Author Topic: Insteon 2412U  (Read 9542 times)

Mryusef1

• View Profile
Insteon 2412U
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:47:33 pm »
Is it possible to get the Insteon 2412U working with LinuxMCE.  I saw in the WIKI that it's not supported but it was last updated in 2008 based on the date on the page.  I am prepared to buy a new device so if it wont work what would be the best starter device to buy?

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Insteon 2412U
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:15:30 am »
2412U is supported and should be automatically detected.

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:21:44 pm »
I updated the wiki page to reflect support for 2412U and 2413U PLM's

trippleg

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:41:16 am »
It works for the 2412n as well now. I have not had time to figure out the wiki, but when I get a free moment I will add a tutorial for using the be Venstar thermostat as well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 01:36:40 am by trippleg »

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:54:56 pm »

trippleg

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:46:03 am »
Thanks trippleg
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Insteon_-_Setting_Up_PLM_Template

Thanks aviator

Just an FYI users are better off using the existing plm Ruby code contained within the source rather than the one on the wiki. I have submitted changes that add functionality for the venstar thermostat.

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 04:09:21 am »
Trippleg,

Since you're appearantly familiar with the PLM code, could you tell me/us if it presently supports Insteon scenes?  If so, would it support creating a scene in LinuxMCE that gets pushed into the devices, or merely triggering a scene that already exists in the devices (e.g. Manually linked scenes)?

Thanks!

/Mike

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 05:06:03 am »
Thanks aviator

Just an FYI users are better off using the existing plm Ruby code contained within the source rather than the one on the wiki. I have submitted changes that add functionality for the venstar thermostat.

I agree with you on that, I think that code was there before the template was checked in to the database.  It should be removed to avoid confusion.

trippleg

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 06:14:07 pm »
Trippleg,

Since you're appearantly familiar with the PLM code, could you tell me/us if it presently supports Insteon scenes?  If so, would it support creating a scene in LinuxMCE that gets pushed into the devices, or merely triggering a scene that already exists in the devices (e.g. Manually linked scenes)?

Thanks!

/Mike

Mike-

I have focused mainly on the Thermostat Functionality, not lighting yet, but will in the future.  From what I can tell scenes are setup directly through LinuxMCE. It takes the place of the insteon software. So scenes will be defined within the web interface of LinuxMCE.

-Gregg

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 06:36:16 pm »
From what I can tell scenes are setup directly through LinuxMCE. It takes the place of the insteon software. So scenes will be defined within the web interface of LinuxMCE.

Gregg,

I'm more familiar with using Insteon via Misterhouse, as that's my present production environment.  With Insteon, you can have on device scenes, where multiple devices are linked and the scene is executed with one command that is acted on by all devices simultaneously.  There were past comments on the LMCE forums that scenes for Insteon devices were simply LMCE sending individual commands to each device, which puts more traffic on the Insteon network in the case of complex scenes.  So, my inquiry was more along the lines of "is that still the case?"  I had seen comments about someone writing a C device driver, but nothing appeared in the forums or trac to that extent.

Having scene support in LMCE where the scenes are downloaded to the devices and then executed by a single command would ensure a faster response time, less traffic for the Insteon network, and would give a fail-safe capability in the case that the LMCE core was down, so that lighting works the same with or without automation (major WAF sticking point).

Not sure if you're aware of this little Insteon gem or not...

http://www.madreporite.com/insteon/commands.htm

Thanks for the reply, and hope that helps!

/Mike

trippleg

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 02:01:32 am »
I believe it still sends individual codes to the insteon device, not scenes. That being said users have the ability to add that functionality by modifying the existing code.  I was looking at mister house, but the 2412n is not supported, so I went with lmce and created a template for it and added support for the venstar thermostat by modifying the existing python code using the link you provided in your post.

I did not think about sending scenes directly to the insteon, and i dont recall seeing the plm codes to do that, but I think it would be a good feature to add. Wish I could be more help.

-Gregg

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 06:08:26 pm »
Insteon doesnt really have "scenes" in the sense that some central controller is programmed with group associations. And yes, currently lmce talks to one device at a time. However, there is plenty of bandwidth on the insteon network so it would take some pretty crazy sized installation to cause problems there.
Most insteon devices are both a controller and a receiver though, so you can always associate one switch with several lights to retain usefull offline control.
I was also the one that was working on the c++ device, but I do not know c++ well enough to get very far, and in the end decided that the ruby code is plenty sufficient.
Sure it would be nice to support insteon groups at some point in the future, but really i cant think of much benefit.

Mryusef1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 01:13:08 am »
Thanks for the help.  How can I tell if the system sees the Insteon 2412U.  I did an lsusb and I see it there but I know that kubuntu sees it but I am not sure that linuxmce sees it.  I followed the wiki to add it but how do I know if it is active?

Also will the Insteon 2412U control x10 and Insteon devices.  That may be my problem.  I have an Insteon Modem and two x10 devices.  I have a MAC with a trial version of Indigo 5 I used to make sure everything works and it does on the Mac but I cant get anything to work in LinuxMCE.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aviator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 02:16:02 am »
If it was automatically detected, it should be listed in the device tree. In the web admin page, click on show device tree at the bottom left.  Expand the core. You should see Insteon PLM listed as a device.

If the Insteon PLM is not there, then it likely didn't get auto detected. You will need to add the device manually. Go to Wizard -> devices -> Generic serial devices in the web admin.  There should not be an Insteon PLM in the list.  Click add device.  Choose Device ID 1932.  You will need to configure the port. It should be /dev/ttyUSB0 or something similar.  Now you need to add the child devices (x10 in your case).  I've never used an x10 device with my system, so I can't offer much more.  Good luck.

Mryusef1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 03:55:07 am »
thanks for the help.  I think Im going to build or buy a new computer to dedicate to LinuxMCE.  Ive been swapping harddrives in a Dell 755 and switching between OSX and LinuxMCE.  Once I get a new system Ill give it another try.