Author Topic: Hulu unable to find flash  (Read 10967 times)

tmwillett

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hulu unable to find flash
« on: November 30, 2011, 04:05:00 am »
I recently had a mobo failure in my core, so I've done a clean rebuild of LMCE 8.10 using the final ISO.  When I install Hulu player on a media director and launch it, it pops up a box that says:

"Hulu Desktop could not locate the Flash plugin
If you already have it installed, please modify ~./huludesktop with the correct location of libflashplayer.so"

~./huludesktop has the following:
[display]
fullscreen = FALSE
width = 640
height = 480
pos_x = 0
pos_y = 0

[remote]
lirc_device = /tmp/hulu_lircd
lirc_remote_identifier = mceusb
lirc_release_suffix = _UP
lirc_repeat_threshold = 10
button_name_up = Up
button_name_down = Down
button_name_left = Left
button_name_right = Right
button_name_select = OK
button_name_menu = Home

[flash]
flash_location = /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so

[screensaver]
suspend_script = (null)
resume_script = (null)

[version]
latest = (null)
eula_version = 1

If I edit the location to point to where libflashplayer.so is located, it still fails.  When I go back to ./huludesktop, the file has been restored to the original version and my changes are gone.

flashplugin-alternative.so does not exist anywhere on the MD.  All I have is flashplugin-nonfree and libflashplayer.so.  Before the crash, when I built an MD, I had to manually install Flashplayer 10.2 via dpkg, but that file is no longer available on the adobe website.

Where can I modify LMCE Hulu to point to the correct libflashplayer.so file?

Thanks

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Hulu unable to find flash
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 03:28:57 pm »
the apt package flashplugin-nonfree should be installed.

-Thom

tmwillett

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 01:58:46 am »
Yes, flashplugin-nonfree is installed, but Hulu can't find it.  Do you know where I can change the hulu config to tell it to point to flash-nonfree?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 02:02:13 am »
It should have already been set up in this fashion with the package automatically installed ...

-Thom

tmwillett

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 02:13:01 am »
Ordinarily, I'd agree with you Thom, but in this case it's not working like it should.  I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the hulu player on the MD, but still get the same error when I run Hulu from the Orbiter.  If I edit the /root/.huludesktop file to point to the correct location in an effort to fix it, it gets overwritten when I launch hulu.  If I can figure out what it overwriting it, I can change the path there.  Any idea on what is overwriting the config file when I launch it?

Strangely enough, if I open Firefox and go to hulu.com, I can watch TV there fine.  The browser knows where flash is, but huludesktop does not.

Help!

tmwillett

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 03:59:58 am »
Any thoughts?  I've built another MD image and it's still the same issue.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 05:25:39 am »
The file is being overwritten by Hulu Player each time it starts. This is the intended behaviour.

Where IS it installing libflashplayer*.so ?

-Thom

tmwillett

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 12:27:28 am »
That's the problem.  It doesn't exist..  Here's all of the files on the MD with the word 'flash' in them

/usr/share/doc/flashplugin-nonfree
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/flashplugin-nonfree.desktop
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/flashplugin-nonfree
/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so

I've since blown away the LMCE system to try another.  The last round of updates made the system unstable, even with a rebuild, so I'm not sure if it's my configuration or what.  Either way, I'll revisit this again at a later date.

Thanks for the help.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:44:37 am »
I am sorry, We haven't been able to reproduce your situation on several subsequent installs, so I am confused as to what might have happened.

-Thom

bwhitson

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 06:35:21 pm »
-tmwillett

I was having the same problem with my MDs. If you haven't done so already. Open hulu -> click the install link -> and download the .tar to your desktop. Launch the KDE desktop from the MD menu and locate the tar you just downloaded. Extract the .so file to the desktop and copy it to the location that Hulu is looking for it. Restart your system and hulu should fire up without a hitch.

-b

I'm sure this could be accomplished from the command line but I'm still attached to the GUI.
Duct Tape is like the force - It has a dark side and holds the universe together.

pointman87

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 07:24:53 pm »
try cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so

that way hulu should find flash

BR Daniel

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 07:25:35 pm »
Guys, we need to find the source of this problem, instead of just duct taping over it.

-Thom

bwhitson

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 11:48:59 pm »
Thom

I will try and do a clean install on a spare box over the weekend.
I would think that the issue happens when the createMD***.sh (forget the exact command) is ran.  My core was able to run hulu when i first started. Come to think of it I was watching Hulu when I ran the command from my laptop through ssh.

I'm not exactly sure what to look for but if you can point me in the right direction I would be more than happy to help out.

-b

Duct Tape is like the force - It has a dark side and holds the universe together.  ;D
Duct Tape is like the force - It has a dark side and holds the universe together.

Kramden

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 05:14:59 pm »
I have this issue also, after a clean install from 8.10 final dvd. Hulu works fine on hybrid but on three MDs cant find Flash. libflashplayer.so is located in /home/<username>/Desktop on the core. I'm not able to check for it on MDs at the moment. I will look when I can.

Kramden

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 07:19:58 pm »
If I recall correctly, Hulu was not installed on the hybrid when Diskless_CreateTBZ was run. Also, I think that I installed Hulu on the MDs before it was installed on the hybrid. I have Hulu now running on the hybrid and have rebuilt the image of the MD from pluto-admin. That didn't fix it. Hulu still can't find Flash. I may do another install and see if the order is of consequence.