Author Topic: 1004: The time has come.  (Read 124476 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: 1004: The time has come.
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2012, 03:31:49 am »
I've already reinstalled 0810 but will install 1004 on second disc tomorrow and post 70-persistent-net.rules.

Hardware works fine with 0810 installation and i double checked every piece of hardware while trying to setup 1004.

Went from working 810 to my install back to 810... it isn't the equipment... something went horribly wrong during install.
If you have the time to do another sometime, with whatever the latest snap is at the time, if you have the same results... I would REALLY like to figure out what the issue is. If nothing else just tar up your /var/log folder and email it to me.
I never quit... I just ping out.

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2012, 03:19:18 pm »
Hi L3mce

I know SB is still not fully supported, but I had to try my luck :)
Install goes fine, but when AV Wizzard is supposed to come up, it seems to pop into KDE. Asking it to rewboot and run avwizard does the same thing.

I then did the SB update as suggested in the thread, and when I reboot i get a completely black screen and nothing seems to happen :(

Any ideas/suggestions on things I can try?

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2012, 05:20:29 pm »
Please tell me more about your equipment, snapshot version, and install... you got Desktop?

I find that... very confusing. Something broke along the way is my guess... and it never completed the sequence which... actually... I have no idea how you are getting desktop... unless this is an MD.

To prevent KDE from hitting, you have to echo "/bin/false" > /etc/X11/default-display-manager
but it sounds like this is no longer your problem.
Posde has a wiki detailing sandy bridge. Check that out.

bushtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2012, 02:44:00 pm »
25987 snap

Installing as core+md. Goes into endless reboot. It correctly ID´s my coreś GT240 Nvidia but then tries to load the GT260 which it can´t find.
Core:Asus P8H77-V, Intel core i3-3240 LGA155, Inno 3D Nvidia 240 GT (DVI+VGA+HDMI), 4Gb ram, 125Gb SSD
MD: Zotax Zbox ID41

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2012, 06:42:08 pm »
Hi L3Me

snap 20120523004925983.

System details where attached on the previous post, i put the whole dmesg there.
CPU: i5 2400
MB:  asus p8H77-M      
I did the Hybrid install after booting into the live disk to make sure it can see my hdd.

Currently I have my TV (HDMI) and my screen (RGB) both going into standby even on the boot section after doing the suggested updates for SB

Do you think is might be a problem with the backport? As it does install fine, I just dont get the AV Wizzard?

Must I grab the snap from today and try again?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:50:07 pm by PreDeToR_ »

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2012, 07:32:12 pm »
Medrawd:

Are you by chance behind a router feeding your external network? (meaning that you are going from modem -> router -> internet in core)

In fact, anyone who has a looping avwizard/totally busted network can you answer the same?
Anyone with success please ALSO answer the same?

Medrawd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2012, 08:06:41 pm »
I just reinstalled 1004 from the same snapshot.... and internet is working.
ATI MD have distorted picture, looks similar to radio interferences but there is no such thing on 0810 so it's not hardware.
MythTV detects cards, find channels and play live tv.
Video and audio playback works.
Diskless MDs boot.

later this week I will check telephone and other MDs.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2012, 08:45:26 pm »
when the avwizard interface first appears, depending on the connection type, it may be sized inappropriately. It is displaying on all outputs now, however I believe what is happening, is that it is TRYING to read from a type of output (HDMI) and finding no EDID data is just guessing.

If you press the number which corresponds to your output type at screen one, it should fix itself (1 for vga 2 for vga2 3... etc)

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2012, 08:43:51 am »
Hi L3mce

I did a fresh install off the previously mentioned snap. and after the reboot I got the following screen.
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad184/PreDeToR_/LinuxMCE/photo2.jpg
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad184/PreDeToR_/LinuxMCE/photo1.jpg

As you can see it uses only a small section of the screen and goes straight to the "if you can see and hear me" video.

I then popped into terminal and tried running the AVWizard and AVWizard Wrapper, I can get/set the settings there, but it doesnt seem to save them.

Is there any logs or other information that I can give you?

bushtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2012, 09:54:56 am »
Thanks to L3mce I have now got snap 25987 running on my core and ID41 md. Video on md through hdmi seems fine with slight pixellation/tearing? on a fast pan. Now just need to sort out the sound on the ID41. Haven´t heard a peep out of Sarah ;D. L3mce did post something about the sound issue which I´m going to try.

Big,big thanks to L3mce, you rock!             
Core:Asus P8H77-V, Intel core i3-3240 LGA155, Inno 3D Nvidia 240 GT (DVI+VGA+HDMI), 4Gb ram, 125Gb SSD
MD: Zotax Zbox ID41

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2012, 11:02:55 am »
Hi L3mce

I did a fresh install off the previously mentioned snap. and after the reboot I got the following screen.
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad184/PreDeToR_/LinuxMCE/photo2.jpg
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad184/PreDeToR_/LinuxMCE/photo1.jpg

As you can see it uses only a small section of the screen and goes straight to the "if you can see and hear me" video.

I then popped into terminal and tried running the AVWizard and AVWizard Wrapper, I can get/set the settings there, but it doesnt seem to save them.

Is there any logs or other information that I can give you?

Guys Any suggestions?

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2012, 11:29:03 am »
PreDeTor_, what's your graphics hardware? Sandy Bridge? Did you go through the SB wiki stuff after this fresh install?

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2012, 11:53:08 am »
Hi Jamo

Yes its SB, I would like to use the onboard if possible to reduce power usage.

When I do the SB stuff from the wiki, then I stop getting any stuff on the screen even during the text boot section.
I have tried waiting for the boot to complete and then pressed 1-0  about 10 seconds apart, but it did nothing.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2012, 02:24:48 pm »
Is it an MD or hybrid you're trying to setup?

There's no way, IMHO, it will work with onboard graphics without doing the backport stuff because the chipset just isn't supported in 10.04. When you *do* see graphics but it's small and squashed, I think that is just the fallback to the Vesa driver that occurs when the whole configure and driver install part fails. I get the same thing with my old Radeon cards that are incorrectly assigned to the fglrx driver.

A symptom of that is no xorg.conf file in /etc/X11. Can you confirm that that is the case?

Can you

lspci | grep -i Vga as well?

----

I got the backport stuff working on mine and at that stage it wasn't folded into the snapshots. I don't know if it is yet but I doubt it. Also that was on a core which I have subsequently re-installed as headless.

Drop by IRC sometime and see if you can get l3mce to help... he's brilliant at troubleshooting this stuff. I'm busy building an HTPC at the moment that will probably have the same issues- there is the possibilty of discrete graphics but if the onboard can work, as you say, power saving and slot saving always good.

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:09 pm »
Hi Guys

Attached is the lspci output and Xorg.1.log file.

And I can confirm that I do not have a xorg.conf file.

I did a fresh install, rebooted, waited for the screen above to apear, I clicked on KDE, did the SB upgrade, rebooted, and no output on any screen devices :(

I managed to ssh into the box, and it would seem that even iptables did not run.

I tried forcing AVWizardWrapper, and pressing 1-0 still nothing.

Tried another fresh install with a Nvidia card after this, I will let you guys know