Power_On_Commands

You should be able to turn the receiver off and on over the serial cable by typing in the terminal window.

You'll need to use the commands for your receiver instead of course which you can find on Marantz's product page for your receiver.

HTH,

Alex

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 07:36:48 pm »
Hello fellow Marantz SR users,
I've got an SR7500 that I've been tinkering with.  I was wondering if the "SR Series RS232" device template that shipped with 0710RC1 is up-to-date.  Here's what I have found about that template:
  • Some of the code in the Ruby rectangles is conspicuously less sophisticated than what is described in this thread.  For example, volume control just the straightforward <$"@VOL:2\r"$> style. 
  • the template doesn't have any av inputs.
  • something in that template causes video and music to stop playing immediately after it starts (you hear audio for about 1/4 second)

I have started to build my own SR Series template and have a simple implementation working so that the receiver turns on and off and the volume and inputs can be controlled.  I suspect, however, that someone out there has a better template for the SR series.  If so, can you share it with me somehow?

Cheers,

Alex

Hi,

here's something I'm working on, but beware it's for multiroom feature enabled (basically you split amplifier in two zones by this template/code):
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Bulek

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

alx9r

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 08:55:36 pm »
Hi,

here's something I'm working on, but beware it's for multiroom feature enabled (basically you split amplifier in two zones by this template/code):

Regards,

Bulek.

Thanks for posting that Bulek.  Looks like it will be pretty useful to me.  How well is it working?

As a side question: Do you edit the code in those ruby rectangles on the various admin pages, or is there consolidated place where changes can be made to those commands?  I was thinking there might be a way to load code for all of the commands from a text file somehow.

Regards,

Alex

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 08:21:34 am »
Hi,

Regards,

Bulek.

Thanks for posting that Bulek.  Looks like it will be pretty useful to me.  How well is it working?

As a side question: Do you edit the code in those ruby rectangles on the various admin pages, or is there consolidated place where changes can be made to those commands?  I was thinking there might be a way to load code for all of the commands from a text file somehow.

Regards,

Alex

Hi,

I have yet to try it.... I'm editing codes in rectangles (don't know for any other, better way)....

Will let you know - will also update Wiki page after that...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 02:23:39 am »
Did anyone get this Marantz interface working?  I'm considering purchasing a Marantz receiver and was hoping that it was now supported...

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 09:30:24 pm »
it works fine when you remove the part from the GSD that emits events.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

dh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 01:24:45 am »
it works fine when you remove the part from the GSD that emits events.

I don't understand that response.  I guess I'll look into it and see if I can get it working.

D

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 08:56:42 am »
Hi,

I have it working under Dianemo with whisperer Perl script. But I guess this is not of much help for you....
Selecting all those inputs in template is too much work, Dianemo has a bit easier system, but you have to know more to use it...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.