Author Topic: Control Mythtv/satellite via usb  (Read 3769 times)

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Control Mythtv/satellite via usb
« on: February 04, 2012, 02:09:38 am »
I've searched the forum and came up on a few posts regarding channel changing for satellite box connected to the core via usb, all of which pertain to the use of a usbirt.  Can somebody give some pointers in using a usb? would the TuneToChannel.sh script apply? thanks

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Control Mythtv/satellite via usb
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 01:52:55 pm »
You are thinking too hard, stop it. :)

You would need to make a device template for your tuner box. An example of this would be the DCT6412 device template (Look in Advanced > Configuration > Device Templates), this device is controlled by IR, and can be selected via the Setup Wizard.

Once you've gotten a USB UIRT (http://www.usbuirt.com/), you can create a new IR device template (Select controlled by IR when it asks you), and proceed to lay out which buttons you actually have on your satellite box remote. You can then use the Learn function for each one of these codes, and Test each one to make sure it works correctly.

You also need to make sure that you have LiveTV selected as the input it provides.

Once this is done. You can then start the setup wizard.  Select your new satellite box from the list (after you've selected the appropriate manufacturer), and specify WHERE it is plugged into your AV equipment and how. If it is plugged into a tuner card, you can specify it in the next screen, as well.

Once this is done, all the necessary plumbing will be done. It really seriously alarms me that people do not understand this system and think that they have to rip everything up to accomplish what they need to do.

-Thom

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 04:54:25 pm »
You are thinking too hard, stop it. :)

You would need to make a device template for your tuner box. An example of this would be the DCT6412 device template (Look in Advanced > Configuration > Device Templates), this device is controlled by IR, and can be selected via the Setup Wizard.

Once you've gotten a USB UIRT (http://www.usbuirt.com/), you can create a new IR device template (Select controlled by IR when it asks you), and proceed to lay out which buttons you actually have on your satellite box remote. You can then use the Learn function for each one of these codes, and Test each one to make sure it works correctly.

You also need to make sure that you have LiveTV selected as the input it provides.

Once this is done. You can then start the setup wizard.  Select your new satellite box from the list (after you've selected the appropriate manufacturer), and specify WHERE it is plugged into your AV equipment and how. If it is plugged into a tuner card, you can specify it in the next screen, as well.

Once this is done, all the necessary plumbing will be done. It really seriously alarms me that people do not understand this system and think that they have to rip everything up to accomplish what they need to do.

-Thom

O.....Kaaaaay then.....woh....didn't mean ruffle any feathers thom. I kinda of understood that it could be done with a usbirt, but i was trying make use of the usb convertors and null modem cables i already had (which from reading posts has less lag time when changing channels anyway ) instead of spending money that i can use to add other hardware to the system.  But if it's going to take ripping up the system i'll buy usbirt. thanks  :)

ardirtbiker

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 05:01:11 pm »
I created a template to control the DirecTV sat boxes via RS232 (usb port on sat box and rs232 on pc).    You just need to know the command codes to be sent, then create the template.

Dennis

Newguy2

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 05:50:44 pm »
I created a template to control the DirecTV sat boxes via RS232 (usb port on sat box and rs232 on pc).    You just need to know the command codes to be sent, then create the template.

Dennis

Ok thanks, will look at it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:57:32 pm by Newguy2 »