Trying to install my 7970 (actually it is a 7971G-GE). Have high hopes for making this an awesome phone and orbiter, but following the wiki only got me a few flashing buttons and clicking noises. I have downloaded the 101 page users guide and the 257 page admin guide and dug through endless websites trying to figure this thing out. It appears to retain its configuration from its previous owner. It also shows a locked padlock icon at upper right of the screen. I checked the admin guide and found that **# unlocks the settings. I also found the procedure for a factory reset on page 9-16 as follows:
When you perform a factory reset of the Cisco Unified IP Phone, the following information is erased or
reset to its default value:
• CTL file—Erased
• User configuration settings—Reset to default values
• Network configuration settings—Reset to default values
• Call histories—Erased
• Locale information—Reset to default values
• Phone application—Erased (phone recovers by loading the appropriate default load file
(term75.default.loads, term71.default.loads, term70.default.loads, term65.default.loads, or
term45.default.loads) depending on the phone model)
Before you perform a factory reset, ensure that the following conditions are met:
• The phone must be on a DHCP-enabled network.
• A valid TFTP server must be set in DHCP option 150 or option 66 on the DHCP server.
• The default load file for your phone model and the files specified in that file should be available on
the TFTP server that is specified by the DHCP packet.
Does LMCE meet the conditions required for a reset or is there additional software that I must load? Is a factory reset a bad idea? I don't want to make work for myself. Maybe I only have to manually enter a few configuration fields and the rest is automatically rewritten when it connects to LMCE. Also, the wiki says I must enter the converted MAC address (using the script) into the template. I notice there are many other MAC addresses in the template - should I delete all of these or add mine to them?