Author Topic: MythTV w/ HDHomerun on 1004 TV issue & mv4 support  (Read 232284 times)

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV w/ HDHomerun on 1004 TV issue & mv4 support
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 10:34:54 pm »
Question:
Does anyone know how to add mv4 codec support to the playback engine, or am I going to have to transcode any mv4 files to avi files???

Do you mean .m4v files?

A simple google search returns numerous suggestions that xine should play these files, but that if you have trouble you could try renaming the file to .mp4. 

Linuxmce uses xine-lib for video playback, all (almost) video playback functionality is provided by the xine library.  All codecs that xine supports linuxmce supports.  Xine is in constant development and Linuxmce is not always very up to date with current xine releases.

J.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 11:11:09 pm »
So there are no differences between the container file types, one to the other???
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 02:28:45 am »
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=m4v+vs+mp4

The information I suggested was the information that others had been providing in various google searches I had done.  Try it and see if it works for you.  That is all I am suggesting.  Search and investigate a little.

;)

J.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 03:35:21 pm »
OK,... a quick click on that search link brought up some AppleTV forums where someone explained that they (m4v, m4a, etc) are all varieties of the mp4 container type (with slight differences that would mostly affect AppleTV). Thanks for the suggestion. That will save me a lot of work...

See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 08:35:22 pm »
OK,... a quick click on that search link brought up some AppleTV forums where someone explained that they (m4v, m4a, etc) are all varieties of the mp4 container type (with slight differences that would mostly affect AppleTV). Thanks for the suggestion. That will save me a lot of work...

I've been away for a while so just noticed your post.  You're welcome.  I hope it works out for you!

J.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 01:38:31 am »
Partially only... it's a hit and miss whether just changing the extension will get the file working... But it DOES show up on the lists...