Author Topic: Core Only with TV Tuner?  (Read 2245 times)

dison4linux

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Core Only with TV Tuner?
« on: January 14, 2012, 03:40:53 am »
If you disable the media director from starting on your core (by setting AutostartMedia=0 in /etc/pluto.conf), can you still use TV Tuner cards located in the core on the other media directors?  Or does the media director need to be running in order to "serve" the TV Tuners over the net?

Thanks,
Jon

mkbrown69

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Core Only with TV Tuner?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:16:37 am »
Good day!

Someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong, but disabling the MD/Orbitor on the core will only affect your ability to VIEW media on the core.  The tuners are managed by MythTV or VDR (whichever you chose to set up when you installed LinuxMCE) and will run as background services.  I'm more knowledgable about Myth, as that's my present "production" environment at home (I'm testing and doing some infrastructure proof-of-concepts on LMCE right now, so it's not "prod" yet).

My MythTV backend (which would be a LMCE core) runs headless, and has two dual-tuner PVR-1600's in it, and it can use the two PVR-150's that are installed in a slave backend/front-end in the family room.  Myth is really great for running a distributed system, and you can run any combination of backends and front ends as your situation may require.  Since LMCE leverages Myth, you inherit those capabilities.

Hope that helps!

/Mike

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Core Only with TV Tuner?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:28:06 pm »
My core contains my 2x Dual DVB-S2 cards, doesn't run as a hybrid, but core only (i.e. no Media Director starting up), and it works beautifully with VDR.