Author Topic: Would it be possible to...  (Read 5763 times)

General

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Would it be possible to...
« on: March 22, 2007, 06:35:30 pm »
If I installed Kubuntu Fiesty Fawn (the beta anyway) on a PC that has plenty of storage space and a GeForce 8800GTS. Would I be able to plug a monitor into the DVI port, and always have a normal KDM logon and KDE with my normal user account come up on that. But have at boot time a separate account log on automatically and display on the TV-Out port to my TV and have that act as a Hybrid server. So that theoretically, someone could operate the computer normally on the monitor (though the DVI port) with keyboard and mouse and the like, and someone else watch a recorded TV program on a TV connected to the TV-Out port?

asgard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Would it be possible to...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 03:41:57 am »
This wouldn't be a hard thing to implement but right now you'll need to get you hands dirty a little. Theoretically you'll need to run 2 x servers, what that is for LinuxMCE and uses the composite/svideo output from the video card and one x server running on the dvi connected display.

The linuxmce interface is using a different X11 server than the ubuntu/kubuntu display (btw never tested with kubuntu, you might need to install some dependecies for the installer before running it).

The configuration file for the LinuxMCE x11 is /etc/X11/xorg.conf.pluto and the one for your kde/gnome display should be /etc/X11/xorg.conf . So you'll need to tweak the xorg.conf.pluto one to only use the composite/s-video output. The bad part is that the xorg.conf.pluto file is regenerated from time to time so you'll need to hack into the scrips to make it permanent.

If you get it going you might write a wiki page about it :)

Good Luck

General

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 02:55:09 am »
Well, I actually haven't built this computer yet. But when I build it I'll set it up and, if I succeed, write a wiki page about it. Also, I wonder if I could enable the composite extensions on both x servers, so that I can have AIGLX or XGL on my monitor with beryl and the U2 interface on my TV...

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:54:49 am »
I only built packages for Ubuntu 6.10.  I don't think it will run on anything else without getting under the hood.

General

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 11:12:44 pm »
Well, I assume that by the time I finally get the hardware to do this on there will be some form of packages for Fiesty (If not, I guess I'm building from source). And Kubuntu is basically just Ubuntu minus Gnome. And if Linux MCE uses it's own window manager and such I don't think I'll have any problems. Plus apt can download any needed packages that are not in Kubuntu by default from the repos.

thynk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 08:55:16 pm »
I'm also curious what would happen if a Edgy 6.10 install was done, LMCE was put on top of it and then an upgrade to Fiesty 7.06 was done. Not that I've EVER had an upgrade go well from one distro to another, but it might be interesting to see what would happen :-)  Might be something I'll try on this box if this install didn't work out right :-)

Stu   

sandos

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 09:58:51 pm »
I have updated my Debian install over 3 or 4 major version, no big problems at all. Ubuntu should handle it aswell. Problem is likely with MCE, having dependencies on older version of packages? Just guessing.