Author Topic: MythTV .25 and the New MythTV Services API = Greater Stability for LMCE ?  (Read 26605 times)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Is VDR already distributed? )

We utilize it in a distributed manor, using streamdev and remotetimer.

jester

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Just dropping in and got no clue if it's useful as a solution (better reviewed as not useful than undiscovered great potential): https://www.lonelycoder.com/
Please ignore if misplaced.

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
I would think that Myth 0.25 is going to be a huge improvement over 0.23 in terms of integration.  It really looks like the Myth devs have put some thought into how it integrates into other things.  The services API exposes a lot of the set-up and operational aspects of MythTV to external control, which in theory could be put into the LMCE Myth plugin.  Similarly, the Myth System Events could be used to send DCE messages to indicate to the DCErouter (and the rest of the LMCE system) what Myth is doing.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Services_API

The Capture service is a series of APIs related to the capturing of recorded content. It includes methods of settings up capture devices, card inputs, and may also be expanded in the future to more directly control those interfaces.

The Channel service is a collection of methods for editing channels, adding channels, deleting channels, and modifying lineups and XMLTV services.

The Content services provides a means of serving video, music, and image content from your MythTV system's collection. Images can be dynamically scaled and served by the backend according to your request.

The DVR service allows the programmer to interface with recorded metadata in a variety of ways.

The Frontend service is actually run on Frontend systems (default port: 6547) and allows query of location, playback status, sending remote control messages, and sending popup messages, among other tasks.

The Guide service is a group of methods for accessing the program guide information for use in scheduling, and guide grid applications.

The Myth service is dedicated to MythTV specific settings, and is a series of utility APIs for influencing the way MythTV works on a low level including Storage Group configuration, settings modification and query, hardware profiling, and database backup and repair.

The Video service is used to query and modify video metadata, look up metadata, add new videos to the library, and other video-library-specific functionality.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_System_Events

* Recording pending
    * Recording started
    * Recording finished
    * Recording deleted
    * Recording expired
    * LiveTV started
    * Playback started
    * Playback stopped
    * Playback paused
    * Playback unpaused
    * Playback program changed
    * Master backend started
    * Master backend shutdown
    * Client connected to master backend
    * Client disconnected from master backend
    * Slave backend connected to master
    * Slave backend disconnected from master
    * Network Control client connected
    * Network Control client disconnected
    * mythfilldatabase ran
    * Scheduler ran
    * Settings cache cleared

I've un-installed the MythTV plugins from my test LMCE system, and am looking at getting Myth 0.25 running and stable from the infrastructure point of view on my 10.04 LMCE test system.  I'm a SysAdmin, not a programmer, so the LMCE Plugins are beyond my ability and available time for the foreseeable future.  If a real programmer wants to take a crack at the plugins, I'm more than willing to help at the infrastructure layer and with testing  (although it'll have to be in a couple of weeks; my z/OS final exams are coming up soon!).

BTW, 12.04 will bring other complexities with it due to the re-basing of the kernel, drivers and utilities, and user-land, so it may be better to make the new Myth (and other major infrastructure changes like qOrbiter) work on 10.04 first, and then port forward to 12.04.

Hope that helps!

/Mike

The most popular vote among the devs is to dump myth altogether either by adapting VDR or building our own TV player from scratch. The direction myth is going is making it harder, not easier, for us to control it, because it is trying to control everything.

I personally have not had the issues a lot of people groan about, but then I only use it for OTA, for which it has served my purposes well, save the heaps of lag performing any function (turning on, changing channels, etc). Possy has said that .25 will not be integrated into 1004, and I am not sure further discussion is warranted. I understand that reading the box makes it seem more suited to our purposes, but those who know and wrote the current integration say otherwise. Thom has washed his hands of it, and possy has said no. Unless super magic dev who knows our architecture and myths new APIs comes in and uses voodoo power to make everything gravy, I don't think anyones mind is going to change.
I never quit... I just ping out.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Unless super magic dev who knows our architecture and 
uses voodoo power to make everything gravy

You can just refer to golgoj4 by his name, you know.

bugui

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hello Guys,
I would like to continue to have the possibility to use Mythtv or VDR, because there is a lot of countries (ej.Argentina where I came from) that still uses analog tv signal, and PAL will keep with us for at least the next 9 years.

Also, Brasil, Chile, PerĂº, Argentina, Uruguay, Venezuela, are moving to ISDB-T as digital transmition. I have LMCE 1004 runing with a USB isdb-t tuner dongle and is working with mythtv, but not works on VDR.
Mythtv 0.25 supports HE-AAC LATAM audio (that is used in Latin America), and I tested and it works perfect, I read that VDR couldn't decode this codec, I couldn't make it work with isdb-t.

Thanks all

Hernan

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
bugui,

nobody said, that we will remove mythtv from 1004. What *I* do say is, 1004 won't have MythTV .25 integrated ootb. At least, that's how it looks atm.

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV .25 and the New MythTV Services API = Greater Stability for LMCE ?
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 02:44:34 am »
Hi,

Also, Brasil, Chile, PerĂº, Argentina, Uruguay, Venezuela, are moving to ISDB-T as digital transmition. I have LMCE 1004 runing with a USB isdb-t tuner dongle and is working with mythtv, but not works on VDR.
Mythtv 0.25 supports HE-AAC LATAM audio (that is used in Latin America), and I tested and it works perfect, I read that VDR couldn't decode this codec, I couldn't make it work with isdb-t.

which isdb-t usb dongle are you using with mythtv? and how did you make it work under lmce?

TIA,

Paulo