Author Topic: 1004 install hangs after INITRD message  (Read 5337 times)

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
1004 install hangs after INITRD message
« on: April 03, 2012, 01:12:07 pm »
Giving 1004 a go....

1. Downloaded 201203211118 snapshot and burned to DVD.
2. Install past the kubuntu stuff, seemed to go fine, got to the point where the text messages from lmce were coming up
3. Last text message that came up on the screen over the splash image was something to do with INITRD... stayed there a while, when I moved the mouse it disappeared and no activity
after that.

Eventually +- hour with no hdd or dvd activity and I powered off.

Is there any install log or anything I can look at to see how far it got and what the problem was?

In the meantime, I will try the internet install...

P.S. hardware:

Mobo: FOXCONN H61MX-V DDR3 LGA1155
CPU: INTEL CORE I5 2400 3.1GHZ
NIC1: Integrated
Graphics: Integrated
NIC2: Realtek something or other PCI.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: 1004 install hangs after INITRD message
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 03:03:51 am »
The initrd is the last thing that happens on that image. There is a log... It should have tried (and failed) to reboot after that, displaying (and hanging) on the shutdown bootsplash. Pressing enter should have competed the reboot.

There is a snap that came out today that needs to be tested, but ALL of those weird issues should be resolved. The snapshots are VERY experimental on a pre-alpha release. Typically I will want to see your logs, but so much has changed since then, I am not sure they would be relevant. I am more curious about your hardware, as everyone has had decent luck with that particular .iso. Can you please detail the machine it ran on? Also, was an internet connection available to that machine during this install?
I never quit... I just ping out.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:19:02 am »
Thanks for the response, l3, so many paths to follow-

OK, so it sounds as if the install was more or less complete but just not rebooting. I did hard-power it down and then start up again but assumed the install hadn't completed so didn't expect much. Definitely didn't go to AVWizard but I can't quite remember what happened.

What I have done in the meantime is internet install from a base kubuntu 10.04 and the restart happened and I'm at the "Failed to setup X" screen. Yay, familiar territory ;-)

So I think what I'll do at this stage is go and dig through that ATI testing thread of yours and see if I can pick up some suggestions to resolve this one and at the same time will try to gather some more detail on my hardware for you.

P.S. - where is the install log if I should go the DVD route again?

I may also set to downloading the latest snapshot just to keep the ADSL line busy....

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:26:59 am »
Thanks for the response, l3, so many paths to follow-

OK, so it sounds as if the install was more or less complete but just not rebooting. I did hard-power it down and then start up again but assumed the install hadn't completed so didn't expect much. Definitely didn't go to AVWizard but I can't quite remember what happened.

What I have done in the meantime is internet install from a base kubuntu 10.04 and the restart happened and I'm at the "Failed to setup X" screen. Yay, familiar territory ;-)

So I think what I'll do at this stage is go and dig through that ATI testing thread of yours and see if I can pick up some suggestions to resolve this one and at the same time will try to gather some more detail on my hardware for you.

P.S. - where is the install log if I should go the DVD route again?

I may also set to downloading the latest snapshot just to keep the ADSL line busy....

Try LMCE-1004-201203310416.iso, I had succes on VM (not updated wiki yet)
or try the latest, but that is unexplored territory.

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:46:56 am »
Ta, I'm busy downloading. Remember we have 3rd world line speeds here...

Anyway, here's what's on lspci for l3mce to dig through. Is there another way to get hardware specs that would be more useful?
Code: [Select]
0:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:0100] (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0102] (rev 09)
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Cougar Point HECI Controller #1 [8086:1c3a] (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Cougar Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1c2d] (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Cougar Point High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Cougar Point PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:1c10] (rev b5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Cougar Point PCI Express Root Port 2 [8086:1c12] (rev b5)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Cougar Point PCI Express Root Port 3 [8086:1c14] (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Cougar Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1c26] (rev 05)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:1c5c] (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Cougar Point 6 port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:1c02] (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Cougar Point SMBus Controller [8086:1c22] (rev 05)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)
03:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. Device [1283:8893] (rev 30)
04:01.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet [10ec:8169] (rev 10)

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 11:02:27 am »
So there're two issues - the failed to setup X thing, which I will deal with in another thread and the hanging after initrd which can carry on here. Currently waiting for bongo's recommended snapshot to download...

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:44:31 am »
OK, snapshot 201203310416 did not work for me -

Tried both the hybrid and the headless install from the menu and get the same for both. Summary:

Install went normally up to reboot required. I was away from the machine but at the point where it was required (I assume) all I saw was a black screen with an orange stripe in the middle (dvd drive had auto-ejected). I assumed (from previous discussion) this was the reboot point so I pressed enter and, sure enough, reboot happened. So far so good.

Lots of activity on the screen during the next boot including a full screen of text which scrolls by really quickly. All seems to go ok and a message says the next screen I see should be AVWizard. System reboots again.

Then it all seems to do exactly the same thing and just keeps going in a circle - reboot and each time I see the "firstboot" script running?

Any ideas? Anyone else having same issue?

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 12:19:17 pm »
The initrd is the last thing that happens on that image. There is a log... It should have tried (and failed) to reboot after that, displaying (and hanging) on the shutdown bootsplash. Pressing enter should have competed the reboot.

Darn, I forgot to look at the log but I had another go on this 201203211118 dvd installer and same thing- last white message across splash screen is "initrd and vmlinuz fix" or something to that effect. DVD does not eject and pressing enter does not reboot. When I hit the reset button, it boots but fails on

Code: [Select]
[ OK ] * Starting upnp media server and mediatomb
         rm: cannot remove '/dev/nbd*': no such file or directory

As shown in attachment.

Going back to internet install unless there is another promising snapshot available.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 03:34:27 pm »
Your firstboot file didn't run...

You can switch tty or ssh in and sudo /usr/pluto/bin/firstboot

It may resolve that. The initrd thing takes several minutes. First it creates a new one, then it changes the bootsplash and updates it. However it sounds like something else hung. I will see if I can convince the big man to apply my last round of little changes and get fluffy grinding again shortly. I will let you know when there is a new snap and what number it is.
I never quit... I just ping out.