Author Topic: Diskless MD Install on ZOTAC ZBOX Intel Atom D525 @ 0810 problem  (Read 3980 times)

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Dear All,

Just to share a little bit of what is going on and to understand better LMCE.  I had successfully install LMCE on a ZOTAC MAG as an MD.  Works perfect if you get VDPAU working.  This time I wanted to setup another MD but this time it is a ZBOX with more cpu juice!

The problem I'm getting is that I don't get to the av wizard due to some issue with the nvidia driver but I could not see it, it continues scrolling during boot and gets locked under samba service started.  It is not really locked, if I press enter, it goes to the login.  Then here comes the interesting part.  When logged as linuxmce I can't do anything.  If I do whoami, it says I'm sambahelper and I don't know the passwd for it.  I´m unable to install anything because linuxmce does not have the rights.  If I do sudo, it asks for the sambahelper passwd.  WHO IS SAMBAHELPER!, is not helping at all.  I can start the xserver but can't do anything because of the rights of linuxmce user.  Any hints?.  Does root has a password? or Sambahelper?.  Where can I get the boot log to see why it failed to install the nvidia drivers?

Cheers,
TP

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: Diskless MD Install on ZOTAC ZBOX Intel Atom D525 @ 0810 problem
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 04:01:30 pm »
 :)
You should manage your connections at the core level.

Code: [Select]
sudo -i
Then as root user ssh to the MD. 1st find the MD number, either via webadmin or look in /usr/pluto/diskless. After you have it, and we will use 100 as a random number:

Code: [Select]
ssh moon100
From there you should already be connected as user root, and you can continue from here.

A good place to read:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Logging_In

Best Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 02:25:50 am »
Thanks Seth!!!!.  I was able to login.  It was a repositories issue.  I updated and update/ upgrade without problems.  Now the issue is that once it reboots, I get no error but I can only see black screen with the cursor, I can move it but there is nothing to do.  Maybe trying to run the installation scripts could solve this.   Thanks again, the link was perfect!

kyfalcon

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 05:47:00 pm »
I have 4 zboxes as MD's and they all work fine. My suggestion is from the Web Admin go to the Media Director and do a rebuild image. You may also from the core do a apt-update/upgrade and rerun the TBZ_CreateDiskless script again.

I would also think about switching to 10.04 my understanding is even though 8.10 has been moved to production most new work is being done with 10.04.

Kevin

tompin2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 03:33:35 am »
Thanks Kyfalcon,

I would 1004 a try but is there a painless migration?....  I guess that's a self answer question, I can already hear all the forum saying...... "There is no Painless action within LMCE and Linux!!!!". 
If I go 1004, do I have to setup all from scratch? Will I loose all my media?

Cheers,

Tomás

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:55:20 am »
It depends on which media you are referring and where your media is stored.

Mythtv recordings can be preserved, but it is a huge pain, and I typically do not bother.

Video media depends on where you have put it. If it is on the same drive as your core install... then you will need to move it off, and move it back. If your media is on a network drive, you won't need to do anything. The new install will pick up and go.

You might try the new dvd version... but it is experimental. The newest version is untested, but should it work, should be better than the earlier versions. People have had good success with the version tested in the wiki.
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Snapshot_overview
I never quit... I just ping out.