Author Topic: Tekmar heating controls integration?  (Read 4635 times)

jgalak

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Tekmar heating controls integration?
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:11:49 pm »
I am planning a new house, and was hoping to install some home automation features.  LinuxMCE seems like a perfect way to go, but one key (for me) feature is missing - I intend to use a Tekmar heating control system (put one in my current house and love it), but I don't see it listed as supported anywhere.  Any chance this is a project someone will be doing in the next few years?  

The full specs for the protocol are on the tekmar website, but I can't seem to post a link to it.  It's on the tekmar control website, search for "482", then click the "Information for Custom Developers" button at the top.

Doesn't look too tough, but not really within my ability to program - I've never done any sort of low-level protocol programming before...

Thanks,
Juliean.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Tekmar heating controls integration?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:23:57 am »
Welcome. :)

None of us have the unit you describe, so none of us have written a driver for it. However, you can choose to either:

(1) write it yourself in Ruby using our Generic Serial Device method, or
(2) pay one of us a per hour rate to develop a driver for it.

Something to think about,
-Thom

jgalak

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 01:29:21 am »
Does it have to be in Ruby?  Can the device driver be written in C++?  I've never programmed in Ruby, but did (admittedly, a long time ago) work quite a but in C++

This is a someday project - we haven't finished redoing the house or putting in the new heating system, etc.  But If I go with home automation, I want to wire for it now, even if this part of the project doesnt go into place for a year or two.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:38:40 am »
Yes, you can develop your driver in C++.

I would suggest reading this then: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Developing_a_DCE_Device

Feel free to ask questions, we will do our best to answer them.

-Thom