Author Topic: 1004: The time has come.  (Read 124459 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: 1004: The time has come.
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 02:42:35 pm »
toppot: Deleting problem iso's is not at all a bad idea, and usually done.
We tried having a latest_snapshot.iso and it was problematic for a few reasons.

valent: I have, in this latest snapshot, swapped the driver that runs in VM from vesa to fbdev... and I am the only one to test it thus far. Vesa had problems with KVM, and pretty much the only things that use vesa anymore are VMs because we detect and use everything else. The vesa driver seems faster/better for virtualbox, but as I said, results in failure for KVM. So... the latest SHOULD work just fine, but is untested being birthed of fluffy. I make my own fun here at the house because my internet is poo. Nothing is 100%. This latest SHOULD be great, but it is an experimental installer. Once you load it you will see how different it is. There are a lot of advantages to the new snapshots, but they are terribly imperfect I am afraid.

pedlar: I figured out what I did. The new snapshot should have all of this resolved.
I never quit... I just ping out.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 03:03:32 pm »
Could you perhaps for the sake of overview etc. delete a VERY problematic ISO like LMCE-1004-20120508033925950.iso?

Open a ticket when you detect a "VERY problematic ISO" with some notes. Tickets get looked at quite often, forum messages sometimes only scanned by the people who have the ability to delete the snapshots.
And secondly: I am the biggest fan of rsync - how about having the latest ISO twice on the iptp.org server. One should be called "LMCE-1004-20120509195625955.iso" (or whatever), and then the other one could be "LMCE-1004-latest_pre-beta.iso" - and all people should do is zsync that file, and never have to worry  8) (since you would be the one overwriting the latest - with the latest :)

We had this for a VERY short period of time. And removed it because l3mce could never tell, what exact version the people were using. So: no default latest.

pedplar

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2012, 02:33:42 am »

pedlar: I figured out what I did. The new snapshot should have all of this resolved.

So the revo should finish now.  I will download it in the morning when I get out of work. Probably wont be until Friday evening (eastern time) when I will be able to test it for you.

Is anyone else even testing these on a regular basis?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 02:35:30 am by pedplar »

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2012, 05:49:36 am »

Yes.  And just burning *5955 now to test.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2012, 06:03:22 am »

If nobody cares I would love to move on to a different project. This seemed an area I could help most, for this version and beyond... but if nobody gives a poo I am comfortable with where they are...

bushtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2012, 06:57:03 am »
Testing yes. Bandwidth permitting :(
Core:Asus P8H77-V, Intel core i3-3240 LGA155, Inno 3D Nvidia 240 GT (DVI+VGA+HDMI), 4Gb ram, 125Gb SSD
MD: Zotax Zbox ID41

huh

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2012, 07:20:18 am »
but if nobody gives a poo I am comfortable with where they are...

Well, as that you offered, my shih tzu's could use some more uniforms!  My vote, however, is to encourage you to keep pushing this further and let us keep testing these so it really gets to the point that you put in the DVD, press a couple keys and a little while later are on your way to a smart house.

pedplar

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2012, 07:28:10 am »
I would think this topic would be pretty big. Less then an hour to have a fully installed and running core. Then another 20 or so for each md. Thats a pretty quick install compared to a kubuntu network install. Only takes me about 40 minutes to download the larger ISO. If you want to keep making them I can test. I have an empty 40gig drive in the core.  Most of my machines are nvidia based, except for an Intel in a eee box.

Edit. I might even have an onboard ati somewhere. I have been using LinuxMCE for a while. I played with 7.04. Used 7.10 when it first came out. So its been years. So if you want to keep putting out snap shots the least I can do is test most of them.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:24:30 am by pedplar »

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2012, 06:01:04 pm »
Got the latest snap. Supper with the family tonight.
Will test tomorrow morning and give feedback.

Karel

pedplar

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2012, 10:03:30 pm »
Have 5955 installed on the core.  No problems at all.  just shy of an hour for a complete install.  First MD running diskless setup right now a Revo 1600.  I still get a failed to start x.  Rebooted and failed to start x.

Edit:   I ran the EEE Box b202 and that completed.  The first 2 screens of the AV wizard were way to large.  I could only see maybe a quarter of the screen, but managed to get through the wizard.  I finished the Sarah setup just waiting on the installing part.   I am sure it will finish to the orbiter.  Trying an onboard ATI Radeon 3000 right now.  Also a failed to start x.  I also tried another Nvidia based system, onboard 6100, and Failed to start x.  So only the Intel worked.

The EEE Box works fine.

Managed to get the Revo to display the AV Wizard.  The Nvidia drivers are failing to install.  I had to apt-get install nvidia-260-kernel-source. gave me a error that it couldnt install dkms.  I apt-get update, apt-get install dkms. Then apt-get install nvidia-260-kernel-source, rebooted and then AV wizard came up. Finished the setup and The first Revo is up and running.

Edit again.

My second revo also came up with failed to start x.  I opened a terminal up and apt-get update and upgrade.  It downloaded some updates.  restarted it and it started installing the nvidia drivers.  failed to start x, rebooted and AV Wizard came up.

Also I have always chroot to the md and passwd so I can ssh to the md's as root.  I did it and when I ssh to any md, I get Bad owner or permissions on /root/.ssh/config.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:19:56 pm by pedplar »

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2012, 12:56:16 pm »
I see all but the last two snapshots are available on http://linuxmce.iptp.org/snapshots/, does deleting that many not reduce the usefulness of the zsync files? If you happen to miss a snapshot or two and they get deleted the zsync file is no good and you are back to downloading a full image.

-Coley.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2012, 04:36:49 pm »
Have 5955 installed on the core.  No problems at all.  just shy of an hour for a complete install.  First MD running diskless setup right now a Revo 1600.  I still get a failed to start x.  Rebooted and failed to start x.

Edit:   I ran the EEE Box b202 and that completed.  The first 2 screens of the AV wizard were way to large.  I could only see maybe a quarter of the screen, but managed to get through the wizard.  I finished the Sarah setup just waiting on the installing part.   I am sure it will finish to the orbiter.  Trying an onboard ATI Radeon 3000 right now.  Also a failed to start x.  I also tried another Nvidia based system, onboard 6100, and Failed to start x.  So only the Intel worked.

The EEE Box works fine.

Managed to get the Revo to display the AV Wizard.  The Nvidia drivers are failing to install.  I had to apt-get install nvidia-260-kernel-source. gave me a error that it couldnt install dkms.  I apt-get update, apt-get install dkms. Then apt-get install nvidia-260-kernel-source, rebooted and then AV wizard came up. Finished the setup and The first Revo is up and running.

Edit again.

My second revo also came up with failed to start x.  I opened a terminal up and apt-get update and upgrade.  It downloaded some updates.  restarted it and it started installing the nvidia drivers.  failed to start x, rebooted and AV Wizard came up.

Also I have always chroot to the md and passwd so I can ssh to the md's as root.  I did it and when I ssh to any md, I get Bad owner or permissions on /root/.ssh/config.

Firstly, thanks so much for the feedback. I will address the errors as I understand them... and I am going to go backwards.
1. Don't do that. Your MDs and Core are designed to share a key. To ssh to the md just sudo ssh moonXX    That will drop you into the MD as root and not break a bunch of stuff. Whether or not I have that working correctly again needs testing, but that can't happen on this snapshot because:
2. I am an idiot. I changed ownership of the /root directory. The next snapshot will not have this problem. You can try, as the regular user:
Code: [Select]
sudo chown -R $USER: /root that might get you back to normal, but it would be better if it never happened.
3. nVidia cards are failing on first install because the reboot function is not working. A reboot is required on nVidia installs. I am working on that.
4. ATI failed... that's a bummer. I expect that it is due to the same driver problem you experienced with the nvidia in that they are not downloading. If you could get me an lspci | grep VGA I can confirm it wants the fglrx driver.
5. Sizing. I am going to guess that you are using a monitor not attached to hdmi when you see the big screen. What is happening here is that it defaults to an HDMI output, however things have been changed so that AVWizard displays on ALL outputs at the same time, so it is piping to your monitor with the HDMI settings. If you press the number which correlates to your output, it will resize itself properly (eg 1 for VGA1). The old way, you wouldn't have a display at all, just a blank screen. I am keeping this this way, because I am trying to open up some multiple monitor scenarios in the future, and I figure an odd display is better than a black screen.

I believe an apt-get update must not be happening though it should... there is one in the firstrun file I edited to try and fix all the other ATIs... perhaps I broke it.

Again, can't thank you enough for testing and reporting back.

Coley... We are doing so much testing on various distros that fluffy is running out of space. Those broken .iso's eat up a lot of useless space. Try instead to rename whatever snapshot you have to the new name, or even the new name.part  and run the zsync... it should just pick up and go.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:39:32 pm by l3mce »

coley

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2012, 07:50:36 pm »
Figured it was a space issue.
I didn't realise you could use any older snapshot to sync with to generate a new iso.

thanks
-Coley.

pedplar

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2012, 10:39:24 am »
Yes the Large screen problem is connected through a dvi to vga adapter.  For the nvidia cards, I just tried rebooting it 4 or 5 times after a failed to get x.  Each time it would never install the drivers.  The last time between reboots I ran apt-get update and then rebooted, after that the nvidia drivers installed. one more failed to startx reboot and av wizard came up.  I think I'm gonna run this install as my daily for now. 4 mds running plus the md on the core, along with a cm11a and a dozen X10 switches, motion detectors, and lamp modules.

Downloading 5961 right now.  If I get sometime tomorrow I will give that a try.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 05:27:11 pm »
Yes... I see what I did to break MD's and any chance of update, in rather terrific fashion.

The next snapshot (ending in 25964) is going to be somewhat special. I have fixed the above mentioned problem I created, and added support for all of the new nvidia cards. This is temporary, and some finer work will be needed to get HDMI going in almost all cases. There is also a new fix for dual GPUs that uses the better of them.

This is a terribly hacky (non LMCE way) of doing this, so it is not likely to stay... but I need feedback, so those of you with newer cards, this would be a good one to test if you are so inclined.

Now, currently nvidia installs are not doing their required reboot on MDs. I have tried to fix that, but am not at all sure it is working yet, so do not freak out if your nvidia MD fails on its first try. I have also fixed a typo on a source, and some other small but important things. As always, thanks guys.