Author Topic: Newbie Question about Windows PC's  (Read 5887 times)

darrenkarp

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Newbie Question about Windows PC's
« on: March 18, 2007, 09:20:49 pm »
Come on...one step away from brilliance. I've got media (music) on a Windows XP pc. I'm a noob at Linux...so far LinuxMCE detects everything...but still can't see my media....make it easy..what do we need to do?

darrenkarp

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Question about Windows PC's
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 09:15:52 am »
LMCE detects all my windows PC's without problems (although I'm not 100% certain I answered the questions about them correctly) yet I cannot see any of my media which is contained in them. Is there a way of pointing LMCE to the media?

Also, perhaps a dumb question but how do you close down LMCE and go back to the Ubuntu desktop?

TIA
Darren

omnivour00

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:30:59 pm »
Have you made the music publicly accessible?  Make sure you share the folder that contains the files that you want the linuxmce to access, otherwise it doesn't have the rights to browse or play.

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 05:06:33 am »
You can manually add a 'generic windows file share' device to the core, which will cause your windows share to be mounted inside linuxmce, and the media should be scanned and aggregated by the UpdateMedia daemon.  But normally this isn't necessary since the plug and play module is always scanning for new samba/windows shares on the net and asks you if you want to add them.  Try double checking the username/password are correct.  In the admin site, advanced, configuration, devices, under core you'll normally see the shares.