Author Topic: Torrent installation  (Read 13061 times)

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Torrent installation
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 05:25:47 pm »
I prefer transmission - it's also been awesome for me.  I can control it remotely from a terminal, a browser, or my phone.  Handy!!!

Aye. Chrome extension, android and apple apps, among others.

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 03:17:48 am »
Perhaps I skimmed over it and missed it but have you considered using ktorrent?
It's already installed and has plenty of port/directory options and it's easy to use. I use it flawlessly from the kubutu desktop. I've been using it since the 7.10 release of lmce. I currently run 8.10 and have never had a problem.
Core: Broken :(

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 04:41:21 am »
I agree with Fearingsept and have been doing the same as him.  I have a directory setup to drop torrent files into it and they automatically start

dextaslab

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • modlog.net
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 06:32:55 am »
I prefer transmission - it's also been awesome for me.  I can control it remotely from a terminal, a browser, or my phone.  Handy!!!

Plus if your as lazy/impatient as I am you can get it to post completion notifications to your orbiters http://www.modlog.net/?p=109

bongowongo

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 10:22:46 am »
Plus if your as lazy/impatient as I am you can get it to post completion notifications to your orbiters http://www.modlog.net/?p=109

Why is that post not in the wiki?!??!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 01:48:33 pm »
It is worth noting that with a bit more massaging, a DCE device (Transmission) and a Plugin (Downloader Plugin) could be made on the core.

messages could be sent to the downloader plugin to download stuff, and forwarded to the correct device.

This has a number of implications that may not be immediately evident:

* This means that of course, more and more downloading protocols can be added as time goes on.
* It also means that we could add torrent downloading directly to the file browser, if so desired.
* But it also means, that the downloading aspect could be offloaded not just to the core, but to another machine in the house (i.e. wherever Transmission Daemon is really being loaded...An example of this, would be a Transmission daemon running on a NAS such as the WD My Book Live, which has Transmission Daemon installed by default.

Think about it.
-Thom

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 04:36:18 pm »
I agree with Fearingsept and have been doing the same as him.  I have a directory setup to drop torrent files into it and they automatically start

I used this feature when at home, but SWMBO found it a bit too complicated and started leaving the torrent downloading to me. That was until I got the transmission remote apps setup as follows:

We queue up torrents via the tablet or our mobile phones via its 3G connection, where we don't have access to the house network shares. With Transmission, the way we have the devices configured, all we need to do is select the magnet link in a browser, and the torrent is queued. No mucking around with downloading or moving .torrent files around. We can manage (pause, delete, resume, prioritize, etc) the whole daemon from wherever.

Also, from what I've read, .torrent files are likely to be phased out and replaced with magnet links by most major trackers for legal reasons.

Just my $0.02.