Author Topic: Kernel update on LMCE 8.10 useful? i.e. support AF9015 DVB-T USB stick?  (Read 3621 times)

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Hi LMCE community!

I setup a LMCE 8.10 Core/hybrid which works great!
Now I want to attach 3 diskless Media Directors (Laptops) were I have some graphic driver (ATI and Intel) problems - also as a seperate topic here in the forum.

My Core is running the default kernel which is I guess 2.6.27.

Challenge what I have:
I would like to add a DVB-T USB Stick (Afatech AF9015 DVB-T USB2.0 stick) as a DVB-T source - which works in Ubuntu 11.04 or 11.10 plug and play.
Also I hope that perhaps some graphic driver problems will be solved on my Media Drivers with a kernel upgrade.

Problem:
The default kernel of Kubuntu 8.10 seems not supporting the DVB-T Stick. I upgraded the kernel already on the Core once. The guide for this was on lmce Wiki for "Upgrading_the_Kernel". I upgraded to 2.6.32.8 which worked for the Linux part (meaning the core booted up) but the linuxMCE part did not work anymore.

Question:
Do you recommend upgrading the kernel? If yes, do you have a reliable method of doing it?

When upgrading the kernel, is there anything to do on the LinuxMCE part?

When upgrading the kernel, will this upgrade also affect the kernel of my diskless Mediadirectors? Do I have to consider anything ?

I would be very thankful for any comment here to be able to use this wonderful LMCE solution at my home!

Thank you and best regards
Roman

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Kernel update on LMCE 8.10 useful? i.e. support AF9015 DVB-T USB stick?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:22:34 pm »
Hi!
Does no one has the experience in upgrading the kernel?
It would be very helpful to have some guideline or experience shared.
Thank you very much!
Roman

JoakimL

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:24:31 am »
Upgrading and compiling a kernel is not very hard, there are numerous sources you'll find with Google. But - you need to know what you're changing. Adding functionality should not be that dangerous, but taking things away could easily break functionality in LMCE. Also - make sure you have a valid kernel configuration that is LMCE specific. I don't know if that's included in the LMCE distribution (since it uses stock Kubuntu as a foundation) or if you need to obtain it from a developer.

/Joakim
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:45:17 pm by JoakimL »

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 07:15:59 pm »
Hi Joakim!
That was exactly the point I need support for.
Upgrading thr kernel is definitely not the point but what happens with the LinuxMCE installation when upgrading KDE8.10 to Kernel 2.6.39 or 3.x for example.
Will LinuxMCE still work? What will happen to KDE8.10 itself?
Where can I find out what Kernel is LinuxMCE 8.10 compliant.
Thank you and best regards
Roman

Roman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:31:26 am »
To bring this thread to an end...
I purged LMCE 8.10 and installed LMCE 10.04 from scratch.
My experience is that 8.10 does not work with a 2.6.3x Kernel. The Dashboard of LMCE does not come up anymore.

Doing an Kernel upgrade on LMCE 10.04 works! I uprgraded to 2.6.38 because of my AFA9015 DVB-T Stick and after getting an X-Error - just installed again the latest NVIDIA driver - it again came up with the LMCE Dashboard and my DVB Hardware is now recognized and working properly.
I just have the problem that the MD does not Netboot anymore ... but I guess this is another story.
@Joakim: You stated in your last thread that I should take care about a "kernel configuration that is LMCE specific". How can I find this information?
thank you and best regards
Roman