Author Topic: LinuxMCE won't start  (Read 9193 times)

BigWookie

• What a wookie!
    • View Profile
LinuxMCE won't start
« on: March 18, 2007, 03:53:34 am »
Hello,
So I decided to try this application since Pluto looks so damn cool.  I got Ubuntu up and running and have run the LinuxMCE install twice.  I chose defaults except for core system only and give me the option of both Ubuntu and LinucMCE desktops.

So I reboot after install and try to launch MCE for my initial config.  It goes through all the startup stuff like starting MySQL, but nothing happens.  No GUI, nothing.  My /var/log/pluto folder has over 7000 files!

Any suggestions?  I'm deleting the log files and rebooting again to get an easier list of logs to look through.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Attempting LMCE after failing MythTV on Red Hat.  Windows user and Cisco admin, still struggling with *nix.

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE won't start
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 08:10:45 am »
Hi!
You wrote that you selected to run LinuxMCE in 'core' mode, right? The 'core' mode, IIRC, is for the dedicated box, on which LinuxMCE core (DCERouter) and other server-side stuff runs. If you want to have the GUI running on the same box, you should select the 'hybrid' mode.

BigWookie

• What a wookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 05:08:54 pm »
Agreed, but according to the docs I should get the GUI to configure basic setup like rooms and users.  Or am I misunderstanding them?  I'm going back to read them now and will update my own post if/when I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

On a side note, I read the other post about the install from CD not working, so I reinstalled again by download method.  I'm still in the same spot, but we'll see.

Thanks
Attempting LMCE after failing MythTV on Red Hat.  Windows user and Cisco admin, still struggling with *nix.

BigWookie

• What a wookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 05:14:28 pm »
Well, I found the admin tool to continue config.  From either the core MCE or another machine on the network, I just hit http://IP of core and started configuring.  The documentation made me think this would happen automatically, but it doesn't.  I'm all good now!  :-)

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 07:06:46 am »
Well, I think this was a kind of non-clear formulation in documentation: when you installing the LMCE in 'core' mode, you need to go to http://IP and use the web configuration wizard (you already figured out this :). When you are installing in the 'hybrid' mode, you will get GUI (non-web GUI) running, so the wizard will appear on LMCE start and allow you to fill the same data.