Author Topic: Most basic setup...do I need automation right now?  (Read 6042 times)

yukon

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Most basic setup...do I need automation right now?
« on: March 21, 2007, 07:55:55 pm »
This is a simple question to answer..I hope. I currently have a mythtv box that I am looking to convert to linuxmce. I have absolutely no home automation hardware. Can I still use linuxmce on the single system as my pvr then add the home automation equipment at a later date? (Have to save the cash first)

Will there be any issues during the installation of not finding any equipment?

Thanks

ouie

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Most basic setup...do I need automation right now?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 04:01:34 pm »
Good to see a fellow mythtv user attempt to take the plunge.  :) I would check out the archive section of these forums. There are a lot of experiences that the guys using pluto have documented that may be helpful. I plan on following the same path and I am reluctant to kill my beloved mythbox. I have found several posts in the archive that talk about using a pure myth frontend with the linux mce/pluto "core" as a backend or using your current myth setup as a slave backend. This may be the intermediate step we are looking for.

asgard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Most basic setup...do I need automation right now?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 03:53:54 am »
From the hardware requirements point of view a Ubuntu x86 box and a network card is all that you need to get it installed and running, you can add any other device later if you wish.