Author Topic: Need help with gc-100  (Read 8973 times)

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Need help with gc-100
« on: December 29, 2011, 02:18:23 am »
All, I have been running linuxmce for several years now (back to the pluto days) and have mainly used it to drive my whole house audio. I am now trying to get an old gc-100 to drive my home theater equipment. i have the old firmware version 2.4-06 (Yeah I know it is the one that has a problem getting detected). Oh and my external ip is 192.168.1. (running through a netgear router, I guess it is easy enough to change if I have to) I am running 8.10. Everything else is working just dandy.

So my setup is that I have an Integra Pre-amp with a Panasonic BR Player, a Western Digital HDTV-Live, and a Motorola DCH3200 cable box. I have manually set up the gc-100 according to the instructions in the wiki here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/GlobalCache_GC-100

The gc-100 shows up under Core in Advanced->Configuration->Devices
I have created child devices like so:
         gc100
            Generic IR Transmitter IR 2:1
               wd-TVLivePlus
            Generic IR Transmitter IR 2:2
               Panasonic BR Player
            Generic IR Transmitter IR 2:3
               DCH3200

The Pre-amp, I have setup at the top level under Core connected via the serial connection from the gc-100 like this:
         Onkyo / Integra Receiver
            AM - OTARadio/AM
            FM - OTARadio/FM
            Tuner - OTARadio/Tuner

I'm pretty sure all the wires/ir cables are connected correctly as is the serial cable.

Not sure what the tuner stuff is. It just showed up when I selected the Onkyo/integra receiver.

So the issue. When I send a command to a device, let's say the wd-TVLivePlus and ask for confirmation in the web admin, I get this:

Message Sent succesfully.
/usr/pluto/bin/MessageSend localhost -r 0 117 1 201 41 ""
Response was:
RESP: OK

but there are no flashing lights on the unit itself and nothing actually happens on the device. I have tried using the orbiter and there is no response.

Anyone willing to help me troubleshoot this? Any and all help is muchly appreciated.

DoTheDog
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:36:51 am by dothedog »

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with gc-100
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 02:30:24 am »
Also, I'm not sure how to set up the audio/video pipes. The way I'm set up, all video and all audio in the home theater go through the Integra Pre-amp, to separate amplifiers, video to a projector. If there is any other info I can provide let me know.

DoTheDog

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 05:37:37 pm »
Hello,

Devices with firmware older than 3.0, should be added with the Add GC100 button in the Advanced menu on Orbiter. This causes the core to temporarily reassign its subnet to the odd subnet configuration that the older GC100's use by default, so it can be reassigned.

-Thom

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 02:37:01 am »
Thom,
Thanks for replying. So I should delete the gc-100 in the webadmin, set to defaults, and try to add it using the Orbiter->Advanced->Add gc-100 button? Well, I tried it a couple of times and it appears like something happened as the Video Setup Wizard starts, but when I look in the web admin the gc-100 isn't there. The good news is that now the integra pre-amp is working (on a direct usb-serial rs232 connection from the core). Should I just go ahead and reinstall it manually?  Or is there way to troubleshoot the script?

Thanks,
Rob

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:30:16 am »
Ok, so I ended up buying a new gc-100 as I couldn't get the old one to work. It went in just fine. I actually now have the Cable box (Motorola DCH3200) and the Western Digital TV Live Plus are mainly working. I need to play with it a bit to make sure everything works. The one I am having difficulty with is my Blu-ray player. It's a Panasonic BD30. I got it set up with all the correct ir codes, however, when I select it in an Orbiter, it does turn on the BR player, and changes the input on the pre-amp, but the issue is that I don't get a remote. I get a remote for the cable box and the WD. Any ideas why I wouldn't get a remote for the BR player? Anything I can check?

DoTheDog

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 01:56:59 am »
So any thoughts on what causes the generation of buttons (e.g. play, stop, nav ) to generate for av equipment on an orbiter? Or more importantly what prevents the generation of the "remote" on an orbiter?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 03:24:43 am »
A remote is generated from three sources: (as seen in src/Media_Plugin/Media_Plugin.cpp::PopulateRemoteControlMaps()
(1) an entry in DeviceTemplate_DesignObj (this is created when you assign screens to a designobj)
(2) the DeviceTemplate_MediaType table
(3) skin overrides for those two.

So more than likely, when you've defined your device template for your device, you simply chose that the A/V device output LiveTV, and so it used the default LiveTV remote. This can be changed inside the device template under A/V Properties.

-Thom

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 05:07:47 am »
Thom,
Thanks for the response. I am not sure where the A/V Device output you mention is. I  looked in the A/V Devices -> Advanced -> Device Templates -> View -> Device Category? I tried changing it from Blu-Ray to DVD Players/Recorders #107 and it didn't make any difference. Is this what you were suggesting? Or is there some other place I should make a change?

Rob

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 05:10:57 am »
No. Changing the category will not help here.

What you want to do is press the A/V Properties button inside the device template screen itself.

-Thom

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 05:29:25 am »
Thom, I'm sorry for being so dense. So in the A/V Devices -> Advanced -> Device Template -> View -> Edit Audio/Video Properties. I'm not seeing the A/V Device Output...

Here is what the top of the screen says:
Code: [Select]
WARNING: the changes will afect all devices created from device template DMP-BD30.
Device Template DMP-BD30, category DVD Players/Recorders and manufacturer Panasonic.
Delays: Power: 7000 miliseconds, Mode: 2000 miliseconds, Other: 250 miliseconds [change/explain]
Tuning: No fixed digits [x] terminate with enter [change/explain]
Power: Toggle [change/explain]
Inputs Discrete: [change/explain]
DSP Modes NONE: [change/explain]
IR Repeats: General IR codes: 4, Volume IR codes: 2 [change/explain]

I am using Pronto Codeset - 0517

Then below it is just a bunch of the pronto codes for various buttons on the remote. I really appreciate your help on this.

Rob

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 07:01:29 am »
select the inputs: Discrete [Change/Explain]

-Thom

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 04:47:27 am »
Thom, That did it. I guess the problem I was having is that the Blu-ray input type doesn't have a remote associated with it? I used the DVD on and it works great. Thanks so much for your help!!!!!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 04:49:48 am »
Correct, there isn't a remote designed for that media type. You can make one in Designer, though.

-Thom

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 05:06:36 pm »
Thom, Again thanks so much for your help! I have never played with Designer. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Rob