Author Topic: 1004: The time has come.  (Read 124409 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 1004: The time has come.
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2012, 10:10:39 pm »

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 16, 2012, 08:41:17 pm »
Amazing job.  I had to pull friends into my room while I installed to check out how clean LMCE has gotten.  The new splash screens were a nice touch.   I only have a couple small quirks which could very well be my hardware and settings but will mention them and post a ticket for the drive issue.

Clonezilla is unable to backup sda (sda1, sda5, sda6) after install.  States disk is broken?  Seagate 160g sata.  20gig ext4 partition for files, 10gig swap, 130 gig xfs.  This may be a clonezilla setting and unrelated to lmce at all but thought I would mention it.

Motion.conf is installing as disabled by default.  I had to manually edit the .conf file and change the text to =yes

The classic three beeps at the splash screen for av wizard no longer occurs, I missed my chance and completed initial room setup with a small window and later knew to pull av wizard command from orbiter.

WebDT orbiter screen locked at Basic Skin, unable to refresh with new devices or load skin Brushed Aluminum, Blue Crystal, Ulta (that I have tried)

I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 16, 2012, 09:13:42 pm »
Hi there. Thanks.

If clonezilla is barking that the disk is broken please sudo touch /forcefsck && sudo shutdown -r now
This will force a check on the drive. I have never encountered that... cannot say for sure what went wrong.

I will look into motion.conf. Not really sure why it would be different than any other install.

Are you saying that after the first load and reboot, it never took you to AVWizard? You shouldn't have to do anything. It should just drop you into avwiz after install. As for the beeps, I will look into that as well. I don't have any PC Speakers. I ripped them all out because they woke my wife up boot after reboot late at night.

WebDT should have absolutely nothing to do with the install whatsoever. However I do not have one to test. I would appreciate feedback from anyone else using one on the DVD install.
I never quit... I just ping out.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2012, 09:45:10 pm »

Are you saying that after the first load and reboot, it never took you to AVWizard? You shouldn't have to do anything. It should just drop you into avwiz after install. As for the beeps, I will look into that as well. I don't have any PC Speakers. I ripped them all out because they woke my wife up boot after reboot late at night.

If you have ever accidentally assigned the webDT orbiter to your hybrid you will be familiar with what I mean,  the screen posts to the upper left corner of the display at 800x600 and ignores the rest of the display (mine is currently 12?? X 1080)  That is where the House/Media Director setup wizard started.  I am stating that yes, my install with the DVD bypassed the normal av wizard (without sara) where display output>resolution>refresh>etc is established.

If you would like to test this my video card is a nVidia 7600 GT, I had a yellow line in my on-screen scripts where it selected the proprietary driver instead of default and downloaded those files.

Regarding the beeps I am just accustomed to hovering over the W key during first install because 8.10 never liked my DVI-2 display which goes through a kvm switch via conversion to vga.  During the 10.04 DVD install both DVI-1 and DVI-2 were detected and mirrored displays where chosen for me.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2012, 09:51:38 pm »
AVWizard should not skip. That's a problem. Posde noticed during a kvm install recently that it skipped avwiz as well. If it CAN run avwiz, it SHOULD run avwiz. Yes it always tries to install proprietary drivers when available so that compositing and video acceleration are available when possible.

I need to do some fresh installs from the latest snap and see what is going on. Thank you for the feedback.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2012, 10:31:50 pm »
I wanted to confirm again that the nvidia gt 7600 skips AV Wizard.

1004, August 3rd snap
Clean install up through first reboot ( where it ejects the DVD )
On the proceeding boot it states "[the next thing you will see is the av wizard]"
Instead of going anywhere though it continues on with scrolling text about various components.

After gray screen announcements about devices installing I get the Sara wizard in the top left screen corner @ 640 x 480.
Oddly enough, or maybe logical to you, my mouse has full run of the unused dark area.  I assume x recognized my card and defaulted to a higher res than lmce defaulted to without setup wizard to overwrite x?

From the onscreen orbiter I can command reboot to av wiz but am letting this instal sit for a while to catalog this and that and download this and that.  I am in no hurry if it means no packets get disrupted.

You were looking over some things last I mentioned this so let me know if you think you have it, or if I should put in a ticket.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 05, 2012, 04:51:22 am »
If that gpu is skipping AVWizard, it is almost surely due to an unrecognized soundcard.

Even if it couldn't get internet, it would run the nouveau driver through avwizard. That GPU is certified our version by nvidia. I am guessing this is sound related.

lspci -nnk | grep -i audio -A2           please

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2012, 06:09:52 am »
Sorry for the delay, here is the output of lspci -nnk | grep -i audio -A2

jeremy@dcerouter:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -i audio -A2
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:3a3e]
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

I believe that after I run AV Wizard it then pulls the ALSA (sp?) drivers.  I will confirm that after a reboot to av wizard but I know it used that in the past and I never manually instructed it to.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2012, 06:16:50 am »
Sorry for the delay, here is the output of lspci -nnk | grep -i audio -A2

I believe that after I run AV Wizard it then pulls the ALSA (sp?) drivers.  I will confirm that after a reboot to av wizard but I know it used that in the past and I never manually instructed it to.

I am a bit confused. I thought you weren't hitting AVWizard.
lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

sudo aplay -l

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2012, 07:08:18 am »
Output of lspci -nnk | grep -i audio -A2 BEFORE I ran AV Wizard (first boot to lmce when it skipped AV Wizard)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:3a3e]

Here is the output of lspci -nnk | grep -i audio -A2 AFTER I forced reboot into AV Wizard

Being exactly the same I see that nothing changed?  However I am full screen now with DVI-2/HDMI - 1080p - 60Hz settings.  After I do a little clean up I am going to edit my settings to get dual monitors working, taking screenshots as I go for that guide I owe you.  Should I wait on that until you get all the info you need about AV Wizard skipping?

Running your most recent commands:

jeremy@dcerouter:~$ lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GT] [10de:0391] (rev a1)
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nvidia-glx-260, nvidiafb, nouveau

jeremy@dcerouter:~$ sudo aplay -l
[sudo] password for jeremy:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Now THAT is interesting!  If I follow that output do I see two separate sound channels on that MSI on-board chip?  I think I am gonna take a look at the squeeze packages again.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2012, 07:38:21 am »
How are you booting AVWizard?

When you go through AVWizard you have audio etc?

This is an MD install? If so, could you please destroy it and do it again... Assuming it skips AVWizard, can I please see the output of the following...
ls /etc/X11
cat /etc/pluto.conf

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2012, 08:01:03 am »
Orbiter > Advanced > AV and Audio Setup = reboot to av wizard

Yes, once I get into av wizard I have sound.  Analog Stereo is the only available option, I select that and even though I hear the music I turn it to 100% as the signal out to my receiver is quite low.

This is a reinstall of my core/hybrid.  If the output you need is pre-av wizard I can clone this install (since it has a day now of uptime) and redo it.

OldBob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2012, 09:13:43 am »
I haven't used the system for some years (having ehthusiastically bought  three M2NPV motherboards to set up my initial 7.04 system) through fear of contributing to the greenhouse by running the server (core) 365/24/7.

However, I still drop by from time to time to see how the enthusiasts are progressing.

"The time has come" caught my attention as the feedback indicates you have been making significant progress.

I decided to try again but came unstuck at step number one.

I have downloaded LMCE-1004-20121025233126610.iso and checked its md5 sum - all OK.

I've made four burns using Nero 11 from the slowest to fastest speed.

Every one refuses to boot giving the first Linux loading line and ending in boot:

If I input anything it states "unable to find kernel" or similar.

As I can't find any similar experiences in the forum I presume I've missed something very basic in the image burning process although I've burned and used the 8.10 install successfully during the same session.

I was hoping the 10.04 would avoid me having to do the r8111 workaround. ???

Can anyone help?

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2012, 12:17:01 pm »
<snip>
Every one refuses to boot giving the first Linux loading line and ending in boot:

If I input anything it states "unable to find kernel" or similar.
<snip>

Just press Enter at that point - it should continue installing.

-Coley.

OldBob

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2012, 01:32:24 pm »
Thanks folks - my apologies - the problem was my impatience.

If I had waited for around 45 seconds the splash screen would have appeared.

I have tried this on my original M2NPV and a Z68 i5 machine and both performed similarly.

I am currently installing onto the M2NPV and all appears to be progressing as I can recall.

The ease of installation and informative splash screens is far superior to my last installs.

Well done to all of those who contributed / made it possible.