Author Topic: A Split  (Read 5476 times)

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
A Split
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:40:52 pm »
No, not a bad split

But, we are approaching a point with qOrbiter where it wont be possible for people using 810 to keep using it. There are going to be structural changes on the DCE side that just aren't compatible. Im looking for a way to try and keep both, but it will come at the expense of time spent finishing the new stuff working out backporting strategies. That being said, there _will_ be a point in the future where the functionality of a qOrbiter connected to an 810 installation plain lacks functionality. With this new technology, it would be silly in my opinion to limit capabilities for legacy systems.

Progress can be painful, but necessary. The question is, as an 810 user, whats stopping you from moving to 1004?

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

avajon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A Split
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:23:58 pm »
hi,

at first i want to say: WOW, i saw your qOrbiter Videos on youtube and i'm very very impressed.
I am a 0810 user since the beginning of this version.  Whats stopping me from moving to 1004? Nothing. I just need time; WAF is also very important :)

offtopic: Do you know if there is any effort in upgrade lmce to 1204?

thank you for your hard work
avajon

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:27:42 pm »
hi,

at first i want to say: WOW, i saw your qOrbiter Videos on youtube and i'm very very impressed.
I am a 0810 user since the beginning of this version.  Whats stopping me from moving to 1004? Nothing. I just need time; WAF is also very important :)

offtopic: Do you know if there is any effort in upgrade lmce to 1204?

thank you for your hard work
avajon

All efforts go to 1004, we will focus on that, 1204 is a forbidden number to talk about.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 11:56:58 pm »
All efforts go to 1004, we will focus on that, 1204 is a forbidden number to talk about.

The 1st rule of 1204 is not to talk about 1204!
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:03:15 am »
Just some thoughts thrown out for consideration...

In my $Day_Job, I work with the Enterprise Distros, and with a formalized set of change management processes.  In both, a significant change to form, fit, or function usually warrants a major version change, and an impact assessment weighing the need for change against the stability of the environment.

With 8.04 presently being the "stable release", and 10.04 being the alpha/beta "development release", might I suggest that a change in orbitors might constitute a major change to form, fit, and function.  Might it not be better to concentrate efforts on integrating and stabilizing the new orbitor with 10.04?  That way those who value stability can remain on 8.04 with the existing technology, and those who don't mind living on the edge can help with testing the new qOrbitor.

For the communities' consideration...

/Mike

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:50:20 am »
Just some thoughts thrown out for consideration...

In my $Day_Job, I work with the Enterprise Distros, and with a formalized set of change management processes.  In both, a significant change to form, fit, or function usually warrants a major version change, and an impact assessment weighing the need for change against the stability of the environment.

With 8.04 presently being the "stable release", and 10.04 being the alpha/beta "development release", might I suggest that a change in orbitors might constitute a major change to form, fit, and function.  Might it not be better to concentrate efforts on integrating and stabilizing the new orbitor with 10.04?  That way those who value stability can remain on 8.04 with the existing technology, and those who don't mind living on the edge can help with testing the new qOrbitor.

For the communities' consideration...

/Mike

a pragmatic and wise thought. Im inclined to agree with you

-golgoj4

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 04:39:50 pm »
With 8.04 presently being the "stable release"

hopefully, you verify your numbers in your day job better than you do in this forum... SCNR

We do not have a stable 804 release, but a stable 810 :P

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »
hopefully, you verify your numbers in your day job better than you do in this forum... SCNR

We do not have a stable 804 release, but a stable 810 :P

Mea Culpa!  Thanks, I normally do my due diligence at work.  I was posting in the short amount of free time I had before bed, after doing a long z/OS system messages lab after a long day at work, so I'll put it down to having '04' on the <somewhat fried> brain.

;)

/Mike