Author Topic: Wii Remote Support  (Read 32099 times)

Someguynamedjoe

• First post!
    • View Profile
Wii Remote Support
« on: March 23, 2007, 06:53:36 pm »
Given the rapidly increasing user base of the Wii, the motion sensors and overal good design of the Wii Remote, and its demonstrated tweakability, I can't imagine it would fail to become the de-facto standard control for LinuxMCE as soon as it can be supported.

arbrandes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Remote Support
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 07:48:34 pm »
I believe you could make this work without any official support from the LinuxMCE project, since the available Linux drivers make the Wiimote work as a standard mouse (as far as I know).

DrErling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 02:48:12 am »
Since the Wii handcontroller is cheaper than the gyro-mouse featured in the youtube "LinuxMCE vs MSMCE" videos, this is a brilliant idea!

I'm a complete newbie to linux and this ubuntu 6.10+LinuxMCE is my first installation ever, so a wii-remote how-to would be much appreciated!

DrErling
Linux newbie

robertsaron

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 07:03:30 pm »
There are wii remote Bluetooth drivers for linux. all you need is a Bluetooth adapter, you can pick one up off of new egg for 5$. then do a google search like I did for BT drivers for the wii remote. there is a site dedicated to these drivers. I have yet to install the drivers and test them, so I do not know how well work, according to the messageboards, there has been quite a lot of success for windows, OSX.

Hugolp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 12:45:27 am »
Yes, I agree with you all about the wiimote. Actually tomorrow I am going to buy one to get it working with my linux machine. Ill post about it.

Hugo

sandos

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 02:25:03 pm »
A little note of warning: the IR in the wiimote seems to still not be supported in linux, and they are the ones who would allow for accurate pointing on the screen.

Highlander

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 01:04:53 pm »
A little note of warning: the IR in the wiimote seems to still not be supported in linux, and they are the ones who would allow for accurate pointing on the screen.

But the Wiimote doesn't have any "IR sending" capabilities, it has a digital IR camera for tracking the LED's on sensor bar, and the tracking is supported in cwiid linux driver.

You only have to build a sensor bar, i made mine from 6 IR LED's powered from USB to see if it works, and it works like a charm.

sandos

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 01:47:16 pm »

But the Wiimote doesn't have any "IR sending" capabilities, it has a digital IR camera for tracking the LED's on sensor bar, and the tracking is supported in cwiid linux driver.

You only have to build a sensor bar, i made mine from 6 IR LED's powered from USB to see if it works, and it works like a charm.

Ok, cool, the page I found on the wiimote said the ir tracking was still not supported.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 01:32:56 am »
Highlander,

Have you got it working with linuxMCE or just under linux?

It would be great if you could put a howTo together.

Regards
Darren

robertsaron

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 11:21:44 pm »
all the sensor bar does from what I have been told is for reporting the wii remote location. Which is why on the Wii, you set it to be below or above the TV. you can actually use candles as an IR, I saw the video on you tube or engadget. everything else is done by Bluetooth. The wii remote is nintendo's best controller yet, and the best controller on the market.

sp00nhead

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 10:30:54 pm »
Theres a guide here
http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wiimote_linux_tutorial
I've just set up my machine, need to get a bluetooth adapter and should be getting a wii this weekend:)

i'll keep you posted

Naitsirk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 08:54:29 am »
Hallois

Any update on the wiimote project?

sp00nhead

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 06:11:05 pm »
Update
Used the guide to get working fine on my ubuntu laptop.
Just need to load it up on my lmce machine. once i've done that i'll post some details on the wiki.
Also might need to mod the Gyro mouse plug in so the wii remotes buttons map to the correct buttons.

just got a old squeeze box of ebay to get up first

Naitsirk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 01:35:35 am »
Alright, good news :)

Looking forward to your wiki update, please post a short message here as well to notify us that it's been updated ;)

Cheers!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 06:20:06 am »
Well I got one today, and yes it not only works but is completely awesome as well.

I just followed sp00nhead's link: http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wiimote_linux_tutorial with some aditional instructions here: http://www.wiili.org/index.php/WMD#Ubuntu and I had to apt-get the following to build the prerequisites (you might need more): libxosd-dev xosd-bin bluez-hcidump autoconf  automake python-xlib python-pygame also modifying the /etc/X11/xorg.conf is tricky as it seems to get overwritten a lot.

Seems to me there are only 2 things that need to be done to support the Wiimote plug and play:
1. Make debian packages out of the needed software (as far as that hasn't been done already).
2. Configure LMCE to recognize and configure it automaticly (already shows up, but as mobile phone).

I think I could manage the first, but I will need help with the second one from a more experienced veteran.  Would be really nice to just turn it on and select "Use this device as Wiimote" (or maybe something more general) and then light a few candles since you don't have a led-bar yet either.  ;)

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous