Author Topic: Myth, VDR, or no TV at all...  (Read 9644 times)

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
Myth, VDR, or no TV at all...
« on: March 23, 2012, 06:24:57 pm »
With the discussion about MythTV 0.25 and it's new services API, I'm curious as to how much each PVR back-end is used.  So, if you're presently using one of the 2 PVR back-ends that are supported in LMCE (either in LMCE or separately), why don't you cast a vote and comment if you want.  Since we don't have a 'popularity contest' capability in LMCE, this could be interesting to see how many people use the TV functionality, and what are the levels of usage for each PVR backend.

Thanks!

/Mike

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Myth, VDR, or no TV at all...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:58:34 pm »
Kicking off the comments discussion, I'm using MythTV in my production set-up.  I'm still playing around with LMCE, so it's running in a separate test environment.  When I'm done testing, and I can sync up the various MythTV levels and do a database export from prod and import to LMCE, I'll flip over to LMCE as the prod environment.  Don't have a lot of free cycles right now with work being busy, family life, and a Z/OS course on the side, so I'm not sure when the cut-over will happen.

My Master back-end is running MythTV 0.24.2, and has two PVR-1600 cards in it.  The analog inputs are connected to the CATV line (we still have analog on CATV in Canada), and the two digital inputs are hooked to a home-made 4 bay bow-tie antenna, picking up the local ATSC channels.

I have a disk-less slave back-end/Front-end running MiniMyth, with two PVR-150's.  One is hooked to CATV, the other is hooked to the Rogers STB.  I have three other MiniMyth disk-less front-ends running.

I'm excited about the release of 0.25, as I see the services API as a stable means to accomplish remote control of Myth.  0.24 came out with 'events', which 0.25 is extending on, which could be great integration points into LMCE DCE events.  0.25 also has AirPlay/AirVideo support baked in, the new OSD message class (send CID events discreetly while watching media), plus a whole lot of other bells and whistles.

Have a good one!

/Mike
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:54:41 pm by mkbrown69 »

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:37:03 pm »
VDR running with 2x Dual-DVB-S2 cards looking at Astra 19.2, and 1x DVB-S card looking at Astra 28.x

daballiemo

• Guru
  • Full Blown Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 07:52:55 pm »
MythTV with 4 networkrecorders IPTV based
HP N40L12.04 KVM with virt LCME8.10/10.04
MD: FoxConn NetBox 330I - Samsung LE 26 (1360* 768)
MD: M2NPV-VM dual core AMD 64/3800/2Gb/NV6150 - Samsung UE 55 C8700 (full hd, 3d)
MD: FoxConn NetBox 330I - LG 32ld350

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:31:32 pm »
MythTV with a ceton 4 tuner cable card.

I would like to see us get to the point where the front end UI is all LMCE and the backend simply serves, livetv stream, guide data to the frontend. This would allow the PVR platform of your choice. I think MythTV's .25 heads in this direction. As I understand, VDR is headless system.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:46:19 pm by kyfalcon »

pointman87

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 08:55:08 pm »
VDR with 2 hauppauge nova HD-S2 sat cards. diseqc switches and quadoutput-LNBs on thor 0,8W and Sirius 4,8E
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:57:45 pm by pointman87 »

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 08:58:45 am »
Mythtv all day every day with a 35 dollar windows mce pcie pvr, and a hdhomerun for other md's and record. I actually get better performance out of the crap card.
I never quit... I just ping out.

Randall

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 03:21:18 pm »
Myth TV with a 3-channel hdhomerun. Inputs (480/720/1020) from an OTA signal.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:25:03 pm by Randall »

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:28:37 pm »
Mythtv with HDPVR bringing in DirecTV (soon to be dropped), WinTV-HD-S2 connected to MiniBud C/Ku motorized dish, and a HD-5500 bringing in OTA.

Dennis

essem_9

• Regular Poster
  • Fascinated by LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 05:21:09 pm »
I was using a Mythubuntu box for a couple of years. Re-imaged the box with LinuxMCE. Currently use MythTV with Hauppauge HVR-1600 connected to the analog comcast STB

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »
After years of running MythTV, for this next installation I will be relying entirely on AV switching of the Motorola cable box.

I am interested in VDR, for sure, but it will need an unknown amount of work to get it working in the US market.

My faith in MythTV has declined exponentially, with each release of the software, between the idiotic backend protocol changes (some deliberately done to make it HARDER for systems like ours to talk to MythTV), and the ever increasing instability between badly written VDPAU code, or the fact that MythTV is slow all across the board, I'm done with MythTV. Either I will be retrofitting VDR with features we need, or a new PVR will be written from scratch.

-Thom

mhorst

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 09:28:14 pm »
MythTV with a Hauppauge PVR-500

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »
After years of running MythTV, for this next installation I will be relying entirely on AV switching of the Motorola cable box.

I am interested in VDR, for sure, but it will need an unknown amount of work to get it working in the US market.

My faith in MythTV has declined exponentially, with each release of the software, between the idiotic backend protocol changes (some deliberately done to make it HARDER for systems like ours to talk to MythTV), and the ever increasing instability between badly written VDPAU code, or the fact that MythTV is slow all across the board, I'm done with MythTV. Either I will be retrofitting VDR with features we need, or a new PVR will be written from scratch.

-Thom

Thom who is your new cable provider in Dallas?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 09:36:53 pm »
most likely Time-Warner, aka SATAN.

-Thom

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 09:58:47 pm »
None of the Above. I use Direct AV switching unless specificlly asked by someone from linuxmce to start mythtv. its removed from my scenarios. i would remove it from the system if i could....

-golgoj4
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.