Author Topic: 1004: The time has come.  (Read 124405 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: 1004: The time has come.
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2012, 09:18:46 pm »
Hi Guys

Attached is the lspci output and Xorg.1.log file.

And I can confirm that I do not have a xorg.conf file.

I did a fresh install, rebooted, waited for the screen above to apear, I clicked on KDE, did the SB upgrade, rebooted, and no output on any screen devices :(

I managed to ssh into the box, and it would seem that even iptables did not run.

I tried forcing AVWizardWrapper, and pressing 1-0 still nothing.

Tried another fresh install with a Nvidia card after this, I will let you guys know

Hold off a couple of hours.
I changed everything...

again.
I never quit... I just ping out.

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2012, 09:02:44 am »
Please shout when ready.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2012, 12:44:55 am »
Tomorrow at the earliest.

Snaps keep barfing.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »
LMCE-1004-20120602141526029.iso completed. Should be up in a couple hours.

I believe this snap will work well, assuming the underlying build went well.
I have fixed Desktop from hybrid, among other things... including what should be very accurate ATI driver designation.

I am changing avwizard to test specific HDMI devices in the audio portion. This should solve HDMI audio on all devices that are currently not working, but will take me a little time.

I am also adding logic to automatically reload the router for headless installs that are not already setup. Without an orbiter to warn you and give you a button, the first MD cannot currently be used till people reboot or do something clever with messagesend.

dextaslab

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • modlog.net
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2012, 10:12:55 am »
Just on 4th install, so far still stuck at networking issues - single network card, etc..

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2012, 11:04:30 am »

Just on 4th install, so far still stuck at networking issues - single network card, etc..

The Latest Snap?
Im downloading atm, and will test when I get home later tonight.

Karel

dextaslab

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • modlog.net
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2012, 11:16:39 am »
Yeah, the first 3 issues where upstream installer issues - installer failes when selecting a different HDD to install to.
Currently using this: http://linuxmce.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/hack-5-howto-modify-network-configuration/ backwards to fix my NIC, which is all good now, I just have about 400+ USB game pads that installed on the headless core, which has no game pad attached.

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2012, 09:23:27 pm »
I've had the same issues with multiple detection of non existant gamepads on a headless core install. I hadn't worried too much about it as I was in a VM and thought it might have been as a result of that.
-Coley.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2012, 10:49:23 pm »
Something is triggering the gamepad install script.
In my case it was my logitech universal receiver.

Got this from another thread...
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,12297.0.html

The Problem was caused by the auto-installed Gamepad.

Solution for 1004:
1. Delete all Gamepad Devices from your device tree
2. Edit /usr/pluto/bin/Gamepad_Detect.sh and add  a "exit 0" (insert it before "done")
Code: [Select]
sleep 5

### FIX FOR GAMEPAD
exit 0

done

3. reboot

Thanks to tschak for the solution/wokraround

Karel
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:51:22 pm by DragonK »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2012, 01:28:50 am »
I will install multiple HDs and check the installer on that. That would be me.

Gamepad is not my world... but I will look into it. I don't understand why this would be different than a network install on that end... The NIC thing is odd... will look into that as well. Everything else has been solid from various testers. As always, thanks.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2012, 11:21:27 am »
Pretty sure I also got a gamepad detected on my HP6710b notebook MD... will track down what it actually is and see if I can assist.

dextaslab

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • modlog.net
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2012, 03:11:36 pm »
Something is triggering the gamepad install script.
In my case it was my logitech universal receiver.

Got this from another thread...
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,12297.0.html

Karel

That explanes the second forced reboot, the console streams, "confirming <something>".... "Device installed" down the page until you reboot it, and at about 1 every 2-3 seconds, 400+ would be about right. After the second reboot they do stop and display driver, etc... starts

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2012, 01:46:37 am »
Snapshot  LMCE-1004-20120606003426051.iso should be available soon. This has improved headless support. It now reloads the router automatically if there are no users when an MD installs.

If anyone has a capture card in their core, which is headless, I would be very curious if you were able to setup mythtv. I would expect that to be a problem.
Getting that working is going to be a bit more work than I was anticipating, and it means I am going to have to switch my core and dev box to test and try and figure out a solution. Network capture like HDHR works.

*Yep. Multiple drives seems to be an issue. It installs correctly, but grub is absolutely buggered. This is my setup:

/dev/sda my builders drive
/dev/sdb my thumbdrive I am installing from
/dev/sdc the target install (connected through USB because my little test board literally has one SATA port and no IDEs)

/dev/sda grub only shows the /dev/sda installs (of which there are two)
update-grub reveals and adds /dev/sdb (though it cannot boot to it, as I would expect as it is basically a dvd) with the correct kernel, and nothing on /dev/sdc. So, remove the thumbdrive and bang, I can boot from grub menu.

Please describe your setup in a similar fashion, and what OSes we are dealing with. Long and short, you need to get to linux and as root:
Code: [Select]
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub

This should be happening from ubiquity, but obviously isn't working correctly. Because I attached my second drive through USB, clearly this is causing issues for my specific test. Once we figure out what needs to happen, I will make it happen. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:16:01 am by l3mce »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2012, 04:48:56 am »
Ok... it appears that ubiquity does not instinctively target its grub install to the first bootable drive... nor can you specify that target unless you use the "custom partition" option.

I was going to just try and figure out how to determine the first bootable drive and script it... but... if you are running some sort of funky RAID... I don't wanna... and it would open up the possibility I install grub on one drive in a RAID, blowing things up... and LMCE does NOT blow things up so...

We are an appliance. We are meant to run, and run everything.
If you want to dual boot or something odd on multiple drives, you have to use the custom partitioner, which is provided, and target it yourself, or do the steps I outlined above replacing /dev/sda with whatever your first bootable designation is.

That is just sort of where I am at with that. I am not taking the chance messing up a different install. Consider it unsupported.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:50:32 am by l3mce »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2012, 03:28:05 pm »
One of the next snapshots I am going to try an experiment and install alsa backport modules by default... so many of the newer cards require it in order to get HDMI showing, I want to see if it breaks anything installing it by default.

I will let you know when that happens. Feedback on that specific snap would be particularly helpful.

********** I changed my mind after a couple of impromptu tests

On SOME cards, this can have unpopular results. I sort of go both ways. I wonder how many people are wanting to use HDMI by default. It sort of boils down to, sometimes it removes all devices BUT HDMI, usually all devices are available, or without most of the newer stuff does not have HDMI.

I cannot do this on the fly by selecting HDMI in avwizard. Has to sort of go one way or the other.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:57:55 pm by l3mce »