Author Topic: How much HD space do I need for Core + MDs?  (Read 12560 times)

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
How much HD space do I need for Core + MDs?
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:51:59 pm »
I picked up an Intel 40GB SSD to use as the boot drive for my 10.04 Core.  At the moment I'm using an old 80GB IDE drive.  I want to make the drive swap because my testing of the Core is complete and since I'm mostly pleased with the results, I think it's time to move the OS bits to a better HD.

Before I rip open the box and install the SSD, I want to be sure the 40GB SSD is big enough.  My plans:

1. I'm going to have a separate md RAID 5 set (going to use an existing one from a Fedora 15 box) for media storage
2. Core + 2 MDs to start
3. Will add five more MDs down the road, maybe more

Can 40 GB accommodate that or should I get a bigger SSD?

JoakimL

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How much HD space do I need for Core + MDs?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:36:04 pm »
A clean Core install allocate 5-7 GB, but grows over time.
My Core + 1 MD takes 20 GB after running 6 months (no media files), so your 40 GBs is OK for you short term plans, but too small for the long term goals.

/Joakim

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:50:54 am »
A clean Core install allocate 5-7 GB, but grows over time.
My Core + 1 MD takes 20 GB after running 6 months (no media files), so your 40 GBs is OK for you short term plans, but too small for the long term goals.

Thanks for your experience.

I have to say 20GB for the CORE and 1 MD is pretty extreme.  You sure you haven't included some extraneous files in that total?

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:55:26 am »
BTW, clearing your apt cache will help get back some space.

So, does anyone else have any thoughts on this?  Is the 40GB drive too small for what I'm planning?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 04:26:00 pm »
A question gets asked. A detailed answer provided. Answer doesn't fit. Ask again. Interesting.

toppot

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »
A question gets asked. A detailed answer provided. Answer doesn't fit. Ask again. Interesting.

Ha Ha - good one.

I'd have to say I believe that 40Gb should suffice, granted you can live with purging caches and running out of space frequently... ::)

-Tony

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:59:14 pm »

Look, dude, I got one reply from a very helpful user for which I'm thankful.  But, it's just one reply.  Don't you think it's fucking reasonable for me to ask for more people's thoughts on this?  How the FUCK am I supposed to know if what joakimL said is actually fact?  Oh, I know!  Ask more people if they experienced the SAME FUCKING THING!  And, did I say the answer didn't fit? NO!  You did because you fucking ASSUMED that's what I was thinking.  THANKS!!!

I'm not a LinuxMCE expert.  I don't use Ubuntu - I'm a RHEL / CentOS / Fedora guy.  LinuxMCE is is all new to me.  Frankly, getting my damned hardware working (i.e. HDMI audio) has been THE SINGLE FUCKING BIGGEST WASTE OF MY TIME ever.  FUCK!

LinuxMCE is plug and play?  My ass it is!!  I finally pieced together information from all over the Internet, including the uber helpful XBMC forums and wiki, and got my Jetway minitop working with HDMI sound.  I was happy.  I was elated.  I managed to watch a couple of movies, and ignoring the fact LinxMCE's media interface is BUTT FUCKING UGLY, it worked.  I was looking forward to submitting a wiki article explained exactly how to get a Jetway minitop with an ION chipset working under LinuxMCE 10.04.   I was looking forward to making my LinuxMCE install permanent and finally moving on to the ZWave integration. That is, until you posted your bullshit here.  Your single post is the reason why LMCE is floundering while XBMC is jumping by leaps and bounds every day.  Yes, they serve different purposes, but man, talk about handling community relationships completely differently.

Your reply was completely useless and offensive.  Why did you even bother posting in here?  If you didn't like me asking for more people's input, you should have stayed out of the thread.

You've helped me the best that you could in the past, and for that I'm grateful.  But, your stupid, useless reply in this thread was not appreciated.  Keep that crap to yourself, and don't fucking piss off other users of this software.  LinuxMCE needs more users, not less.

Yes, I'm pissed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:03:51 pm by m3freak »

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 06:01:26 pm »
Ha Ha - good one.

I'd have to say I believe that 40Gb should suffice, granted you can live with purging caches and running out of space frequently... ::)

-Tony

Your reply was useless, too.  Mocking inexperienced users has got to be the single best way to destroy the LinuxMCE community.  Keep it up and watch the damned project crash and burn because its users are all going to flock to XBMC, if they haven't already started to, if this type of shit keeps up.

_if_

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 06:18:08 pm »
I just had a look, I'm using about 20GB for my system as well...that install (10.04) is about 2 months old now

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 06:28:19 pm »
Now I know how wars gets started. Someone reads a sarcastic remark, just after waking up on the wrong foot. And *boom* a war begins.

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 07:34:13 pm »
I just had a look, I'm using about 20GB for my system as well...that install (10.04) is about 2 months old now

Thanks, man.  I really appreciate it.

Two replies with the same info, so that seals it for me.  I'm going to exchange the 40 GG SSD for a 80 GB SSD.  I hope it's good enough for a couple of years.

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 08:35:58 pm »
Before you get a 80gb SSD you may want to add a different question:

Is SSD the correct technology for a Core?

I say this because I am sure I read somewhere that it may not be well suited to this application but I can't remember the conversation

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 08:50:32 pm »

I say this because I am sure I read somewhere that it may not be well suited to this application but I can't remember the conversation

Whilst the write times were very good, the read times were rubbish, or something like that? EDIT: Other way round I think.

Cost is a factor too - a "normal" hard drive is so much cheaper, I've certainly never had a problem with them. I considered SSD for my carPC, but even then I decided to just go with a 2.5" laptop drive. The only reason I can see for getting an SSD is that you can shave a few seconds off the boot time, which isn't good value for money in my opinion.

FYI My core/hybrid + 3 MDs is 29 GB. I haven't finished adding all my rooms yet, so I definitely wouldn't go less than 80 GB.

Cheers,
Matt.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:55:42 pm by purps »
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 09:38:48 pm »
I was thinking more with regard to finite write capabilities, but I may be wrong:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php/topic,11591.0.html

m3freak

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 09:40:52 pm »

Ah crap.  I just noticed the kernel in 10.04 is 2.6.32-35.  There's no TRIM support in that version. TRIM hit mainline Linux in 2.6.33.  I guess I'll be using the SSD in my desktop!!!  

Thanks for posting. I meant to check this BEFORE getting the SSD, but I completely forgot.