Author Topic: How much HD space do I need for Core + MDs?  (Read 12561 times)

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How much HD space do I need for Core + MDs?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 09:54:59 pm »
Whilst the write times were very good, the read times were rubbish, or something like that? EDIT: Other way round I think.

SSD's destroy mechanical HDs in writing and reading.  Even in a LinuxMCE situation, I expect SSDs to trounce mechanical drives.

You have to be careful about which brand you go for.  For example, Intel drives are considered to be the most reliable, though not the fastest.

Cost is a factor too - a "normal" hard drive is so much cheaper, I've certainly never had a problem with them. I considered SSD for my carPC, but even then I decided to just go with a 2.5" laptop drive. The only reason I can see for getting an SSD is that you can shave a few seconds off the boot time, which isn't good value for money in my opinion.

Regular drives are still expensive.  Prices are down from what they were after the flooding in Thailand, but they're still not as low as they were before the disasters.  I'm not sure if I should just bite the bullet or wait a bit more.  I was going to purchase three 3TB HDs, then the prices went through the roof.  I'm still waiting for pricing to come down to $120 or lower.

FYI My core/hybrid + 3 MDs is 29 GB. I haven't finished adding all my rooms yet, so I definitely wouldn't go less than 80 GB.

Awesome, thanks dude.  80GB min for sure.  120GB for peace of mind.   :)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 06:44:28 am »
The latest SSDs no longer have a need for TRIM support. Google a bit, and you shall find out, that the firmware of the latest drives are good enough that TRIM is no longer an issue for SSDs.

toppot

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 09:57:09 am »
Your reply was useless, too.  Mocking inexperienced users has got to be the single best way to destroy the LinuxMCE community.  Keep it up and watch the damned project crash and burn because its users are all going to flock to XBMC, if they haven't already started to, if this type of shit keeps up.

Peace dude... and calm  8)

There's caring mocking and evil mocking - sometimes in writing telling the difference is impossible...
btw: users get attracted or is put off by a number of reasons, the tone on the main board is in my opinion actually quite important to keep people on board - we should be nice and polite - but at the same time there should be "rummelighed" (a danish word not easily translateable to any language, googles best shot is spaciousness - but it all about sentiment), thus leaving room for all kinds of behaviour/people:

1. Those that has poor language skills like myself.
2. Those taht spel por
2. Those that can't count.
3. Those that ask silly questions.
4. Those that gives silly answers.
5. Those that use sarcasm.
6. Those that are put off by sarcasm.
7. Those that needs to blow out steam.
8. Those that gives long boring answers to something that is water under the bridge, and do so in the shape of lists....

I hope you get my point - actually my own moral standard only allows me to mock those I believe to be strong/knowledgeable... Meaning it's a weird display of respect. But that's just me. There where, I am sure, no intent to put you down or annoy - just to also throw in a bit of relaxed comments. Posde does this from time to time :)

I hope you got the frustration out - and feel motivated to continue working with this "waste of time" and "butt f****** ugly" system  ;) I for one loves the challenge and the possibilities.

-Tony

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 10:05:52 am »
Peace dude... and calm  8)

There's caring mocking and evil mocking - sometimes in writing telling the difference is impossible...
btw: users get attracted or is put off by a number of reasons, the tone on the main board is in my opinion actually quite important to keep people on board - we should be nice and polite - but at the same time there should be "rummelighed" (a danish word not easily translateable to any language, googles best shot is spaciousness - but it all about sentiment), thus leaving room for all kinds of behaviour/people:

1. Those that has poor language skills like myself.
2. Those taht spel por
2. Those that can't count.
3. Those that ask silly questions.
4. Those that gives silly answers.
5. Those that use sarcasm.
6. Those that are put off by sarcasm.
7. Those that needs to blow out steam.
8. Those that gives long boring answers to something that is water under the bridge, and do so in the shape of lists....

I hope you get my point - actually my own moral standard only allows me to mock those I believe to be strong/knowledgeable... Meaning it's a weird display of respect. But that's just me. There where, I am sure, no intent to put you down or annoy - just to also throw in a bit of relaxed comments. Posde does this from time to time :)

I hope you got the frustration out - and feel motivated to continue working with this "waste of time" and "butt f****** ugly" system  ;) I for one loves the challenge and the possibilities.

-Tony

You just described me in 8 simple sentences, you stupid lego-eater.

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 02:50:44 pm »

Screw you, bongowongo!

:-*

toppot

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 05:52:45 pm »

Lego-eater... So strange what you associate a nationality with... Could have been H.C. Andersen (and the little Mermaid), Tivoli, B&O (which is a dinosaur productline/brand), Wind Power (which incidentally is my game - We are world leaders here), Carlsberg (also my game, in a different way), Bacon - or Lego... Funny thing is that I actually (through a shared interest in Arabian horses) knows some of the billionaire (not in play money....) Lego owning family.

Where are you from, rabbit-eater??  8)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 06:04:31 pm »
He is one of those people, who makes sure people can't drive fast on the German autobahn, annoys all sweet girls in the ski areas in the Alps, eats all the cheese, and sells drugs and flowers.

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 07:00:37 pm »
I am from the Netherlands, I eat Weed, I smoke Tulips, and plant Hookers in my garden. But do not step on my wooden shoes, because I will, dancing on Tiesto, throw cheese at you.

p.s.
Wind energy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De_Kameel.jpg
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:04:02 pm by bongowongo »

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 09:18:31 pm »
Peace dude... and calm  8)

I prefer to rage every now and then.  :P

In all seriousness, I understand what you're saying and I agree with you.  I'll temper my replies from now on.  Or, at least I'll try.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:08:51 pm by m3freak »

pointman87

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »
I am from the Netherlands, I eat Weed, I smoke Tulips, and plant Hookers in my garden. But do not step on my wooden shoes, because I will, dancing on Tiesto, throw cheese at you.

p.s.
Wind energy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De_Kameel.jpg

Lego-eater... So strange what you associate a nationality with... Could have been H.C. Andersen (and the little Mermaid), Tivoli, B&O (which is a dinosaur productline/brand), Wind Power (which incidentally is my game - We are world leaders here), Carlsberg (also my game, in a different way), Bacon - or Lego... Funny thing is that I actually (through a shared interest in Arabian horses) knows some of the billionaire (not in play money....) Lego owning family.

Where are you from, rabbit-eater??  8)

So in conclusion we know that non of you have a descent hockey-team then?  ;)

Gangsingen

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 09:25:01 pm »
Here is HD-guru Steve Gibsons take on SSD:s.

http://youtu.be/X7bK3_bWkp0?t=58m35s

Maybe something to consider? Love Security Now!

klovell

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 08:13:47 pm »
Ah crap.  I just noticed the kernel in 10.04 is 2.6.32-35.  There's no TRIM support in that version. TRIM hit mainline Linux in 2.6.33.  I guess I'll be using the SSD in my desktop!!!  

Thanks for posting. I meant to check this BEFORE getting the SSD, but I completely forgot.

If speed and reliability is what you're after a hardware raid 5 is a great solution.  Considering all the other tasks the core has to do I wouldn't go software raid unless you're using powerful/server grade hardware.  Leave managing the raid up to the raid controller.  For what you're willing to pay for a 80gb ssd, considering you're buying a quality ssd from a quality supplier, you can get a lower end raid controller and 3 small hard drives for maybe $100 more.  I havn't looked at ssd prices in a while but when I bought mine they were pretty expensive, and hard drive prices are on the rise.  I'm just giving you another option to look at.