Author Topic: Problems setting up mythtv with Nova Hd S2  (Read 2256 times)

nivag12

• View Profile
Problems setting up mythtv with Nova Hd S2
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:50:45 am »
Firstly let me thank you guys for this excellent software which i have been happily using for a couple of years now as a media server & whole house media system.

I had recently decided to extend its use and explore the other features in the system. I have successfully installed some ip cameras & web Cams as well as a basic z-wave integration. All of which has gone smoothly and has been relatively painless.

Now to get to the particular problem that I am facing. I have decided to look into the TV system and decided on the use of Mythtv as i have a couple of other systems using other media systems which can act as myth frontends.

I took my Nova HD S2 card and installed in the core. It was recognised straight away but when i go into myth setup i am having trouble scanning for channels. I have read the wiki and other usual sources but i am getting lost as i have absolutely zero mythtv experience. My questions are as follows.

1. is Nova card plug & play in LMCE 10.04
2. Do i need to update the drivers as per the wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Hauppauge_Nova-HD-S2
3. If i do apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree is this all that is required as per this post on the forum http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,11988.msg85335.html#msg85335

Please help as i do not want to break my working install by doing something that is not required.

many thanks in advance for all advice

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Problems setting up mythtv with Nova Hd S2
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:49:20 am »
I have the same card.. it works with Mythtv.. yes you only need get the firmware and verify in logs that the firmware is loaded...

Have you set up a DVB-S card before?

Did you set up the 'lnb' in the DiSEqC section?   And when you are searching for channels, are you entering the transponder and SR information then searching?

And hopefully your dish is actually locked onto a satellite!!!

hope this helps...
Dennis

nivag12

• View Profile
Re: Problems setting up mythtv with Nova Hd S2
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:44:02 pm »
Dennis

Many thanks for the fast response and advice.

I will install drivers as suggested. I have played around in Mythtv with DVB-s before so I am aware of the LNB etc. So I will give this a whirl and hopefully it will be successful. I will let you know.

Thanks again

Gavin