Author Topic: well, that didn't work.  (Read 6145 times)

thynk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
well, that didn't work.
« on: March 15, 2007, 08:59:26 pm »
Being new to the project, I have some questions for the installer and maybe a place to look for why it's not installing all the way.

I've gone through several reinstalls of this system and none of them have worked as expected, usually stopping when it hits a package it can't download, even running the install from CD. Where does the installer drop it's log files so I can check more in depth of why/where it's failing?  The one time it went through the entire install and asked me to reboot, the icon to start linuxmce never was installed in the app menu. 

It does run, even with the failed install and takes me through the guided setup.  It renders all the screens and then goes to a black screen, either popping up a message saying it can't reach the orbiter or justs there on a black screen.

Many thanks,

Stu

asgard

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: well, that didn't work.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:03:04 pm »
The installer's log can be found in /var/log/mce-installer.log. Btw, don't think that the offline installation will work right now so this might be the problem. Try give me a hint on this  if you find the problem.

pestilence

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 08:14:51 am »
It's breaking because the installer alters /etc/apt/sources.list, which causes a dependency failure for vim.  I believe if people install vim first, it will work with the .iso from the torrent on pirate bay.

Annon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 01:40:46 pm »
Somehow, mine installed ok from the cd (took forever though.. 1hr+). Now I'm dealing with tv-out display issues though, so I haven't gotten through the av wizard.

webpaul1

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 05:08:28 am »
the correct 1.0 install cd is up, and i tested it and it worked ok.  please confirm that it's not an issue with the version you have.

thynk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 09:49:26 pm »
I finally got a few hours to sit and play with this again.  Fresh install of 6.10 and installed with the new iso.  Install seems to finish without error and starts the GUI wizard for setup after reboot. 

However, I didn't install the ATI drivers ahead of time so the UI2 doesn't seem to function at all and all of my usb ports are non-functional, I think this is a hardware issue which will be most disappointing since this is the only spare computer in the house with a video card worth a damn.  This will kill the usage of this computer, since being a laptop, usb is the only way to get BT or an external mouse into it.

Thanks for the input!

Stu