Author Topic: Full Metadata in the 1004 repository...  (Read 6303 times)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
Full Metadata in the 1004 repository...
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:58:12 pm »
It would be nice to have full metadata in the LinuxMCE repository. I had installed LMCE 1004 and the synaptic package manager (I hate KDE's package manager) and noticed that the LinuxMCE packages contain no descriptions... It would be nice to have this info fleshed out so that people could tell which packages do what jobs... It would make fixing things and installing new functionality a tad easier.

Just a suggestion...
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Full Metadata in the 1004 repository...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:05:57 pm »
Yes, sometimes it would be interesting to have the description filled out. However, LinuxMCE is meant to be used without the package manager, and be used via the setup wizard and the web admin. As a pure user I never ever needed to utilize synapse or anything else, with a LinuxMCE install.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:25:28 pm »
It gives the system more stability if the package data (including package conflicts, etc.) is fleshed out. Plus, it helps the users know what everything does, helps system admins fix broken things easier, and is just plain old better developer "best practices."

As I mentioned in another thead, I'm willing to help out by pulling off and editing the original package meta data from the standard Ubuntu repositories, and help build a conflicts database to ID packages that don't play nice with each other. But I don't code, and I'm probably not going to try rebuilding any packages, so it'll be up to the developers to make use of it.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:51:58 am »
It gives the system more stability if the package data (including package conflicts, etc.) is fleshed out. Plus, it helps the users know what everything does, helps system admins fix broken things easier, and is just plain old better developer "best practices."

As I mentioned in another thead, I'm willing to help out by pulling off and editing the original package meta data from the standard Ubuntu repositories, and help build a conflicts database to ID packages that don't play nice with each other. But I don't code, and I'm probably not going to try rebuilding any packages, so it'll be up to the developers to make use of it.

Im guessing, you have not even looked into doing this. Please define the word 'willing' in your universe because from here, it looks like quite the opposite.
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:20:48 pm »
As I mentioned in another thead, I'm willing to help out by pulling off and editing the original package meta data from the standard Ubuntu repositories

There is no meta data about the lmce or pluto packages in any other place than the sqlCVS controlled database. What needs to happen is someone enhancing MakeRelease to grep the information that is in the database, and put it into the on the fly created control file for the Debian packages that are being created on the builders.

The source for MakeRelease can be found at http://svn.linuxmce.org/svn/branches/LinuxMCE-1004/src/MakeRelease

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:43:50 am »
Thanks,... I have a conference the first full week of March, with nothing to do most evenings without the family present.  I'll download what I can and see about starting to organize it...

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:30:56 pm »
Update: Had a crappy internet connection at the hotel where the conference was, and little down time,... So, I had to table working on this... I WILL get to it though, ... eventually.