Author Topic: Very high pings on internal network  (Read 4878 times)

jill

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Very high pings on internal network
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:14:47 pm »
tested internet direct from pc to modem and getting a ping of 16ms but when on the internal network all connected pc and MD have a ping of 900-1300 somtimes as little as 60 its random
even used my laptop outside the internal in sync to run a test to eliminate it being just my isp dowload and upload dont seem to be affected just very hi ping delays. tried swapping out the
net cards on the core. wasnt happing yesterday issue suddenly appeared last night.
where would i start to trouble shoot this issue?

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Very high pings on internal network
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:09:45 pm »
also check network cables and switches. check the performance between various devices on the network to look for patterns and find any common failure point.

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • JaseP's LinuxMCE Wiki User page
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:49 am »
Do you have Skype installed??? If so, uninstall it and reboot (switch to Google Voice instead). Skype will use your system as a supernode in Linux without any way to kill the process without rebooting. The only other way to prevent it is to put Skype behind a NAT. But there are some who claim that won't work either.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

jill

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:16:43 am »
 nope i dont have skype

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:21:59 am »
From a terminal, type: top

Top is a command line process monitoring app that can give you an idea of what is running on the system and what type of processor cycles, etc. that the running processes are using. It may give you an idea what the culprit is.

9 times out of 10, some process is running away with the machine. It may be that there is something buggy in your installation (or bugs introduced in a package that now has memory leaks, etc.), or that some process is running that you had no idea would be such a resource hog (or your setting have caused it to be such).

PS: you exit top with the Q key.
See my User page on the LinuxMCE Wiki for a description of my system configuration (click the little globe under my profile pic).

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 09:03:30 am »
Hi,

probably this is not the cause, but I remember that I had to change MTU on my network with similar symptoms..

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

jill

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:02:20 am »
 i think it may be my switch has started to malfunction took it out if the loop and used my old router without dhcp for now so not shure if it the switch atm or some devices that were not coperating together as i can only hook up half my setup atm untill the new switch arrives (no stores in my area carry anything bigger then a 5 port)

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 06:38:24 am »
You can chain 5-ports together,... actually most of them are 4 port with the 5th port being the switch-wired connection...

vangmartin

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 01:54:10 am »
I haven't tried google voice. Is it good?

JaseP

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 05:17:18 pm »
@vangmartin:

I, personally,  think so... It's SIP compatible and it doesn't turn your machine into a virtual switchboard for other people's calls like Skype does.