Author Topic: How to debug message-sending to the GC100? [SOLVED]  (Read 552 times)

Domodude

How to debug message-sending to the GC100? [SOLVED]
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:58:00 pm »
Hi all,
As can be read in http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,12416.0.html, I now know that the chain GC100-Cable-Amplifier works fine with RS232 signalling. But how do I debug the process of having the GC100 send messages? I can get an easy reponse from my amp if I send this:

"PWR1<lf>"

My com port, I think, is on /dev/ttyS_56_0. Baud rate is 38k4.
Shouldn't the /usr/pluto/bin/TestSerialPort be used to get this signal to the amp, then?

Code: [Select]
/usr/pluto/bin/TestSerialPort  -p /dev/ttyS_56_0 -b 38400 -t '\70\77\72\31\0A'
Once this works, I can try more advanced methods of message sending, but even this does... zilch.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Mark
 :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:09:31 pm by Domodude »

Domodude

Re: How to debug message-sending to the GC100?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:49:22 am »
Anyone familiar with TestSerialPort: does the format and the number of arguments look ok? Because if it does, the conclusion must be that something is wrong with my tty...
(If I am correct, N81 is the default)

Domodude

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:29:23 pm »
Just found out that with a sudo screen /dev/ttyS_56_0 38400  I can open a terminal using the specified tty, so I can check if commands reach the device. It works 8). So, I now have a working chain from messaging to /dev/ttyS_56_0, to the GC100, through the RS-232 cable, to the amplifier. Next step: make sure that messages get sent to the right COM from Dianemo / LMCE.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:18:40 am by Domodude »

Domodude

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:54:30 pm »
OK last hurdle is also taken.
I'll post some info on the ruby commands later, but I used info from the wiki, written for an LG tv set.
Also, to test the serial port you should be ROOT! Doh.

Domodude

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:29:15 am »
Soo... Quick and dirty summary of my battle to get RS232 working with my Arcam amp.

• Connect hardware, i.e. GC100 and serial cable, and configure GC100 as per wiki. Test by accessing the GC100 web page, also check serial settings like baud rate. Confirm registration with the LinuxMCE system in the advanced settings of the device. The serial device on the CORE is called /dev/ttyS_<Number>_0, I assume the device number plus underscore plus 0 for serial port 1, 1 for port 2 etc...
  • Use software to directly access the GC100, from any computer in the network. Send command to the amp to see if cable and RS232 hardware in the device are working. See http://www.rmartijnr.eu/iTest/index.html  for a utility running on Mac OSX, but Global Cache has windows utils, too.
  • Use the screen command from the CORE command line to confirm that the serial port is correct and that commands can be sent to the GC100 and from there to the amp. Do this as root!
  • Use /usr/pluto/bin/TestSerialPort to confirm that messaging from LinuxMCE to the GC100 works. Do this as root!
  • Enter commands through the device interface, I think "advanced", then "edit template" then "edit Ruby codes". You may have to add the commands you wish to send. An example command that works for me is:
  • <$"POW1\r"$>       <---- No backslashes before the " and \ characters!
  • Use sendmessage to test actual, "official" messaging. You will need to know the number of a command to use this command, so enter a few commands first (see the above point). Do sendmessage as root!

Hope this will help someone.
Mark
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:13:05 pm by Domodude »