Author Topic: A note about the work I have been doing.  (Read 9418 times)

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
A note about the work I have been doing.
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:00:47 am »
I have done some things recently which have a lot of instant gratification, and curb appeal. The DVD installer is prettier and should end up easier to use than prior stuff. The video detection opened up a LOT of previously unavailable hardware opportunities for use with LMCE.

A lot of people have told me I'm cool. It makes me feel pretty inside.

Then I look over at golgoj's nic. Awake and plugging away when I am. Handling complaints about software he is writing in languages unknown to other devs, with no support outside of that which involves the existing system. He is in uncharted territory, building from scratch... and nobody has really picked up the invitation to help him (outside of Merk of course). He is unshaken by this, and when he encounters a problem, learns the language behind the problem and carries on.

The base code was there for everything I have done, except the dvd thing which I had a lot of existing other projects to steal from... and... it's just bash scripting. I can type #bash in IRC if I have a problem, and there are 15 experts who dump a solution I have been working on for hours or days in a couple of seconds. Golgoj IS one of the top guys in the qt channels. He has to understand the core architecture of LMCE, learn C++, js, qt, QML, mysql, build it all from scratch and make it all work... and people seem to be more complaining than alerting about problems.

So... while I am very happy with myself and my pet projects... they are NOTHING like the scope of things golgoj is doing, with little adulation or fanfare. Once I am satisfied that my projects are not causing any problems whatsoever, I will be helping him full time. I really do thank you all for your support of my instant gratification exercises... but... when you think about it... give golgoj the props. His stuff is a lot harder, without the YAY factor, and will end up completely changing how this project interacts with the users.

All hail Langston.
You f!@#$in rock.
I never quit... I just ping out.

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A note about the work I have been doing.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 02:27:03 am »
Ah ha...

Feel pretty, you cool SOB, you!

Don't misunderstand...  I mean no minimization upon Golgoj, in any way, here...

...However, I've gotta' say this:

You've done FAR more, even just for me, than tweakin' the scripts, or improving the DVD install process.  Even if it assisted you as well, in your bug-hunting, you've spend HOURS with me in IRC, helping me with nearly everything under the sun...

You ARE cool...  Get over it!

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 02:38:54 am »
I have done some things recently which have a lot of instant gratification, and curb appeal. The DVD installer is prettier and should end up easier to use than prior stuff. The video detection opened up a LOT of previously unavailable hardware opportunities for use with LMCE.

A lot of people have told me I'm cool. It makes me feel pretty inside.

Then I look over at golgoj's nic. Awake and plugging away when I am. Handling complaints about software he is writing in languages unknown to other devs, with no support outside of that which involves the existing system. He is in uncharted territory, building from scratch... and nobody has really picked up the invitation to help him (outside of Merk of course). He is unshaken by this, and when he encounters a problem, learns the language behind the problem and carries on.

The base code was there for everything I have done, except the dvd thing which I had a lot of existing other projects to steal from... and... it's just bash scripting. I can type #bash in IRC if I have a problem, and there are 15 experts who dump a solution I have been working on for hours or days in a couple of seconds. Golgoj IS one of the top guys in the qt channels. He has to understand the core architecture of LMCE, learn C++, js, qt, QML, mysql, build it all from scratch and make it all work... and people seem to be more complaining than alerting about problems.

So... while I am very happy with myself and my pet projects... they are NOTHING like the scope of things golgoj is doing, with little adulation or fanfare. Once I am satisfied that my projects are not causing any problems whatsoever, I will be helping him full time. I really do thank you all for your support of my instant gratification exercises... but... when you think about it... give golgoj the props. His stuff is a lot harder, without the YAY factor, and will end up completely changing how this project interacts with the users.

All hail Langston.
You f!@#$in rock.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but as ive said in IRC, you are bringing the LinuxMCE project to a wider group of users because all the shiny app in the world doesnt matter if users cant install it. And you plug away at it like a machine. Dont minimize the hard work you have put in to make the 1st impression of Linuxmce (often the most important) a much better one!

thanks again though :)
-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

bushtech

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 04:44:55 pm »
You guys both Rock!!
Core:Asus P8H77-V, Intel core i3-3240 LGA155, Inno 3D Nvidia 240 GT (DVI+VGA+HDMI), 4Gb ram, 125Gb SSD
MD: Zotax Zbox ID41

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:40:30 pm »
Where do we send the beer to all of you?  ;D

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 12:26:02 am »
to me :-)
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:01:46 am »
LOL!  :D

PreDeToR_

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 10:00:24 am »
I totally agree with l3mce.

You guys are all doing great work and it is really showing in the system, I can wait to test out 10.04 on my new system :)

Where I will hopefully be able to test and give some feedback on.

You guys are doing some amazing stuff!!!

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 02:41:14 pm »
Agreed ... outstanding work!

Using 10.04 fairly stable, but for instability stemming from having to re-map cable channels manually (NOT LinuxMCE's fault, blame to Cable Co. there). Once I finish that, I will be setting up the media directors and tackling Hulu plugins, telephony, tweaking, etc. All-in-all a terrific piece of work!
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 07:19:59 pm »
Will you 2 quit patting each other on the back and get this stuff working!  ;D On a serious note good work.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 06:19:38 pm »
Will you 2 quit patting each other on the back and get this stuff working!  ;D On a serious note good work.

feel free to
teach yourself c++ (like i did)

-annoyed langston
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 08:11:03 pm »
Wasn't meaning to annoy you Langston  ;D I understand what you are going through. I have 2 projects within LMCE I am working on. The problem I have is a 2 year old and a 9 month old. My wife and friends call LMCE 'the system', the good thing is my wife knows how to pretty much get around and get things back working when they freeze up or crash, i.e. MythTV.   Once again keep up the great work, and by all means pat each other on the back, just no kissing!  ;D