Author Topic: Paradox SP6000 alarm system  (Read 4684 times)

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Paradox SP6000 alarm system
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:18:02 am »
Hi Everyone

At about the same time (ie now), we are about to install our first LinuxMCE (yay!!!) in our home and also our first alarm system. I'm doing the MCE and I've eventually decided I need to leave the alarm up to the contractor.

However, before I sign on the dotted line.... does anyone have any thoughts, experience or comments regarding the Paradox SP6000 panel. The (alarm) system we will be installing will basically be a panel, wireless unit (for remote arming and sensors) and a bunch of hardwired PIRs and a keypad. The system will also have a radio and probably telephone link to the security company monitoring station.

Now I believe the SP6000 can connect to an IP100 module which plugs into an IP network and then allows user interfacing to the alarm via a) their proprietory "Winload" software or b) a web browser on the network. I haven't investigated this aspect thoroughly and the security companies I've spoken to locally have no experience with it.

It will be a large and fairly expensive bummer if the alarm system and LMCE cannot talk to each other.... well, not the end of the world, but certainly it would be nice if they could. So if anyone has any comments or experience to feed me before I sign the contract, please speak up! Otherwise, I'll take one for the team and document my experiences here for the next guy in the same situation.

thanks
James

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Paradox SP6000 alarm system
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:35:00 am »
dude, seriously...

(1) does the device have a RS232 or Ethernet port?
(2) does it have a documented protocol?

If both of those questions can be answered yes, then you can write a device template and code for it.

-Thom

jamo

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • LMCE user Page
Re: Paradox SP6000 alarm system
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:03:00 am »
Thom, I'll try to answer both questions with a wee bit of research and some experimentation.

1) From what I understand so far, if I connect the IP100 module, it will have an ethernet port
2) This part (documented protocal) is often the challenge, I believe but I'll get in touch with the manufacturers and distributors and see what I come up with

I am more than willing to write a device template and code for it if it is within my capabilities and someone can point me in the right direction!

The systems (Paradox) are fairly popular in this part of the world so if I can help with compatability to LMCE, I'm sure that will be a good thing. Will get working on more detailed answers to the questions.