Author Topic: VIDEO CARDS: ATI, Intel, VIA... whatever you got...  (Read 29446 times)

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: VIDEO CARDS: ATI, Intel, VIA... whatever you got...
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2012, 06:23:25 pm »
have grabbed your file... will test it on next reboot sometime later today.

Thanks

Dennis

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2012, 07:41:51 pm »
I want to help test.  I already have a working MD, plus one new MD waiting to be deployed (bedroom wiring not yet ready).

If I run Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh again, I have to delete the working MD in order to test it, correct?

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2012, 08:53:34 pm »
actually.. if you rebuild the TBZ image, then for a fresh MD from that.. you can rebuild the image from the web admin page (media directors).  then on boot of the MD, it will re-build everything based on settings already in the database for that MD. (at least that is what I have observed)

Dennis

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2012, 09:18:51 pm »
I want to help test.  I already have a working MD, plus one new MD waiting to be deployed (bedroom wiring not yet ready).

If I run Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh again, I have to delete the working MD in order to test it, correct?

Well... you will have to update pluto-boot-scripts and pluto-avwizard, first of all. Then you can run Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh, You can do this simply by:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pluto-avwizard pluto-boot-scripts
sudo /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh

Your old MD is fine as it is. That data is already configured. It MAY take you through AVWizard the next time it reboots. Your new MD will use the new code. You are not likely to notice any difference really unless this MD is an ATI, Intel, or VIA video chipset. However should it break something that currently works, that is equally useful.

So please list what the hardware is, and how it reacts. Thanks.
I never quit... I just ping out.

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2012, 03:48:26 am »
Well... you will have to update pluto-boot-scripts and pluto-avwizard, first of all.

Already ran an update a couple of days ago - I'm set.

Then you can run Diskless_CreateTBZ.sh

Did that earlier today.

Your old MD is fine as it is. That data is already configured. It MAY take you through AVWizard the next time it reboots.

Ok.

Your new MD will use the new code. You are not likely to notice any difference really unless this MD is an ATI, Intel, or VIA video chipset. However should it break something that currently works, that is equally useful.

Understood - will do.

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2012, 02:36:10 pm »
l3mce,
grabbed your file and substituded it for existing Utils.sh    System detected and set up correct driver, however I had something else wrong as the avwizard failed to run even if forced.

I downloaded the lasted (recommended) dvd image and re-installed... then substituted your Utils.sh  ... AVWizard ran correctly (however it runs twice back-to-back for some reason), then the system finished installing.

Thanks

Dennis

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2012, 05:25:29 pm »
Yes... the back to back avwizard thing is driving me ape. I have got to figure out why that is happening. Thank you for testing.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2012, 07:26:42 pm »
Is this back to back thing the same thing as the setup wizard restarting while creating and renaming rooms???

I've noticed the setup does that. Annoying, but not a show stopper. It almost seems like processes are timing out, and kicking it back to the beginning.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2012, 07:38:36 pm »
JaseP,
 No.. this is on bootup when the system has detected your video card and runs the AVWizard (video port/resolution/sound) before the setup wizard even runs (Sarah).

Dennis

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2012, 06:24:44 pm »

I deleted my running MD - it was acting weird.   Plus, it gave me the opportunity to properly test the new video card detection.

My Jetway ran through the setup and although the video part worked (just as before), the HDMI audio wasn't setup correctly (just as before).  I'll have  to use my "hdmi how to" get the audio working for my particular MD.

My MD is off at the moment, so I can't give the lspci output right now.  I'll post again later today with the info you requested.

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2012, 08:16:16 pm »
Hold off for a min.

I am changing a LOT of things.

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2012, 11:03:52 pm »
Hold off for a min.

I am changing a LOT of things.

I already got the audio working manually.  But, I can delete the MD and go through the entire process again, no problem.  Just let me know when I can pull down updates on the core and restart the MD build.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2012, 09:07:18 am »
Wanted to add a couple of working cards:

XFX GeForce 7600GT PCIe x16
Works with everything I have thrown at it UI2, alpha blending no problem
Works now in 8.10 and 10.04 out of the box.
256MB DDR3, SLI available if you're that brave
PCIe slot
Was extremely cheap 4 years ago so probably available as wholesale lots now...
Able to support twin x screens with small tweeks to xorg.conf.  Used as a media director in the living room or the bedroom.
  - Display is mirrored to both DVI outputs so one DVI out to bedroom 23" monitor, one DVI out to DVI-to-HDMI cable connected to 60" Sharp Plasma
  - Doing 1080p to both displays though the monitor DVI port is connected to DVI-to-VGA adapter to make it through my VGA KVM switch.

Nvidia GeForce 6600 AGP x8
1 VGA, 1 DVI (I think there was an S-video)
AGP slot, 256MB
Worked with Medium settings in 1004
Installed on loan from roommate to test a troublesome Media Director = Didn't get to play much
Failed to setup X on first MD boot.  I ssh'ed in and poked my nose around without altering anything.  Did a standard reboot and it booted back up to av wizard.
Large card for a MD and required a molex power connector.

Still to test
An older 128MB Radeon AGP
The always lovely Intel 82845G (onboard)
Homemade AGP riser for htpc cases or crazy case mods I like to mess with
USB video - I am getting one of these with hopes of adding new options for MDs, will stick it in a laptop if it fails horribly

I made a wiki!  Click here to check out my system.

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 02:42:00 pm »
ATI Radeon 9200 SE
128MB, AGP card, fanless model and fairly low profile
Working in 1004
First attempt (just to beat it up a little) 1080p with UI2 openGL alpha blending
Booted, Made it to onscreen orbiter with a little chop.  crashes when trying to open screens - though flicker images continue to move
ssh to force reboot to avwizard with
/usr/pluto/bin/RebootWithAVWizard.sh
Redid AV wizard with VGA 720 @ 60Htz - UI2 medium
working smoothly

Driver info - for L3mce if he wants it
lspci | grep VGA
# 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV280 [Radeon 9200 SE] (rev 01)

Armor Gnome

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2012, 05:33:04 am »
Another successful card.  This was onboard equipment for a couple year old eMachine. 128MB dedicated video memory.

00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2)

Running VGA 1920 X 1080 60Hz, UI2 (medium) with slight chop currently.  720 I am sure will produce much smoother operation and I will post results if I still have problems smoothing it out.