Author Topic: 1004: The time has come.  (Read 124426 times)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Re: 1004: The time has come.
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2012, 08:18:14 pm »
Seeing how HDMI sound out has never been a "given" in a Linux context,... I'd vote for leaving it out by default, and pointing those who want it to the wiki for a workaround solution,...

For me, preserving things like SPID/optical out is more important (reduces buzzing caused by the MD's internal circuitry versus standard anolog audio out). Many people who are considering machines for MDs are going to be specifically looking for optical audio out,... I know that I did...

But that's just me,...

See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2012, 08:18:22 am »
I'd vote for putting it in ;-) but I also don't mind working through a well documented wiki solution. My opinion is that sound over HDMI is going to become the standard way of doing things so it would be cool if we could go this way but provided it's do-able, if it is a problem in the installer at the moment, wiki-workaround is fine. (Not that I've used either... I'm must looking to the future). Can always wait for 12.04 ;-)

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2012, 08:21:02 am »
Hhhmmmm,

Its gonna come down to personal prefence...

HDMI and Optical cable to Amp or Just one HDMI cable to amp....
Fewer cables the more neater it looks and easier to maintain......

Just my 2cents.

L3mce, why dont you put it up for a vote???

Karel

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2012, 04:21:37 pm »
What are people's experience with HDMI audio out and getting hum over that line? I use optical out, and experience zero hum. All other devices going to my amp get humming, sometimes pretty badly...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2012, 05:13:37 pm »
Sounds like you have a ground loop. Have you tried to hunt it down?

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2012, 09:35:37 pm »
Sounds like you have a ground loop. Have you tried to hunt it down?
Agreed. They only connection that doesn't make noise is optical? That's a ground loop.

I think I am going to put an ugly screen in front of avwiz that asks what connection you INTEND on trying to use, and making its deliberation from there what to do, and whether a reboot is necessary based on the devices available. This will also, as I said, allow multiple card use on any output.
I never quit... I just ping out.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2012, 06:38:21 pm »
Isolating an electrical problem in my house is like herding cats. I once found a live 240 line that was just cut and curled up in the ceiling of the basement,... I was lucky I wasn't electrocuted when I tried to test whether it was live with a current detector. It sparked and set off the breaker... Have at least one shared neutral in the house too (opposite phases, so it's OK)... A lot of the wiring was done by one of the previous owners,... nothing labeled correctly, save what I've done... A real mess! There's also not a single plum wall or square corner either,... again, save what I've done myself...

So for me it's optical sound output, whenever possible.

tsoukas

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2012, 09:47:04 pm »
Ground loop problems?
I have searched extensively for a solution, switched motherboards, changed amplifiers, speakers, power supplies (substitute linear for normal ones) but could not get rid of the noise.
Until i tried engine noise suppressors !!
They look like little barrels , with rca inputs and outputs. They are used in audio car systems to kill engine/electrical interference. Price can vary from 5 to 20 euros but its the ONLY thing that can kill motherboard interference.
I was ready to invest in optical to rca CYP Converters, but these guys saved the day....
Hope it helps someone.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2012, 10:13:49 pm »
I think that groundloop would be caused by the cable touching a metal casing. It being chasis or from the Tv or Amp or DVD Player.

Karel

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2012, 10:56:17 pm »
I think that groundloop would be caused by the cable touching a metal casing. It being chasis or from the Tv or Amp or DVD Player.

Karel

Could be... They can form through power grounds, signal grounds, chassis grounds. Could be a problem with house wiring, the way you have your equipment connected, and/or bad grounding design in just one piece of equipment in your setup.

Best way to diagnose them is to strip your AV setup down to the bare minimum to see if it can be eliminated. Try other outlets in your house. Try another house. Swap out a piece of equipment for a different model. Be systematic.

To bring the conversation back on topic it doesn't make sense to me to design LMCE for optical just because it provides ground loop protection, since this isn't a problem for most people.  I prefer optical over HDMI because downstream of my MD I don't mix audio and video in any device, and I don't want to need a receiver which can separate the two.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2012, 11:08:47 pm »
Hi,

Simple setup - MD is Revo 330 to TV via HDMI.  Sound and Video.

Optical out on Revo is ONLY for a receiver.

TV's only usually have optical out and/or analog out in one form or another i.e. RCA white/red or 1/8 inch mini-jack out.

But, you have to get the audio to the TV first, and then if you want - out to your receiver.

For the simple REVO setup - no HDMI, no receiver = no sound on TV.

Cheers

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2012, 11:29:32 pm »
It's going to be a mixed bag of some wanting HDMI, others optical... It really is a case-by-case situation. In my experience with Linux video drivers, HDMI audio is often lacking altogether, or poorly supported. Maybe it's improved since I last looked into it, but I don't have a lot of faith that it has.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:13 pm »
Hi,

Have used a Revo with HDMI for some time now.

Usually had to play with it at times (alsa) but it has always worked 8.10 and above.

Cheers.

pigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2012, 02:07:42 am »
Hi,

BTW, on snap 20120608011426058 when my Revo MD was announced to the router (auto detected - no manual running of TBZ) and everything downloaded/installed, after AVWizard selections I had HDMI audio and 1080p video.

Cheers

PlatypusPedersen

• Regular Poster
  • Hugs?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2012, 03:52:17 pm »
I would prefer audio via HDMI, less cables.