Working now. This thing is pretty slick!
I did not do a factory reset. Just went into the phone's menu "Settings - Network Settings - DHCP" I hit **# to unlock, then I pressed "erase settings". This seemed to get rid of the previous locked and stored IP address. I added the mac address into the LMCE Cisco 7970 template (per the wiki). There were already a bunch of addresses, but I left these and added mine at the bottom. I did not do a factory reset or anything else except plug into LMCE. The 7970 screen stayed black, and it seemed to power cycle about 30 times (I think this is what the phone does when it is loading software). Then the screen flashed a few times, then the software load box appeared in LMCE, then it requested to reload orbiter a few times. Then the phone stayed on for good and tried to register for a few minutes. After it registered I did another reload router and the orbiter screen popped up.