Author Topic: Multiswitch MythTV setup  (Read 6482 times)

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Multiswitch MythTV setup
« on: January 14, 2012, 07:46:08 pm »
I have 1x Quattro LNB (LOF: 9,75 / 10,60 GHz) connected to an EMP Centauri 9/16 Multiswitch. Standard satellite receivers receive the channels without any problem. However I am unable to get it to work for MythTV. I have checked the cable by using a standard receiver. My card is the Hauppauge HVR-4000 and I have a second one that I have tried as well.

One thing I am unsure about is how to configure the DISEqC page. I think I understand the concept that first DISEqC chooses between the two sets. Then the low vs high band and finally vertical vs horizontal. However I can only guess how that should look for the MythTV setup page.

I have no idea if anything else is the problem but I do know that I don't know what to do on this part of the setup so might as well tackle that first. I did get it to work back on 8.10 but I don't remember how, so it's highly likely that physically the cards aren't damaged.

When I search for channels I search for 10803000Khz, H, 22000, QPSK, 5/6 on ASTRA 2 (28.2) to find BBC News. So any pointers in the right direction is welcome. For starters I guess I choose a a DISEqC Switch with 2 ports right? Then do I get 2 Tone switches?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:51:55 pm by Schmich »

toppot

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Multiswitch MythTV setup
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:53:30 pm »
I have 1x Quattro LNB (LOF: 9,75 / 10,60 GHz) connected to an EMP Centauri 9/16 Multiswitch. Standard satellite receivers receive the channels without any problem. However I am unable to get it to work for MythTV. I have checked the cable by using a standard receiver. My card is the Hauppauge HVR-4000 and I have a second one that I have tried as well.

One thing I am unsure about is how to configure the DISEqC page. I think I understand the concept that first DISEqC chooses between the two sets. Then the low vs high band and finally vertical vs horizontal. However I can only guess how that should look for the MythTV setup page.

I have no idea if anything else is the problem but I do know that I don't know what to do on this part of the setup so might as well tackle that first. I did get it to work back on 8.10 but I don't remember how, so it's highly likely that physically the cards aren't damaged.

When I search for channels I search for 10803000Khz, H, 22000, QPSK, 5/6 on ASTRA 2 (28.2) to find BBC News. So any pointers in the right direction is welcome. For starters I guess I choose a a DISEqC Switch with 2 ports right? Then do I get 2 Tone switches?

Thanks

Let me try to help, I fear you have over complicated things a bit.
First (and I do not assume this is really needed, but do it anyway) look at one of your "normal" sat boxes under tuner or sat config (or whatever its called). Since your switch has room for 2 sat positions I assume that's what your have - funny (ab)use of the Torodial T90, but thats beside the point, perhaps your 2 positions are far apart or something.

On your sat box you will find (I am 99.99% sure) a config saying sat pos 1 (could be 28.2 or "the pther") at DISEqC port A, and the other sat at port B - or reverse. 2 thing worth nothing here. Ports in DISEqC are called A+B when we are talking very basic DISEqC switching (ver 1.0) - meaning in Myth you should never consider anything more complicated like tone-switches, cascaded DISEqC switches or anything like that.

The lessons learned:
1. Your regular sat boxes does not see the "advanced" multiswitch setup - they just see a simple setup with 2 universal LNBs controlled via DISEqC port A and B. So should your Myth setup look like.
2. Port A is 28.2 and Port B is the other - or the other way round...

Now in Myth you are on the right path - choose one switch (2 port) and then select if your desired sat is in port A or Port B. That's all!!!!!!!! Remember, the sat boxes does not "see" the multiswitch, they just see 2 universal LNBs.

I think that perhaps you have been confused by the fact that you have 2 switches built in to one box - one multiswitch, and one DISEqC 1.0 switch - I am sure of this since I read the manual for your particular switch  ;)

One last note for your understanding. DISEqC switches BETWEEN satellites! For 99% of us any other switching taking place is to select band and polarization on that particular sat. That switching is done with the 13/18 volts, and the 22Khz signal, and for you that does not take place in the LNB but in the multiswitch - but it does not matter for Myth where it takes place, all Myth should be configured for is one universal LNB 9.75/10.6 H/V (per DISEqC port).

- Other could learn: To get accurate answers the key is to accurately describe your problem, AND your setup :-)

Hope this brings you the rest of the way  8)

-Tony

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:48:29 am »
I've been away for a bit. I tried before leaving and today a bit, but got the same result. I currently only have one of the quattro's installed/connected to the multiswitch. What is strange is I can choose no DISEqC, or DISEqC Pos1 or 2, and still get my channels. Looking at the multiswitch it should be pos 1. Maybe it's not picky if there's only one quattro installed, I don't know.

In the myth-tv setup I have tried exactly what you wrote, both Pos 1 and Pos 2, no luck. I also tried without a switch and just an LNB in the configuration and that actually locks on (which I don't in DISEqC mode) to some of the transponders, however no channels are found. The transponders give channels on the normal satellite receivers/boxes.

I have tested one of the HVR-4000 on my Windows machine. It can get both the DVB-T and the DVB-S channels meaning that card is functional. So I think the cards don't install properly under LinuxMCE. They get listed under the MythTV-setup but something obviously goes wrong. The DVB-T part doesn't work either, but then again it didn't work under 8.10 when DVB-S did - so that might not say much.

I at least can't see any other possibility for now and I don't have any other type of DVB-S card (only a DVB-T one) in order to test this theory. I guess my options now are getting hold of another DVB-S card or figuring out what can be wrong with the HVR-4000 installation. I have no experience but maybe it's be the firmware? I could sell the HVR-4000 and get something else but they're nice cards if you can receive DVB-T/S/S2 channels.

As for the T90, you're absolutely correct ^^ Just having 1-2 LNB's on it is a bit of a waste but $200 for skipping cable-TV (for about a dozen TVs) and having the flexibility to expand isn't so expensive. I was going to get Thor 5-6 for the Swedish channels but I was unaware they displaced the "nordic" beam more towards the north, so I'm unable to get it in Switzerland (where I live).

Anyway, a big thanks for the help and making sure I'm on the right road.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:50:17 am by Schmich »

toppot

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 08:22:06 am »
I've been away for a bit. I tried before leaving and today a bit, but got the same result. I currently only have one of the quattro's installed/connected to the multiswitch. What is strange is I can choose no DISEqC, or DISEqC Pos1 or 2, and still get my channels. Looking at the multiswitch it should be pos 1. Maybe it's not picky if there's only one quattro installed, I don't know.
Would be very surprised if the switch wasn't picky with only one LNB attached... When you get a lock either way, it tells me the that the DISEqC is not picked up (well, sent out) correctly... But again, try looking at the working setup from one of the regular receivers - how is DISEqC configured here? Where is it "you can choose no DISEqC, or DISEqC Pos1 or 2, and still get my channels."?? Is that on a regular sat box? Have you had it working with both LNBs installed at any point?

In the myth-tv setup I have tried exactly what you wrote, both Pos 1 and Pos 2, no luck. I also tried without a switch and just an LNB in the configuration and that actually locks on (which I don't in DISEqC mode) to some of the transponders, however no channels are found. The transponders give channels on the normal satellite receivers/boxes.
The Switch (the DISEqC part of it) probably just defaults to Pos1 when no commands are received - which is nice for now. I recommend ignoring DISEqC until you have the card working. When you write that you get lock "to some of the transponders" that really is a tell tale sign for me that the driver isn't working!
I assume your are running 10.04 with a 2.6.32 kernel. Your card have had drivers included in the kernel since 2.6.28 - but they are buggy... Please take a look at this link for hints to a solution: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000

I have tested one of the HVR-4000 on my Windows machine. It can get both the DVB-T and the DVB-S channels meaning that card is functional. So I think the cards don't install properly under LinuxMCE. They get listed under the MythTV-setup but something obviously goes wrong. The DVB-T part doesn't work either, but then again it didn't work under 8.10 when DVB-S did - so that might not say much.
You should be aware that due to limitations of the card Myth (or any system) can not use DVB-S and DVB-T simultaneously. Not a problem on a desktop setup, but for a server setup like Myth this limitation is important.. And I am quite sure that Myth will not "release" the DVB-S lock to allow using it as a DVB-T tuner when not requiring DVB-S... The problem is that for Myth there is no conflict, since these 2 tuners are on different adapters. (Adapter 0 should be DVB-S and adapter 1 DVB-T, if I remember correct?)

I at least can't see any other possibility for now and I don't have any other type of DVB-S card (only a DVB-T one) in order to test this theory. I guess my options now are getting hold of another DVB-S card or figuring out what can be wrong with the HVR-4000 installation. I have no experience but maybe it's be the firmware? I could sell the HVR-4000 and get something else but they're nice cards if you can receive DVB-T/S/S2 channels.
Have a stab at rectifying the driver issues :)
Or consider it this way - these cards are mostly nice in a single user setup, so for Myth you could do with any other DVB-S2 or DVB-T card, or a mix of them, and then allow your household to have direct sat feed (or DVB-T) to their windows desktops through the HVR-4000 cards.. Even if it would be redundant if you get your Myth setup working, but that's beside the point  8)

As for the T90, you're absolutely correct ^^ Just having 1-2 LNB's on it is a bit of a waste but $200 for skipping cable-TV (for about a dozen TVs) and having the flexibility to expand isn't so expensive. I was going to get Thor 5-6 for the Swedish channels but I was unaware they displaced the "nordic" beam more towards the north, so I'm unable to get it in Switzerland (where I live).

Anyway, a big thanks for the help and making sure I'm on the right road.
You are very welcome - I still hope you manage to get it working :)
I have the T90 myself, and living in Denmark means I never have to concern which of the beams I am trying to catch for the Nordic providers - although I am also able to get SkyUK Freesat on the same dish - even if this beam is supposedly focused very much on UK.
I would argue that you should be able (with luck and fine tuning) to catch the Thor Nordic beam on a T90 - but the thing with these beams is that they are not decreasing linearly in strength when you move out of their focus area... So somebody 50 Km from you might see very different results (better or worse). Anyway, I believe more than half of both Canal Digital and Viasat is on beams, that should be very possible to catch for you... You would need to tinker with decoding anyway, so lets get you a stable Myth before going down this route ;)

-Tony

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:02:59 pm »
Would be very surprised if the switch wasn't picky with only one LNB attached... When you get a lock either way, it tells me the that the DISEqC is not picked up (well, sent out) correctly... But again, try looking at the working setup from one of the regular receivers - how is DISEqC configured here? Where is it "you can choose no DISEqC, or DISEqC Pos1 or 2, and still get my channels."??
Sorry, I meant on the normal receivers it isn't being picky, I can choose whatever and still get the channels. At least on the box I tried (I have different models). I might try the other boxes when the guests are gone.

I recommend ignoring DISEqC until you have the card working. When you write that you get lock "to some of the transponders" that really is a tell tale sign for me that the driver isn't working!
I assume your are running 10.04 with a 2.6.32 kernel. Your card have had drivers included in the kernel since 2.6.28 - but they are buggy... Please take a look at this link for hints to a solution: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000
I bet that's what I did back in 8.10, skip DISEqC all together. I can't remember if I managed to get it working on 8.10 through installing the drivers myself (using the link you gave) or the work done by MANDINGO. I I'll play around with the firmwares and drivers in the coming days.

You should be aware that due to limitations of the card Myth (or any system) can not use DVB-S and DVB-T simultaneously. Not a problem on a desktop setup, but for a server setup like Myth this limitation is important.. And I am quite sure that Myth will not "release" the DVB-S lock to allow using it as a DVB-T tuner when not requiring DVB-S... The problem is that for Myth there is no conflict, since these 2 tuners are on different adapters. (Adapter 0 should be DVB-S and adapter 1 DVB-T, if I remember correct?)
That was changed last version or something like that. Now it's on the same adapter but different frontend eg. adapter0/frontend0 = dvbs, adapter0/frontend1 = dvbt

I would argue that you should be able (with luck and fine tuning) to catch the Thor Nordic beam on a T90 - but the thing with these beams is that they are not decreasing linearly in strength when you move out of their focus area...
Yeah, that's what I noticed when viewing coverage maps. It's a shame. If it was linear I bet I could have picked it up, at least on a non-cloudy day. Looking at a map the last place that can get it is Stuttgart and I'm "only" around 300km away. http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?lat=46.09&lng=7.23&zoom=5&beam=5718&type=normal&name=Temp Would you still argue it could maybe work or am I a bit too off?

edit: I forgot there's also Sirius at 4.8E for the Swedish channels that seems a bit closer: www.satbeams.com/footprints?lat=46.09&lng=7.23&zoom=5&beam=5135&type=normal&name=Temp
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:06:23 pm by Schmich »

Schmich

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:30:49 pm »
I tried installing the v4l-dvb driver from the linuxtv page but that just wiped both cards away from mythtv-setup. However after re-install LMCE again I managed to get it to work by installing firmware v1.26.90.0.

DVB-T doesn't work on the card due to a faulty driver in the 2.6.32 kernel. I'm not sure if I'm going to tackle that problem as installing the drivers, as I mentioned above, just nuked my cards. I'll open a new thread for the 4000 and see if someone else has gotten it to work. At worst I'll switch/get new cards or have to wait for LMCE to be on a newer kernel.

As for the multi-switch configuration, it was just as easy as you said: a DISEqC Switch with 2 ports that's connect to two universal LNB's. Then under Input Connections choosing the right LNB. Thanks for the help with this.

I'm still wondering though: this location is too far away from the beam right? http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?lat=46.09&lng=7.23&zoom=5&beam=5135&type=normal&name=Temp

Kwagz

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:32:36 pm »
Hi guys

I'm very new to Linuxmce. I'm from south africa, I'm a technician I deal with a lot of it systems , intercomms , cctv , catv and so on.. Sorry guys the entire thread was abit too much to read for myself cos I'm using my cell phone. Ok back to helping you'll with this problem.
Basically how satellite works is.. A mutli-switch takes you 4 sometimes 5 inputs I.e vertical low, vertical high, horizontal high , horizontal high, and lastly terestrial(or known as cable to some).. Ok that's a multi-switch.
A disceq switch is totally diff as in it works with ports A B C D or sometimes numbers. That combines 4 satellite feeds(can be from diff satellites) into 1 output.
Now this is where I think your confussion lies, if you using a multiswitch and a 1 feed to each tuner box or card you don't need to select any disceq options because you don't have any disceq switches installed and or you don't have many satellites on your system so basically you may be making a mistake with the 2.. 

We don't get astra around here so I'm not sure on which band you are getting your signals.. High or low band? If its high band you should have the 22k tone set to auto or on on myth tv(if there is that option)

Hope this helps you guys