Author Topic: How to return XP, After install LinuxMCE  (Read 2759 times)

kazigs

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
How to return XP, After install LinuxMCE
« on: December 11, 2011, 01:17:58 pm »
Hi everyone,
I install LinuxMCE, and I thought when I installed this I have the option to
back to my win XP, But after I install LinuxMCE
The system up with not option to choose between MCE or XP.. just the MCE up, everytime...

So how can I return the Win XP,
Or Even to wach the my files were on XP, For backup the files and install the XP again.

Thanks!

l3mce

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: How to return XP, After install LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:58:36 pm »
It would depend on the options you chose during setup. If you chose "erase the entire disk" then there is no getting xp back. If you chose "install side by side" then you should A) Have an option to boot to it in the grub menu, and B) In the desktop you should be able to open the file manager and see a disk labeled 250 GB filesystem (or however large yours is) and manipulate the files.

I never quit... I just ping out.

kazigs

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 06:11:18 pm »
Thanks for the replay,
I really dont remember what I did when I installed MCE,
I just remember I didnt change anything.. so if the default was to erase the Xp so that what happning.

You can show me where is it in the desktop maybe a screenshout... where I need to go to see all mt files.

thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:19:48 pm by kazigs »

purps

• If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:47:00 pm »
Boot (or run) gparted, which is a partition editor. You can use this to check which partitions are where for a given hard disk.

If my memory serves me correctly, the default option when installing Kubuntu is to install side-by-side, so unless you changed it, XP should still be there. However, it seems strange that grub isn't giving you the option of booting into XP, which means you might have chosen the option that wipes the entire disk. Of course there is the possibility that grub isn't quite right, and you do indeed have both XP and LMCE.

So first thing to do is check whether XP is actually there, and if it is, then you need to look at grub. This is a very general procedure which affects loads of people running both XP and Ubuntu, you'll find lots of information on Google.

Cheers,
Matt.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

l3mce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 03:55:52 am »
If you pop into chat, I will help you out. Trying to give instructions here will be a nightmare. I don't have any kubuntu dual boots, and a screenshot of Ubunut won't likely help you... but if you open the KDE desktop (under advanced in LMCE), and click the K button where the windows start button would be, Dolphin (the default file manager) will likely be in your quick list (I can't remember for sure). If it is not, with that "start" button open, just type in dolphin, and it will appear as a clickable option. Click it. On the left, you will have a number of folders/drives depending... One of those drives is going to be your windows partition (probably). I should mention that I hate Dolphin, and find it very glitchy.

If you need further help, like I said, drop into freenode.irc at channel #linuxmce, and I will explain how to find it/port it off if it exists.
I never quit... I just ping out.